Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Baiting Wild Pigs

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Allgood View Post
    Go to your local bakery with an empty 20 litre bucket and ask them to fill it with bread yeast mix..........make sure you take a second bucket with you as it will double in size as it rises.....
    Do you do anything with it? Mix with water or something to activate it?

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Do you do anything with it? Mix with water or something to activate it?
    They premix it so that it starts the process of rising etc.........thats why you will need a second empty bucket. The first lot I got was just a ball of dough in the bottom 3rd of the bucket. By the time I did some other stuff on the way home it had overflowed the top of the bucket and was still rising.

Took it up to the farm ( 2 full buckets the next day) and the manager used it to bait a pig trap. Trapped pigs the following day.

Note: the smell of the yeast fermenting was very strong and had to drive with the windows open.
    Pengy and MB like this.

Mate kills a few goats and hangs them up just off ground on a tree so they rot and drip but cant be cleaned out in 1 scoff. Gets lotsa pigs also because he reckons the rotting flesh carries the scent better in the wind.
    mimms likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by A330driver View Post
    Quote”Found a tonne of Yankee videos on YouTube (crikey, there's one where a hunter headshots 3 pigs with 1 round using bait - grain?) and it seems to be the preferred method of pig hunting over there. Did a bit more scratching around and it seems like the best bait is fermented maize (corn)?

Nah mate...the lazy ones use this shit ...TANNERITE.....look that one up,saw it used in Texas,Austin to be exact.A mate of mine whom I work with has a hog issue,not much of a hunter and uses this stuff as a “quick-fix”........plenty of videos of “hogs & tannerite”,certainly not my style,but when your overrun with pigs,its actually a quick fix.

TANNERITE is commonly sold in many states,you have to mix the ingredients........I have used it several times when shooting,its a short lived thrill type experience
    Um, I'm not sure that Tannerite is legal in NZ (at least not without some kind of controlled substance licence)? I mean, you can buy ammonium nitrate and aluminium powder readily enough, but once combined you are technically liable for both manufacturing and possessing an explosive. I did watch a few videos of cullers using Tannerite. Not pretty.
    Although wild pigs are an issue over here with regards to the amount of damage they do to native flora, as far as I can tell (judging by the hog culling videos I've seen online), we don't have anywhere near the amount of wild pig infestation they do in the States. Still blowing them up does seem a bit excessive - won't be long before they're mowing them down with drones!

If you have Netflix, look up a show called Meat Eater. He does one episode on trapping pigs with maize, and they go through the recipe.