Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Cleaning Hunting Clothing

I'm pretty sure sunscreen makes us glow with reflected UV too. A big issue for those nude hunters we know.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Thanks for bring up this thread @Moa Hunter nice to see a bit of humour coming back to the old site
    Thanks for the heads up on baking soda.

Amazing stuff that.....if you have a blocked toilet or drain add one cup of baking soda and two cups of white vinegar!
    Much cheaper and better for your pipes than drainO
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dama dama View Post

I'm out of sportwash now, and its bloody expensive so I'll try out the baking soda.

Just get the "Ecostore" wash ( liquid in tall white plastic container) from the supermkt- it has no UV brighteners etc but gets stuff clean, doesn't smell either.

As an aside, I recommend you only use cold water on blood. My father was a drycleaner and he was adamant on that..

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 6x47 View Post
    Just get the "Ecostore" wash ( liquid in tall white plastic container) from the supermkt- it has no UV brighteners etc but gets stuff clean, doesn't smell either.

As an aside, I recommend you only use cold water on blood. My father was a drycleaner and he was adamant on that..
    Reptile Blood ?

make sure you hang the pretty patterned cloths INSIDE OUT on the washing line...that way the pattern doesnt fade.....
    pleased to hear Im not the only one who has a magic cleaning fairy.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    I use sportwash for my hunting clothes.
    I also hang the camo patterned ones on the clothesline inside out, but for security reasons rather than to stop them fading.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    I use sportwash for my hunting clothes.
    I also hang the camo patterned ones on the clothesline inside out, but for security reasons rather than to stop them fading.
    Sportwash is good but I found that because it is so expensive I wasn't using enough. The Baking Soda is cheap - $7.69 for a 3kg bag at New World and does a great job. Also it's no big deal if the Mrs uses some to wash something.
    PS you need a new hunting dog, one with more guarding attributes

Baking soda, which is cheap if bought as bicarb for the swimming pool.

And never, never, ever add fabric softener!
    Last edited by Bol Tackshin; 17-05-2019 at 10:41 AM.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bol Tackshin View Post
    Baking soda, which is cheap if bought as bicarb for the swimming pool.

And never, never, ever add fabric softener!
    Cheapest place to get it is Farm Source/RD1. $15.00 for a sack!
    Bol Tackshin and Moa Hunter like this.

What’s all this about washing hunting gear, I just leave mine by the front door. Next time I need it it’s in my hunting gear draw.https://youtu.be/-_kXIGvB1uU
    Moa Hunter and Ooops like this.
    Remember the 7 “P”s; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Don't totally disagree with the UV theory but often talk about when we were meat hunting and used blue and black swannies. Theory is blue creates or attracts UV rays but most deer in those days were shot under 100 yards in the open or 30-40 yards in the bush. Also when poisoning possums would often get the feeling of being watched, look around and see a deer standing looking at you close by.Generally bolted when eye contact was made. Nobody knew of UV ray theories back then. Bloody gear was usually thrown in the old agitator washing machine in the middle of the night and set on pre- soak til morning and then washed with soap powder.

I’ll give it a go, seems like all you need for cleaning is Soda and white vinegar.
    Remember the 7 “P”s; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BSA270 View Post
    Don't totally disagree with the UV theory but often talk about when we were meat hunting and used blue and black swannies. Theory is blue creates or attracts UV rays but most deer in those days were shot under 100 yards in the open or 30-40 yards in the bush. Also when poisoning possums would often get the feeling of being watched, look around and see a deer standing looking at you close by.Generally bolted when eye contact was made. Nobody knew of UV ray theories back then. Bloody gear was usually thrown in the old agitator washing machine in the middle of the night and set on pre- soak til morning and then washed with soap powder.
    UV brighteners are a relatively new thing 1990's on from memory. So any differences in the meat hunting days were more likely from synthetic fabrics which were just starting to become common in the 70's / 80's and also blue which is the most visible colour against the natural environment. To get around UV brightners I initially grated sunlight laundry soap into the machine but that is a pain, and the soap left a greasy residue.
    I then compared different clothing items on my farm deer as well as hunting situations and there is no doubt that wearing something like a safety vest will send a mob to the other end of the paddock. On the hill sitting in the dark waiting for first light and deer barking at a bush shirt washed with a Uv brigtener. Take it off, deer settles down. Pick it up, deer barks ??
    Sports wash is good but expensive, after the posts from Bol tachshin and Hutch I hear that the share price Sportswash has crashed.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 2post View Post
    What’s all this about washing hunting gear, I just leave mine by the front door. Next time I need it it’s in my hunting gear draw.https://youtu.be/-_kXIGvB1uU
    MINT !

Bush clothing......?

Years ago when one washed their clothes in the NZFS.....I just use used sunlight soap, then use plenty of stones to weigh clothing down and leave them in a flowing creek to rinse out the detergent......Then hang up clothes to drip dry like any where else.......Dose a deer notice any difference if your clothes are grubby or not ?....Who knows?.....Mind you if you can smell your self its time to have a wash.

Was eating a sausage one night when hot fat dripped off the sausage on to a modern day camo swani and melted a hole in it....really annoyed me......The label on a jacket i need to wash saids 100% polyester so one presumes that baking soda is the way to wash from whats been written on here.