Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Better Hunting - free online NZ hunter training programme by the Game Animal Council

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    that is the job of the police - warranted Officers of DOC and this GAC have very limited powers on private land or public roads -the exceptions on private land is shooting of protected species under the Wildlife Act and little else - they do not have powers in respect to shooting up signs or ripping gates of - thats vandalism and its a police matter -
    I should add signs within DOC managed Public land yes a DOC warranted Officer can act but a person appointed as a Warranted Officer under the GAC act probably not - likely not under the scope of their warrant

Quote Originally Posted by veryfuturistic View Post
    Not going to wade into the Game Animal Council discussion, just giving my perspective having worked through a fair bit of the material now.

I think the online course fills a big need for new hunters and provides an accessible way for anyone to learn the basics. There's a lot of information out there, much of which assumes some prior knowledge, or isn't focused on NZ conditions -- which is natural, but can catch new hunters out. Nothing beats practical knowledge or learning from others, but this kind of material is important because it works from the ground up and you can do it at home when the weather is mud. Yeah there is some stuff I already knew, but there's heaps I didn't. And presenting it in context makes all the difference.

As someone who's done a hell of a lot of "distance learning" over the last couple of years the modules are also a lot slicker and easier to use than some of the clunky polytechnic stuff I've had to deal with.

Overall great job @LarryB and cheers for sharing it
    I am pleased some are finding it usefull and its well put together but dont forget their is an NZDA hunts course - but my overall views on game management dont change - just get out there get a permit and shoot deer - thats what we need -

yes thats true but for most their deer are endemic to their country ( largely some exceptions eg muntjac sika in England ) how would you like to work by USA rules and only be allowed to shoot a few each year and only in a season - not nice at all - sit and polish rifles for a lot of the year - no we have it really great - lets keep it that way
    LarryB asked that we don't derail his thread.
    Start another thread and get in to it there.
    But I will say here that you are expressing the exact sentiments I described about kiwi attitude earlier.
    You are also cherry picking information about hunting in America. It is possible to shoot quite a few animals each year if you want to put some effort in.
    Start another thread if you wish to continue this topic.
    Sorry for the derail @LarryB. What you are doing is great.
    Talking with the likes of Tui, Pania, Dave Benfell etc who provide similar sounding opportunities for hunters, they can not keep up with demand.
    erniec, LarryB and veryfuturistic like this.
    Overkill is still dead.

Ive had a play and a bit of a look around looks awesome so far. I have no doubt it will help people to get started.
    This and the hunts course will go a long way
    LarryB likes this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Hi all.

We are supportive of this initiative by the GAC to provide resources for new and learning hunters. Please leave this thread to discussion of the Better Hunting Platform; if you wish to have a discussion about the wider role of the GAC and any speculation about their goals, please start a new thread. Maybe have a read of their strategic plan too.

Cheers.
    199p, rugerman, quentin and 6 others like this.

Awesome work fella, looks professional and full of info
    LarryB likes this.

Have to have a look. Does it cover eatable plants for hunters like me

we as NZ hunters have free and unrestricted access to the public Conservation estate - its is yes a privilege but it is also a legal right - why do we need a quasi semi govt organization to tell us what we can and cannot do on public land and yes under the act they work under they can do just that - ask overseas hunters who have to endure all sorts of bloody rigmarole to hunt - they are damn jealous of what we have -why change it - this GAC came about because the govt of the day after an election needed more numbers in parliament - they imported an MP and this GAC was the bargaining chip - we do not need it
    Back when I started hunting (and probably you too) hunters were the majority of the people using the public estate. We were taught common sense from birth, before it was displaced by political correctness, & we learnt how to look after ourselves when got off the beaten track. Kids today spend too much time on 1 electronic device or another & are very unaware of the real world around them so need to have some sort of formal training. Also more & more facilities are being provided for non hunters, such as trampers & cyclists, to use the public lands so hunters need to be educated to the fact we are sharing the land & behave accordingly.
    kotuku and LarryB like this.

Thanks tonnes everyone! As always we're keen to hear ideas for future training or improvements etc. Re. practical training, the platform is not intended to replace or compete with HUNTS, but complement and be something of a stop-gap where practical training isn't available. There's way more demand than capacity for in-person training, and I'd hope Better Hunting will encourage more demand, not less.

Quote Originally Posted by blip View Post
    Does it cover eatable plants for hunters like me
    If you're a deer there's a game on plant identification based upon plants deer prefer or not
    kukuwai and Eat Meater like this.

Just finished doing the Hunting and Firearms Essentials certificate course out of interest, passed.
    While I possibly don't agree with everything presented I reckon it's a great resource for anyone new or intending to get involved in hunting. Probably wouldn't hurt anyone , even experienced hunters/shooters, to have a look through it.Just don't do it when you're tired and/or having a drink or two, can lead to mis-reading things.
    Anyhow, congrats to @LarryB and your team. It's not a bad effort, possibly just needs a few tweaks to refine it. Just my 2c.
    LarryB and veryfuturistic like this.

Thanks heaps @woods223, that makes my morning.

The programme is new and I'm still improving bits and pieces. Some tweaks are easy to make on the fly, and others I'll keep track of for a more formal 'review/update' project. Either way any input to improve things is much appreciated - can email through to support at nzgac.org.nz and I'll file whatever I don't do right away to investigate later. All feedback goes to me, not into a black hole! I'm pretty motivated to keep it all as accurate/realistic as possible but don't have eyes on it anymore, started working on the next bit - so folks with experience pointing things out is much appreciated. Thanks again!
    STC likes this.