Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Basic deer hunting info

The oldest advice around - read Saxton and whatsit - someone help me out here

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    The oldest advice around - read Saxton and whatsit - someone help me out here
    Lentle and Saxton

Thanks for all the replies! For sure making me rethink and do some research. And no I'm not planning on killing all the deer, I just want 1 decent one and figure my odds are better with higher quantities of animals. The guy I live with found some old Graft boys videos, stoked to have a look! Cheers.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    Lentle and Saxton
    Red Deer in New Zealand

https://www.mcleodsbooks.co.nz/p/hun...ting-manual--5

Mandatory reading. It is found in many regional libraries in New Zealand. Every time I take it out of our local library the librarian asks me the same thing, are you sure you want to take this book out again?

Roger Lentle is one hell of an interesting guy. We went to a talk of his in the early noughties at Massey on the North Shore. It was so interesting I can’t even remember what it was about.
    The bomb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dainer View Post
    Thanks for all the replies! For sure making me rethink and do some research. And no I'm not planning on killing all the deer, I just want 1 decent one and figure my odds are better with higher quantities of animals. The guy I live with found some old Graft boys videos, stoked to have a look! Cheers.
    South Island have better quality reds. In the North Island you can shoot 6-8pt scrubbers all day long, our bush is very dense and most stags you'll encounter very close if you're bush hunting, walk far away from any car park and camp at least 3 hours walk and base yourself from there and you shouldn't run into too many hunters. In my experience high numbers= more likely to see younger animals. You could do 2 roars trips, one for reds down south(late march-mid april depending on area) and another for Sika in the central North Island(mid April into May). Don't get your hopes up on getting a good stag though, 1000's of us try every year and it's not very often you get a real nice stag unless you know someone with a private block that doesn't get hunted too often. Cheers.
    Steve123 likes this.

@Dainer here ya go this will get the heart thumping
    https://vimeo.com/281533588/026385b1fb
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    Lentle and Saxton
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by kiwigreen View Post
    South Island have better quality reds. In the North Island you can shoot 6-8pt scrubbers all day long, our bush is very dense and most stags you'll encounter very close if you're bush hunting, walk far away from any car park and camp at least 3 hours walk and base yourself from there and you shouldn't run into too many hunters. In my experience high numbers= more likely to see younger animals. You could do 2 roars trips, one for reds down south(late march-mid april depending on area) and another for Sika in the central North Island(mid April into May). Don't get your hopes up on getting a good stag though, 1000's of us try every year and it's not very often you get a real nice stag unless you know someone with a private block that doesn't get hunted too often. Cheers.
    Agreed!
    As a fellow Canadian transplant and bow hunter, welcome! Stoked to have you around! I’m from Alberta also
    SI alps are comparable to the east slopes back home. Not quite the Rogers pass or kootenays but still big wild country! Take it seriously. Great stalking country for sure!

The north island places I have been (kaimanawas, Kawekas, kaimais) are very dense bush....although there are areas in the kaweka ranges that are a bit more open... shooting lanes for arrows can be incredibly tricky. Heaps of deer around but be prepared to have them walk by at 40 yards and never get a glimpse of them! I’ve found success sitting on slips (read mudslides) and creeping in close by using the edges for cover... I use satellite views on google maps to identify slips.... perhaps some lads on here might know of some more open terrain on the North island?
    Also, practice longer shots. The traditional whitetail at 15 yards out of a tree stand isn’t to be found here. Prepare yourself to shoot out to 60yards on the slips. My rule is practice at double what you hunt. After regularly shooting at 120, I find 60 is a slam dunk. Any further than that though and an animal can just step out of the way or might get maimed.
    Southern kaimanawas apparently have some good areas (desert road anyone care to comment?) for more open glassing/spot and stalk hunting like we do a lot back home for mule deer..... haven’t checked it out for myself yet, I’m hoping to get there later this year.

So my humble thoughts, if you live in Auckland, definitely go see the South Island if you can, it’s well worth it even if you don’t get many opportunities on animals.
    You should have plenty of opportunities on the north island, just that it can be a bit frustrating in dense bush as you watch the groceries walk away with supplejack and fern fronds covering their vitals... hence I bought a rifle last week
    How long are you here for? Business or tourism?
    Good luck and happy hunting mate!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Game for any Game

My bro-in-law has been living in Calgary for a number of years so I'd be happy to help an Albertan out (I've been twice but not hunting). Sing out if you need a hand with a place to stay/gear (Nth Canty)...I'm not a great hunter LOL but there are heaps on here that give good advice.
    Soulosurfer likes this.

Yeah thanks for that! I've come to the conclusion that I'm gonna stay in the north island for the reds and the fallow roar, then head south and chase the tahr and shamoi in the south island! Get a bit of both worlds!
    ANTSMAN and Soulosurfer like this.

march april for the roar......first weekend in May is D DAY if you like swinging a shotgun at waterfowl it could be worth staying a while longer..with minimal effort over a week we got my Swedish mate black swan,canada goose,grey goose,parrie duck,mallard duck,pukeko,and a lovely specimin male spoonie/shoveler duck.

Also give the Sika deer a go in central north island if you want a real challenge !
    kiwigreen and A330driver like this.

Quote Originally Posted by The bomb View Post
    Also give the Sika deer a go in central north island if you want a real challenge !
    Agreed, Sika is definitely the most fun bush stalking. Silly buggers make a heap of sound when you spook them.
    Micky Duck and A330driver like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    Ok I'll disagree with flyblown on this one.

You're unlikely to get a nice red on your first trip down south.

But you will get great scenery and mountains that just arent there in the north. It's well worth going even if deer prospects are fewer. At a rough guess from my experience red deer densities are 4x higher in the north island. Just better climate and ecosystem productivity.

I'd suggest a training trip or two if you're in auckland. Walk in to the main range of the tararuas like a southern crossing or up to dundas hut ( good preparation for the SI west coast) then a visit preferably crossing the range in the rimutakas like over south saddle or boulder ck (not the papatahi track) as that's the only place in the north island at all like the SI east coast. Both these will be easier country than the main Southern Alps. Easier country down south is the Lewis Pass.
    OK I'll disagree with Bagheera. Coming from Canada I really doubt the SI scenery is much different. I sentence @Dainer to two full weeks in the Kaimai's