Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Cleaning Hunting Clothing

Touchè

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    Haven't read the whole thread but I find a 'wash and hold' on cold, with no soap powder (never use soap powder!) gets rid of blood no problems. I leave the machine on hold overnight, then drain, spin and then do another rinse cycle.

Am always amazed at how well the clothing comes up after a simple cold water wash, after going into the machine looking like a murder scene and stinking of stag urine, death and pig shit. I wear Ridgeline, German surplus and Tru-Spec trousers mostly.

I just don't show the wife what it looks (and smells) like before it goes in her machine.
    Since you are into 'German surplus' Flyblown, I happen to have a German here who is surplus to requirements.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Boaraxa View Post
    I don't really believe the UV glowing cloths bs , my old boss used to buy the sports wash stuff for years & did it make a noticeable diff nope , in the bush at close quarters there's plenty of things that will give the game up ,glowing UV cloths im a non believer , everything just gets a normal wash but I don't really wash my jackets as that's just an outer shell so its only blood , touch of mud , I just hang them out to dry .
    You are right, in the bush and shadow the UV brighteners wont make much difference because there isn't direct sunlight getting through, it's more the filtered stuff. Out in the open they do make some difference and sometimes a lot, not as much as wearing something that is actually fluorescent but they still make us fluoresce. As noted by Yosemite Sam birds see UV. So do insects - that is how bees can see clover flowers in a pasture - the flowers fluoresce UV. If a deer sees a big blob of UV moving around a hill it is gonna turn to the deer beside it and while pointing a hoof say WTF !!
    Then there is the electromagnet field around us that game picks up. That is why Bow Hunters wear those special suits Heck or Hecxs suits ??

Quote Originally Posted by 2post View Post
    I’ll give it a go, seems like all you need for cleaning is Soda and white vinegar.
    @2post. Don't, at least not together. Baking Soda (sodium bicarbonate) as an alkali and abrasive followed by neutralising with vinegar (from the acetic acid component) and then rinsing may be effective for cleaning surfaces, but combining them up front for washing clothes would just give a sodium acetate mix. The fizzing is not a measure of the efficacy for cleaning.
    The better choice is Washing Soda (sodium carbonate), significantly higher pH, or maybe some combination of washing soda with sodium percarbonate if you're into refining a homemade cleaner blend.

New World & PaknSave: https://www.clarkproducts.co.nz/prod...oducts/laundry
    Soda Crystals | Damar Industries
    Countdown: https://shop.countdown.co.nz/shop/pr...-soda-crystals

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    @2post. Don't, at least not together. Baking Soda (sodium bicarbonate) as an alkali and abrasive followed by neutralising with vinegar (from the acetic acid component) and then rinsing may be effective for cleaning surfaces, but combining them up front for washing clothes would just give a sodium acetate mix. The fizzing is not a measure of the efficacy for cleaning.
    The better choice is Washing Soda (sodium carbonate), significantly higher pH, or maybe some combination of washing soda with sodium percarbonate if you're into refining a homemade cleaner blend.

Thanks @Puffin, i wasn’t going to combine vinegar and baking soda but meaning with the two products you can clean most things, except maybe my rifle- as you know I never clean that.
    Remember the 7 “P”s; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

I just put them in the washing machine, hang them out, bring them in and then put them away.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post

What about Borax as a cleaner / disinfectant / preservative @Puffin ? I suggest that @Boaraxa will need something effective for his testicles after his impending vasectomy

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Since you are into 'German surplus' Flyblown, I happen to have a German here who is surplus to requirements.
    I'm telling on you!

Washing machine, standard detergent, hang out, put back on and go hunting. No point over thinking it I’d say.

Anyone have any tips for washing an old Swanndri jacket so that I don't wreck the thing?

Can I assume the swannies it’s a woollen one? Hand wash with Lux flakes or just hand soap in warm water, don’t hang to dry but lay on something like wooden slats. Or leave on the floor by the front door...
    Remember the 7 “P”s; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.