Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Clothing Colour When Hunting

i had blue blaze air mesh jacket made for the dog way easier to see than the orange blaze https://youtu.be/OUWBE75VYbU
    stagstalker likes this.

Pink for me. Got there via orange and then blue.
    stagstalker likes this.

Really stands out that blue on your dog @scotty

Watch out road cones and road workers.

What about a Ghillie suit? Ever seen a green rabbit or deer?
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    True!

But there’s retards that operated in the principle of ‘if it moves - shoot!’
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

Madness wears a bright blue top and shoots more deer than half the forum here put together, a decent hunter could wear a pink tutu and still shoot deer.
    Mathias, stagstalker and uk_exile like this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Saw 2 blokes on Sunday morning in the latest and very expensive brand clothing from top to toe. Told us they had got 2 yearlings.Sweet. They left. My son turned to me and said so my shorts, home made t shirt is not good enough but what the heck the 8 pt velvety huge red stag in the back makes up for it. LOL. His mate in Taupo goes fly fishing in the Waitahanui in fluoro work clothes and hauls out big brown trout while the Jaffas in their expensive Simms gear get nothing.Admittedly he ties his own flies.
    Ned likes this.

This is an interesting watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9gbl-RS14A

Though it seems to indicate blue is the worst possible colour to wear?

I’ve used my phone to take a picture of me and Mrs Finnwolf in our hunting gear and edited the resulting photos to black and white mode to get an idea of what we might look like to a deer.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    i myself just wear plain green mostly , not camo , on the theory that no animals are green . And really if someone is going to shoot at movement I don't think clothing colour will make a blind bit of difference , particularly if colour blindness comes into it. The story put forward by moa about the poor cyclist who got shot at from close range while pumping up his bike tyre in an open area is a perfect example of 'how the f#@k can you mistake them for an animal' and start taking pot shots ,but people do anyway.
    Idiots...

It could be argued you would be safer in a ghillie suit as those idiots would be less likely to see you in the first place...?
    born to hunt - forced to work

Quote Originally Posted by Finnwolf View Post
    I’ve used my phone to take a picture of me and Mrs Finnwolf in our hunting gear and edited the resulting photos to black and white mode to get an idea of what we might look like to a deer.
    There is an easier way (stolen from elsewhere):

Go here and upload a photo of your choice,
    http://www.colblindor.com/cobl...blindness-simulator/

then select:
    Red-Blind/Protanopia

for a good simulation of what a deer would see.

What are the best patterns and colours to be invisible to game animals may not be the best to be visible to humans as a human.

Seems for most people when heading to the hills (& most hence clothing manufacturers, clothing buyers, etc) the thoughts are biased towards being invisible to animals.
    I know which end of the animal human visibility/invisibility scale I’d rather be! Home with no meat, or not home?

Seems like a mix of orange and blue broken pattern might give best of both. Why isn’t hunting clothing made like that?

Clothing companies don't seem to be sophisticated enough yet to make camo clothing for hunting wild game. It is all pseudo-military.

Why do duck hunters wear camo patterns when hunting and camo their faces/hands - birds can see colour.

Why do deer hunters wear camo - the study in the US some years ago (NZ has never done a study like this) on Whitetail deer identified their eyes can see different spectums of colour like various shades - not quite like black and white that dogs see. In short hunting deer in most States in the US, you have to wear mainly bright orange clothing (NZ version is Blaze orange - a patent i believe?) as deer don't see this colour as humans do.

Then some years ago, a version of Blue fleece came onto the NZ market, designed in NZ i believe? Down side to this new blue was when it got wet, it went dull. But remains bright during the day though a colour deer can identify with which is likely why a majority of NZ hunters haven't entirely taking a liking to. The bright blue colour appears to be a harder product to produce that stays bright in all weather conditions - NZ hunting clothing research into other green/brown camo patterns have advanced heaps in recent years with more disruptive natural bush/tree patterns on the market that might have their origins in the military but are far different that stated by some. And we all know deer with their acute senses rely on sight, smell, movement - they get 2 out of the 3 and they are usually off.

On a different note, many deer hunters also prefer not to be seen by other hunters in the bush - whether you agree or not hunters over the years have been shot by others while wearing a blaze cap, beanie as they have only seen part of the person in the bush, usually shot at short distance (the Haurangi's incident, the Kamai's incident to name a couple). I have also interviewed a deer hunter about 15 yrs ago involved in a fatality in the Sth Island - the orange hat, he thought was part of the deer's neck. So where do you think the fault lies - Identify your target.

And on the side, we see some Kiwis's wear military style clothing out shopping - a fad obviously as Mums are wearing the stuff too! Nothing to do with hunting i guess.

Just a point of view.
    dannyb likes this.