Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree105Likes

Thread: Attracting deer onto your property / farm

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Waimata View Post
    That's an interesting comment. Are you suggesting that the sheep just eat the hay too short for deer to enjoy, or are you saying there is something else about sheep that deter sheep?
    I'd also be interested in what TeRei says.
    Theres something wrong with the deer around here then as there always in with the sheep, once I even got one into the sheepyards with a mob.
    I have heard before you won't find deer in with sheep and cattle but experience tells me they arnt the least bit worried and often use the livestock as a early warning that something is happening.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Yesmate View Post
    Food is the only thing you'll need to do, as another said they go nuts and will travel a long way for brassicas.as also said be careful what you wish for as there will always be more deer turning up than what you are seeing, they seem to tell their mates and its all on.try some radishes then get ready for a deer frenzy!!
    A dairy farmer in Taranaki grew several hectares of radishes, but his cows wouldn't eat them.

loads of shepherds will tell tales of loan spiker who has befriended sheep or cattle and come right into yards with them...there is a canada goose just out of geraldine who thinks its a sheep.....
    spent weekend watching fallow....close to cows....close to wallabies..... not at all phazed by our presence ,they KNOW they not hunted so happy to graize 3-400 yards away,close to cover.
    BSA270 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    It works better if you really really want the crop to feed your own livestock rather than have it stolen by deer.
    Up the road 2 years ago that was happening, in desperation the farmer who lives off the property a got a bird scarer that worked for a while but really pissed off the neighbors going off at random all night. He was eventually forced to turn it off at night by sleep deprived locals but by then the deer had gotton used to it anyhow.
    2 of us shot it one evening, we counted 17 on what was left of the crop and shot 5 before they twigged that the noise wasn't the bird scarer. As we were picking them up the others started wandering back out.
    I knew a Safari park operator who had bird scarers set up for that reason. The deer got so used to it that if the client missed a shot, the deer often just stood there thinking it was the scarer going off

Sent from my SM-G525F using Tapatalk
    Moa Hunter, Micky Duck and BSA270 like this.

come on Phil.......you really want excuse to pinch Sharons green apple shampoo and body wash....be honest its OK......

seriously ,it might if you have been feeding them apples so tuned in to the scent......
    know of one farmer who feeds his fenced in deer onions.......one has to wonder if the venison makes you fart more than normal???

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    I'd also be interested in what TeRei says.
    Theres something wrong with the deer around here then as there always in with the sheep, once I even got one into the sheepyards with a mob.
    I have heard before you won't find deer in with sheep and cattle but experience tells me they arnt the least bit worried and often use the livestock as a early warning that something is happening.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
    3 course meal.......beef steak,mutton chops and venison steak...PERFECT.
    Trout, BRADS, inozz and 1 others like this.

Put feed out every day in the winter.

If it gets cold enough they will start wandering and once one finds it, the rest will rock up.

Will get quite costly over time, but it certainly works as they have been doing it for centuries in Scotland and it certainly keeps deer (mostly stags) on some very crap ground which deer would usually leave in the winter.

Assume you actually plan on shooting a few?
    Micky Duck and Shadowsol like this.

If the farm is a commercial operation I wouldn't go out of my way trying to purposely attract deer onto it. They do a huge amount of damage which is disproportionate to the enjoyment (which will wear off very quickly) you will get from shooting a deer here and there in a paddock.
    This winter we had this paddock in crop (fodderbeet) and it got mauled by mobs of deer coming out of the bush, amazing how much damage the wee buggers can do and when they have that much feed in front of them they are quite selective on what they will actually eat so they go round pulling entire young plants out of the ground, have a few bites and then onto the next one. It's nice seeing them about but if I had a choice then them not being there to begin with would probably be the more attractive option. We had some lease land up on the tops (blue mountains) which the lease finished on and we haven't renewed and owners had it planted in trees a month or so back.. I swear every single one of those seedlings has had the top eaten out of it, will be a huge loss.
    BRADS, Micky Duck, BSA270 and 1 others like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

I have done the maize trick, and I got thousands of pictures of the same possum and the same rat over three months !
    6x47, Phil_H and Ben Waimata like this.

This thread is bizarre😂

Banned
    If the native is mineral deficient then putting copper, zinc, cobalt, moly, salt, selenium etc etc in with your fert as well as getting the PH up to 6.5 will make your pasture very attractive
    Ben Waimata likes this.

cheers guys - almost the right time to plant a brassica crop by the looks so have passed that on - see how we get on :-)

Summer feed crops: in by Labour weekend. Winter feed crops: in after Labour weekend.
    Shadowsol likes this.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I just bought a 50 acre block that is surrounded by forest and has heavy new growth of pines (xmass tree size) and gorse all over it.
    Full of deer, pig and other sign because access for hunting is very restricted. No adjacent farms with stock on them or "doc land" just private pine forest all around.

Plan is to turn it into a private hunting and shooting "refuge". Will set up a really good plinking range as well like Hickock 45 has.

Will have to clear tracks, do some (lots of) thinning and also clear and plant some areas where they can feed.

I thought of salt blocks and planting "crops" that self propagate.

Any and all good ideas would be appreciated.
    There are always 3 sides to every story.
    Yours, mine and the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    plant a brassica crop on the boundary
    nailed it.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.