Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree165Likes

Thread: Deer repellant..Crock of crap

Bloody 1080 threads
    You can see why it goes bad a, two guys I have a lot a respect for @Maca49 and @Tahr both battling it out with reasonably sound arguments either way and no ground given.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    LittleDave likes this.

What actual hard data/info is there on the original trials of the repellant? I seem to remember an article on research done by Cam Speedy on it can't remember where it was published and it was many years back

[QUOTE=veitnamcam;562733]Yes millions of years of browsing Moa.

Along comes man and eats them all....along comes more man that replace the lost browsers.
    Govt fuck it up and protect them too long...there is some wars. The population has exploded...man can fly....money to be made from these browsers....balance is restored.

Sent from my SM

The lance wood springs to mind it grows straight & turns onto a tree when it gets above moa browsing level
    veitnamcam and Maca49 like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Yes millions of years of browsing Moa.

Along comes man and eats them all....along comes more man that replace the lost browsers.
    Govt fuck it up and protect them too long...there is some wars. The population has exploded...man can fly....money to be made from these browsers....balance is restored.

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
    So the balance has been restored?

The balance of 58 000 Moa against deer who were being shot in about the same number every year in the 1950-60s?

How did the balance be restored by possums eating everything above what the deer and goats could reach? Or did Moa climb on each others shoulders to get to the tops of the trees?

Some Moa were pretty big, but I don't think they could reach the top of a 25m Rata like a possum can.

Did the bush really evolve to handle the damage caused by 60 million possums in only 150 years?

Was just pointing out the bush to some degree evolved from browsing long before deer where on the scène.
    veitnamcam and gadgetman like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Boaraxa View Post
    Was just pointing out the bush to some degree evolved from browsing long before deer where on the scène.
    There is simply no comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by systolic View Post
    So the balance has been restored?

The balance of 58 000 Moa against deer who were being shot in about the same number every year in the 1950-60s?

How did the balance be restored by possums eating everything above what the deer and goats could reach? Or did Moa climb on each others shoulders to get to the tops of the trees?

Some Moa were pretty big, but I don't think they could reach the top of a 25m Rata like a possum can.

Did the bush really evolve to handle the damage caused by 60 million possums in only 150 years?
    You are not very good at reading and comprehension?

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
    gadgetman and Woody like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

There is simply no comparison.
    Oh yes there is. The birds in NZ evolved to fill roles mammals did elsewhere, and the plant life evolved to counter them. We have a number of plants that grow to counter the damage mammals/marsupials/birds do. We have virtually flightless birds that climb and eat from trees, much like possums. We have birds that dig holes and burrow. And funnily enough we had big grazer roles filled by the moa, and an eagle that was big enough to prey on them, just like other mammals did elsewhere like lions, wolves, etc.

The deer very nicely fill the void left by the moa. Check out what they both ate and how high they could reach to graze.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    Bloody 1080 threads
    You can see why it goes bad a, two guys I have a lot a respect for @Maca49 and @Tahr both battling it out with reasonably sound arguments either way and no ground given.

Thanks @BRADS I just hate closed companies, I have worked in a few. They had bloody excellent employees but the top management never engaged or told you what was happening. The controversy over 1080 could be simply put to test with some open dialogue. My thoughts are they know it's wrong but there's money and govt forces telling them to shut up? I would hope I'm wrong, but you would think today opossums could be irradiated with Genetics, this, if it happened would kill the Golden Goose?
    Lake Taupo, a place I've been around for 50 yrs is a bloody disgrace but seems to be driven by greed and money?
    Back to painting!!!!! I'm polluting the ground water washing my brushes in the back yard
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    Bloody 1080 threads

Hah. I've retired hurt.
    BRADS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Hah. I've retired hurt.
    Your too young to retire!!!
    deer243 likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

condolence to you offline

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Your too young to retire!!!
    Ive only retired from this thread
    Maca49 and Gibo like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Oh yes there is. The birds in NZ evolved to fill roles mammals did elsewhere, and the plant life evolved to counter them. We have a number of plants that grow to counter the damage mammals/marsupials/birds do. We have virtually flightless birds that climb and eat from trees, much like possums. We have birds that dig holes and burrow. And funnily enough we had big grazer roles filled by the moa, and an eagle that was big enough to prey on them, just like other mammals did elsewhere like lions, wolves, etc.

The deer very nicely fill the void left by the moa. Check out what they both ate and how high they could reach to graze.
    Did the 58 000 moa eat the same amount as the deer? Between 1945 and 1955 around 300 000 deer were shot in New Zealand. That's just shot, not deer alive in the bush still eating. In 1956 alone 91 000 were shot.

I think just the ones shot would have eaten a fucking lot trees more than the moa did. I there was / is no way for the bush to cope.

That's why the deer cullers, Forest Service and now DoC try to control deer and possum. And goat, mustelids and rats etc.

"The deer very nicely fill the void left by the moa." Yeah, tens of thousands of times over.

Did the 58 000 moa eat the same amount as the deer? Between 1945 and 1955 around 300 000 deer were shot in New Zealand. That's just shot, not deer alive in the bush still eating. In 1956 alone 91 000 were shot.

I think just the ones shot would have eaten a fucking lot trees more than the moa did. I there was / is no way for the bush to cope.

That's why the deer cullers, Forest Service and now DoC try to control deer and possum. And goat, mustelids and rats etc.

"The deer very nicely fill the void left by the moa." Yeah, tens of thousands of times over.
    You should have noticed by now it is not 1945 anymore
    gadgetman, Gibo, blake and 1 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.