Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree19Likes
  • 1 Post By Trout
  • 2 Post By Zedrex
  • 6 Post By SmokeyJason
  • 9 Post By gundoc
  • 1 Post By Delphus

Thread: Hunters Hills Kirkliston/Nimrod overnighter

Hunters Hills Kirkliston/Nimrod overnighter

Planning a trip up the road to the Hunters Hills before the roar, for anyone who's been out there how did you go, any area's you'd avoid and conversely, any area's that you reckon I've a fair chance of bagging a fallow for the freezer? I'm planning on an over nighter so any good spots to park up would also be appreciated. Cheers
    This is a mission to bag my first venison, my shooting is good, I'm regularly knocking over wallabies at 200m with one shot with the .243 and I'm very clear that I only take shots I'm confident will be lethal.
    Also, as an aside, are Chamois good eating? Last time I was down there (10+ years ago) I saw one or two but I was on a horsebacked mission and without a rifle!
    Last edited by Zedrex; 28-01-2024 at 04:13 PM.

Just do some days trips from home,not far for you to drive.Youl learn pretty quick.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Oh it's not far at all for sure....I just fancy staying out for the night besides which I've a new tent and bag to try out
    Trout and norsk like this.
    expect nothing, appreciate everything - and there's ALWAYS something to appreciate

Yes real man sleep out, kill them till dark and wake killing some more, wallaby's I'm talking about.

Bugger the tent at this time of year. Pick a spell of good weather and just sleep out. We used to do it often in a nice wee camping spot near the waterfall on Nimrod, right in amongst the animals and great for the kids on clear night as you can lie back and watch hundreds of thousands of stars, magical! My son who is now 52 still talks about his first trip there as an 8 year old.

true that, I've had some of the best nights out under the stars, often with a saddle as a pillow BUT, as stated, this particular trip is also a shakedown run, Still, I suppose I can take the tent and put it up......and then sleep outside anyway
    expect nothing, appreciate everything - and there's ALWAYS something to appreciate

Sent pm, I was up kirkliston a couple of weeks ago
    Micky Duck likes this.