Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By 7mm tragic
  • 3 Post By WaikatoBushman
  • 1 Post By Bobba
  • 2 Post By John P

Thread: Deer Numbers in Pureora North block.

Deer Numbers in Pureora North block.

Morning all.
    Anyone else noticing a big drop in deer numbers in the north block since the green rain last year. ?
    Seems like all the places i used to see loads of sign, now im seeing hardly anything.
    Or maybe im just looking in the right places at the wrong time

TLB
    Time of the year plays a big role in deer sign observed. Around mid November many places will see a significant increase in sign and the ability to get deer a lot easier. Deer often move around a lot less July through to October.
    However, it might have nailed the deer.

It's taken me a lot of leg work to find a couple of spots where I know there are deer, seen 6 in the last 4 months. finally got one on a camera. None shot.
    I know where at least one other lives but never sighted it, dog always tells me it's there but all I ever get to see is the kicked up leaf litter where it has departed in rocket mode.
    I can't compare to last winter as I have only recently tried my hand at full on bush stalking.
    They are there but very wary.
    Gibo and Ned like this.

Is spinning yarns
    Quote Originally Posted by John P View Post
    Morning all.
    Anyone else noticing a big drop in deer numbers in the north block since the green rain last year. ?
    Seems like all the places i used to see loads of sign, now im seeing hardly anything.
    Or maybe im just looking in the right places at the wrong time
    Hey mate, as others have said on this forum in the past, Pureora is hard hunting in the winter, deer tend to be in places you wouldn't typically expect. With the arrival of spring, the hunting will get alot easier in the coming months and your usual spots will likely be inhabited again. Don't let that put you off winter hunting, I found a couple productive spots this winter, however it took some kms to figure the deer out.
    Last edited by WaikatoBushman; 23-09-2023 at 12:53 PM.
    GSP HUNTER, tetawa and 7mm tragic like this.
    Buy Once, Cry Once

I have just started going back in since the drop. Twice In last month. First trip took quite a while to find the sign, wind was all over the place which doesn't make it easy or the dog that useful. Got into about 15m on one but it got the better of me. Second trip in straight back to the good sign and dog worked his magic but again just couldn't get the shot off through the thick shit.

So they are in there but like others have said they are hard to find this time of year.
    7mm tragic likes this.

Cheers for tips guys. I was wondering if it might be a seasonal thing, as i was having bit of success Dec through to about end of feb, but then all of a sudden seemed the animals just disappeared.
    ill have to do a bit more walking and see if can find another spot x for this time of year
    Ned and 7mm tragic like this.