Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Bush Ramblings

Bush Ramblings

There's been a bit of internal debate as to whether or not to write up this rambling through the jungle. Things didn’t exactly go to plan, or in a way that ethically I was happy with. This certainly isn’t a perfect hunting story. Perhaps that's why I pressed the Submit button. Early January, the Sako strapped to the pack we'd clambered up to my favorite tops haunt in the Kawekas. It had been a blast, and I’d ticked off some personal goals, namely 1) don’t rush to shoot the first deer you see, and 2) enjoy the trip and deeply breathe in the scenery. I’d spent three days glassing and evaluated a dozen sika including a couple of respectable young stags in velvet, and a hind and bambi fawn the size of a handbag. I eventually took a young hind and spiker. Unfortunately, the spiker had developed “knobs” when on the ground, which I hadn’t seen while glassing I’d had the luxury of glassing to make a call on what to harvest and had wanted to – save a bro, shoot a doe.

A few weeks later the Browning came out of the cabinet, and a Kaimai bush stalk it was. The goal, a meat animal, preferably a hind without a young one. We’d heard movement off the track, and Kai had us trailing into a consistent wind in wet, overcast conditions. Just perfect. Sure enough, 5 minutes in, he locked up. As did I. Silently scanning the bench ahead for movement. A young, healthy hind popped up, and boosted to our left. I tried to get a bead on her, but she soon was ghosting through the thick supplejack. A quick fawn call, and she barked back, obscured from view, never to be seen again. Too slow. Wake up. Make a coffee.

Name:  A.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  4.97 MB
    There's one ahead

After setting up camp that morning we explored some new, steep territory. We put up a couple of animals only metres away without making eye contact. Late in the day, with fatigue setting in, a careless slip of the foot nearly resulted in a decent fall down a gut into a dry creek bed far below. Wake up, don’t make dumb decisions. Time to pull the pin and trundle back to camp. We boosted back, fighting the supplejack and getting ripped by particularly nasty bush lawyer. I nearly trod trod on a bedded hind and fawn.

Day two, we opted to hunt down a slope adjacent from camp. The theory being they’d be resting up, tucked up on little ledges enjoying the warm morning rays. About an hour in, I’d stopped to have a bit of quiet time, sitting on a particularly peaceful bench. After a brief reading break, Kai notioned us forward toward a small gut. It took us about 5 minutes of standing still, moving forward slowly, standing still, scanning to my left… there, a hind, front on, staring at us 10 metres away. I opted to drop the red dot down past the exposed head and neck, to her chest obscured by light foliage. Squeezing a round off, she crashed away… Yes! Success. Putting the boy on sit, I sat there as patiently as I could for 10 minutes while he whined and whined and… (repeat)

Name:  B.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  3.49 MB
    She was standing face forward in the gap above

Moving forward, I was dismayed to see I hadn’t dropped her a few metres from the spot. 40 minutes later, there was no sign of blood and she was moving steadily away. I’d either completely missed (tick), or I’d hit the foliage at close quarters. Later I concluded she’d been standing up on a mound and I’d most likely missed her chest shooting under her. I should have taken the available shot. Stink. Stink. Stink. Stink.

We covered some kilometres that day with no other contact made. To be honest, I was pretty gutted. Kai was doing his job – I wasn’t doing mine. At least the deer wasn’t injured. My simple goal bush hunting this year is to be more efficient in placing lethal shots.
    By day three, I was completely sold on bringing the frying pan along. Slightly browned Garlic pita pocket with melted cheese, bacon and peri peri sauce hit the spot. Packed up, we headed ever so slowly down the track – surely the chances of bumping an animal were pretty low? Kai hit the brakes from a canter up ahead and stopped to wind, nosing the air like a seal. Something ahead. We spent the next 5 minutes ninjaing forward, one carefully placed step at a time. Rounding a corner, Kai anxiously looked back at me. The was a deer there, somewhere in the gloom of the gully. Dead still, we waited, and waited, and waited. 10 metres ahead a hind stepped out of the gloom. Raising the rifle, quietly thumbing the hammer down from half-cock, I aimed for the exposed shoulder as she started to ghost. At the shot she bolted. It felt good.

We stood there for a couple of minutes as I collected my thoughts. We then moved slowly forward from the point of impact. 50 metres into the bush, light blood on hoof marks. This looked promising. Another 20 metres and we bumped her, as she got up and cantered from view. Kai and I exchanged a fair few whines/words over the next 30 minutes as I kept both him and I on a firm sit. Surely we had this one? But she did look like she was moving well? We trailed the marks for another half an hour. The blood marks were bright, but lighter in viscosity, and started to become more transparent, then petter out to spots then nothing. The horrible thought that I’d gut shot her began to cross my mind. Reaching a gully and a ledge leading up to mound above Kai stopped, and we spent a few minutes dead still. I’m trying more and more to let him make his own mind up, no matter how long it takes. Sure enough, after a couple of false starts, he headed up, toward a thick band of scrub. A branch snapped on the other side. We locked up. The deer was literally metres on the other side. All of us knew exactly where each other was. I opted to move around on a small trail, and immediately heard movement, spotting the hind moving through on the other side. I raised the rifle, but couldn’t get a bead on her, spotting her once more ghosting through. We spent another 40 minutes waiting again before resuming trailing. But this time she'd out thought us, moving across a stream before Kai lost her tracks. I was just devastated. From the way she was moving, she’ll live. My thought was I’d nicked her low, just behind the front shoulder.

Hot. Tired. Frustrated. Annoyed. Frankly I was *issed off with myself. We headed back to the track out. It was now midday, and time to go home. To my surprise, Kai locked up a couple of minutes later. Another deer ahead. This time we went even slower, stopping completely as we cornered a bend. After an eternity dead still, I noticed a white fleck 20 metres ahead. What is that? A fleck of white, some movement? Not a deer bum? Huh. The fleck was the movement of antlers, a stag’s head appeared, then an exposed neck. Completely unaware, he gracefully stepped into view. Aiming for the neck, I squeezed a round. At the shot, he bolted.

We made our way quietly toward the spot where he’d appeared only moments earlier. Kai moved forward and winded ahead – there was another deer there, somewhere. He wanted to track this one. A few words were spoken, and we returned back to the starting point and trailed the shot stag. About 5 minutes in, Kai locked up, and I watched as the stag popped up and bolted up through the pepper wood. We found a big splatter of bright red blood on one of the hoof marks. He’d been hit. But he was still moving.

40 minutes later, Kai had locked up multiple times. We’d stood dead still for endless minutes, tracked, crossed streams, but nothing. Then, suddenly, a crack, the sound of a bolting animal and heavy hooves hitting a nearby stream. We boosted forward. Kai picked up his scent again, and off we trailed. 15 minutes later, I’d had enough. Kai was moving much too fast and there was no sign it was the same animal. It was then he moved out of view and I heard an animal moving into water, and a dog barking. What was another dog doing here, I thought? Another hunter perhaps? I then clicked – Kai was onto an animal. First time he’d done this. I ran forward jumping into a stream, and rounded a bend to see a young stag standing in the deep stream with big round eyes staring up a Kai barking from the bank above. The Browning smoothly worked through a couple of rounds. The young stag lay still in the water.

Name:  C.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  4.25 MB

Surreal. As I processed, I reflected on what I could have done better. Upon inspection, the first shot had hit him low in the front brisket. His forward movement had been faster than I’d accounted for when placing the neck shot. If I’d waited a split second I would have had a broadside engine room shot. It felt bittersweet. But the tracking was important, as this animal would have most likely died from his first wound.

Name:  D.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  4.25 MB

I’d learnt a lot from this trip. Things tend to happen quickly in the bush, and good decision making is important. You need to be more flexible about shot placement depending on what opportunities present themselves. I’m also going to read up some more, and ask a lot more questions of those in the know around tracking, blood trailing and scenarios. For what it’s worth, I checked the rifle at 25m on the walk out. It of course, shot like a laser beam.
    Nathan F, Tahr, Trout and 28 others like this.
    "Death - our community's number one killer"

Good Story. Honest hard yards bush hunting.
    A330driver and Snoppernator like this.

Thank you, nice post. Its good the hear that it doesnt always goe as planned. Not many hunters write about the misses, the cock up's, the missed shots.

unlike snipering animals bush hunting is the real deal.finding the animal and shooting it cleanly generally take equal skill,most shots will be an un-rested snapshot at a alerted animal.good write up.
    BFA and Snoppernator like this.

Great write up mate. The kaimais can certainly test your patients, I finally got my first deer in there last year after so so many cock ups.
    Snoppernator likes this.

good honest post, whilst we may well all be aiming for perfection, it's often not the case, good on ya for keeping it real and sharing the experience
    expect nothing, appreciate everything - and there's ALWAYS something to appreciate

cool....... and isn't that a one in a lifetime photo. An eel calling in for a feed

Quote Originally Posted by NIMROD View Post
    cool....... and isn't that a one in a lifetime photo. An eel calling in for a feed
    Kind comments about my muppetry, thanks all. Forgot to mention the eel. It's quite a healthy eco-system, have to say. Plenty of animals (just hard to find) and the streams are full of big, fat, healthy eels like this one. S/he ate a full set of lungs, a busted up liver and other bits and pieces during the processing. Death roll their food like a crocodile, pretty impressive. Here's a nicer photo without the super model in it.

Name:  A.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  3.69 MB
    308, Micky Duck, Chur Bay and 5 others like this.
    "Death - our community's number one killer"

That was a tough bit of hunting but you finally nailed it, makes you wonder some times when things go wrong especially when the gun is on. As above not everyone wants to write up there missed opportunities.
    Good story.
    woods223 likes this.

great photo with eel in for a free feed. your dog is going great...being able to bail up wounded deer for you is a huge bonus...posibly just watch Kai doesnt think you no longer needed... good on you for the honest report.
    Snoppernator likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

what a great read and photo's, it felt like i was right there with you.
    fantastic bit of dog tracking.
    Micky Duck and Snoppernator like this.
    hunty
    6.5x55AI

Real world things.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
    Snoppernator likes this.

Good post. Not many people are willing to admit to their cockups but we all make them occasionally. Own them and move on.

Good write up.
    Can't help wondering what caliber you are using though.
    Overkill is still dead.

Good on you for posting your experiences. Nothing in hunting is ever certain and it doesn't always work out how you hope despite your best efforts to do so. I lost a tahr in tussock country a few years back that haunts me . We looked for a very long time but never found it despite a good hit.

Despite having shot quite a few animals I find the old nervous system can kick in and things get a bit wobbly. We hunt in more open country down here so I can take a couple of breaths to settle so the shot can be released properly. Having a ruthlessly efficient hunting buddy backing me up is a confidence boost as well (not to shoot the animal again but to take the shot if I can't get a good position sorted).
    Snoppernator likes this.