Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree261Likes

Thread: Bad feeling

LBD
    Yes... Once in the bush, alone... 40 years ago and recall it like yesterday. Wharfedale track Canterbury... hair standing up back of neck, it was a warm sunny day but I got all cold and shivery while at a good pace. About half way from road end to what is now called the Wharfedale hut... put the wind right up me.
    It went all still and quiet, any breeze dropped right off...

I had been through there many times and went through again several times in later years, never sensed it again
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Had my 7mm08 in hand when I was confronted by a stomping, snorting bush bull at my campsite in the Raukumaras. It was dark. I suddenly didn't feel so big and brave!
    Surely you clapped it right?

I used to get dark thoughts and feelings everytime we stalked past this lone old dead Scots pine on Mar Lodge estate in the Scottish highlands...turned out it had been used to hang folk back in the day.....heard lots of stories about the island on lake Taupo too....
    Micky Duck and caberslash like this.

There is this low laying, bowl shaped area with plenty of pigs in it and only nikau palms growing here. All around is thick bush and it drops down about 15m. Every time I enter, the gps freaks out and I find it incredible hard to find my way out again even though it's not that big at all. Strange place that is...
    Micky Duck likes this.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    Clapper and shouted etc.

Only the Bush Gremlins, they sneak up behind you and blow on the back of your neck when you're heading back to camp alone in the dark.
    They become invisable if you spin around to look at them.
    Ranger 888 likes this.

You will learn no harm in the hills lad
    Pengy and Sako851 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    Also you can develop a reasonable "sixth sense" or third eye/pineal gland. Where you don't see with your eyes but perceive with your mind..

Stalkers tend to, knowingly or not, as you tune into the environment, try and ground yourself, and turn your prescense down.
    Bare feet and long hair help. Bare feet for electrical and metaphorical grounding.
    Your hair is directly connected to your nervous system, like a thousand antennae.
    I've only got like 10 antennas left
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Years ago in the Whirinaki up past the Rogers hut beautiful sunny day. Working through some bush it sort of got darker and darker even though I could see the sun above the trees. Got a really spooky feeling just couldn't shake it. Stalked out of the area and felt better. Years later I was reading one of Barry Crumps books as it was written about that area. He described the same feeling it wa san area called Maungataniwha "Mountain of the black water goblin". I pulled out my topo and it was the same area I got that put the shits up me. Yeah there's strange stuff out there.

Had a weird one in the back yard checking on the chooks late at night. As I walked through the cutout in the hedge it felt like there was a fan heater blasting down on me. Breath that big breathing down on me I just kept going in the back door. No go look that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    I've only got like 10 antennas left
    Homer Simpson is even worse when it comes to antennas.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

Right, gather round and I'll tell you a long winded story, take from it what you will...

When I was a young fella I grew up on a large sheep and beef station south of port Waikato that had a heap of significant sites important to Maori.
    There's are several Pā sites on the place and plenty of old kumara pits and other evidence of pre European Maori settlement.
    Us kids used to get together with other kids on the farm and roam about getting into mischief and exploring the beach, the bush etc.
    One day while clambering about on some limestone cliffs we came across a rock burial and kids being kids we took the skull and took it home with us. Dad ended up finding it and he was bloody ropeable and bundled us in the car and made us go and tell the Kaumātua at the local Marae about what we had done. They took the skull back and at that point I think we kind of thought that was the end of it.
    Fast forward a year or two and I was one of those kids that developed really bad night terrors, one night I remember dreaming that an alien came and took me from my room and took me to this small stand of native bush that was up the road from my house, the alien then produced some kind of small trinket and pushed this trinket into the earth, I'm not sure what the significance of this part of the dream was about but remember being paralysed with fear the entire time but unable to leave or run away. I awoke from this dream screaming and crying, but here is the strange thing... I was outside the house, at 3am in the morning outside the house screaming and crying and super confused about being outside. Eventually the outside light turned on and my mum came outside just as bewildered as I was as to what I was doing, why I was out there, and why I was screaming and inconsolable about what I perceived to have just happened to me. This is an actual fact that mum will remind me about every now and then "that time when you were outside screaming and crying at 3 in the morning"
    I actually had to go to "kiddy counselling" for a while as especially after that experience my terror at going to sleep at night was a major problem, I remember one of the tools they gave me to cope was a burning jar, so if I was really bad then I'd let mum or dad know, they'd get me out of bed and I'd draw a picture of what I was afraid of and then we would out the picture in a big glass jar and mum or dad would throw a match in there and it helped me somewhat relax a bit.
    Eventually I grew out of it and the days turned into years and one summer evening when we lived in North Canterbury I was driving along the road to check some cows we had grazing at another property and I saw this old Maori boy leaning on a fence post on the side of the gravel road I was driving down and he seemed to be sipping from a jug of beer! I stopped to ask him if he was ok or needed a lift somewhere and he told me he was all good and we got to chatting a bit, I couldn't help prodding him about his jug of beer, to which he laughed "oh no, it's actually cold tea! back in the day when we were logging the native in the Waikato we all drank cold tea from a jug to help us keep cool"
    This got me talking about the place I grew up and all the fun we had as kids exploring the native bush and the historic Maori sites etc. We ended up having a good chat for half an hour or so and I needed to carry on, he assured me he didn't need a ride and for some reason I didn't think that was strange, considering he was an older chap in the middle of nowhere, sipping a jug of cold tea!
    As I bid him farewell he uttered a word in Maori and I didn't quite catch it, I asked him to repeat it and he said it again and I asked him what it meant, he just said I should look it up one day since all us young fullas are good with computers and what not.
    I actually forgot all about it and then one day was reading something on the net about the Uruweras when I skimmed across the word "Patupaiarehe"... Wait... Something triggered my memory.. that's what that old fella with the jug of tea said that time!
    I banged it into Google and started reading about Patupaiarehe, guardian spirits that live in the forest and mostly only move about in the mist or the darkness. I couldn't help but think about the place we grew up and began remembering times and things etc from when we were kids and as the memory of that time I found myself outside in the middle of the night ran through my mind a huge chill ran down my spine, was very strange indeed and I couldn't stop thinking about it for days. I told this story on a Facebook page and a woman contacted me and put me in touch with a Kaumātua who she said may be able to help you understand some more of everything so I gave her a call and spoke to her for a bit.
    She told me that when I was a kid "something" tried to teach me something that was related to the time we had taken the bones from the rock burial but I was to naive and stricken by fear and misunderstanding to get the whole picture. She said it's taken 20 odd years but you have now learned that your deeds don't go without being noticed or without repercussion.
    I'm not really one to read a lot into stuff like this normally but kind of strange thinking about all the "coincidences" that had to line up for me to draw a conclusion (that I'm still not sure about..!) Especially that old fella with the jug of tea, I don't know why I didn't think that was more weird at the time than I do now thinking back about it. Maybe I really am a slow learner...
    doinit, Ryan, erniec and 14 others like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Visiting the battlefield at Culloden some years ago I was suddenly overcome and felt terrible, feeling like I had been hit in the stomach with a sledge hammer. A staff member came over and asked if I had ancestors who fought here which I confirmed was correct. He said he has seen it often in descendants who visit. I came right after a few minutes and continued my visit in a fairly somber mood. I had never experienced it before or since.
    Micky Duck and rewa like this.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Clapper and shouted etc.
    Sorry, misread your post. I've posted about this before. It was a tricky situation, river bed right on the border of private land and DOC land. Pretty sure the animal was feral, but not 100%. Managed to scare it away, but had a round chambered and would have shot it in self-defence if needed.

When I was 14. I was up the back of Lake Waikaremoana, Neaking into a patch of pungas and Ferns, looking for pigs I'd heard with Dads 44-40wcf
    I was bending over half crouched looking for pork when!!! I got a fair wack up the arse..... I jumped and spun around with my hair on end n heart thumping in me tonsils ..... there was
    Nothing there, just ferns and Punga????? What the heck just happened!!! I had unwittingly pulled back a branch and it got hooked back long enough on something to violently flick back around and scare the squeezers out of me!!! Ha ha good times....
    The only worse bad feeling I've had... was in 2014 Doing FIFO, traveling to work and being stuck in a Bus in Mali West Africa. Waiting for the local driver to get to the bus. We where Outside the international airport in the car-park, surrounded by local Hawkers wanting to sell us anything and everything. With a drunk Aussie Drill operator goading n waving bundles of money thru the window. Jeering and teasing them with it... The only time I've ever felt the desire to want too kill someone...... Drunken mongrel.... You shoulda seen the seething look in their eyes .......They where not happy with the bus full of white westerners that's for sure........... Talk about bad feelings eh!
    ANOTHERHUNTER likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    De ponga people!

The “Patupaiarehe”, the fairy people who lived in the deepest and most remote depths of the Waikato, Urewera, and Whanganui forests.

There was also Tarapikau, who was the malign spirit of the forest in the Pureoras. Tarapikau would lay in wait to lure women deep into the bush by calling to them. If a woman tried to follow his voice, she would never be seen again. It was said that if you saw a red eel in a stream that you should immediately turn back, as that marked the boundary of where he lived. Some pretty out there stuff, right?! Never seen a red eel before.

Back in the 1960’s a couple of hunters were chasing stags in the roar in dense bush somewhere west of lake Taupo. They came across an ancient partially finished waka, which was regarded as tapu by locals. A short time later both men were killed in workplace accidents. Admittedly they had dangerous occupations in the logging industry (one was a faller/cross cutter, and the other was a breaker out), but the view from local Maori was that their deaths were caused by the interaction with a tapu site. It would be fascinating to find something like that in the bush (but preferably not that particular waka!)
    madmaori, Micky Duck and rewa like this.