Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree172Likes

Thread: Designing the best back country tent in the market - Need you help

Needs to take a decent pitch on lumpy/uneven ground, its surprising how many tent designs fall down on this basic requirement . . . .
    stingray likes this.

Make it so you can pitch it as a fly only as well as with inner plus fly.
    That way you have a nice light fly camping option when conditions permit.
    veitnamcam, Puffin and 308 like this.

Following

Kuiu summit star for anything north island including winter. spring and summer I'll use this south island too. 700grams including floor, pegs and sea to summit compression sack.
    Name:  received_935822147582100.jpeg
Views: 709
Size:  176.9 KB

Kuiu Mountain Star for anything more demanding down south, mid winter rut trips, weat coast etc
    Name:  20230203_200638.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  1.08 MB

seems to me reading all the replys two tents are needed 1 ) designed to be carried in a pack liteweight but alpine designed 2) a bigger tent designed for roadside or flyin camps - big vestibules to cook under etc ????
    Micky Duck likes this.

Removable fly that can be used as just a fly, like some macpac models. Means it's two tents in one , a lightweight fly and a standard fly/inner tent. One oversized large vestibule to store packs etc . No two man tent I know has one adequate that I know of. I have used a couple of Macpac models for some extreme trips for 35 years and the shape of them is excellent with no collapses due to wind weather, had MSR and other brands fold up right next to mine plenty. Even purposely set a Minaret side on to a raging Nor west and it survived. Its their vestibules are just too small for those crap weather days.
    Last edited by Puddleduk; 03-02-2023 at 10:19 PM.
    Puffin likes this.

Being able to pitch the fly first so you can put it up in heavy rain without making a swimming pool of the inner is important.
    Maybe designing it so you can pitch the fly and inner at the same time.
    Puffin, hotsoup and MurrayQld like this.

Some thoughts that come to the top of my head.

My greatest problems with my current tent options.

In Fiordland or Westland, finding a spot to pitch a 2 person tent. The country often doesn't have a large enough flat-ish spot to setup a 2 person tent, so often it ends up on a steep slope, and less room than if setup on flat, therefore, a tight 2 person tent may never be a 2 person tent.

But I don't carry a MTN stick or similar.

Double vestibule is really handy so 2 ppl can cook at the same time when both are buggered and ready for bed.

I agree, being able to pitch the fly first to keep everything else dry would be super handy.
    Plus a tub floor.

I think most hunters carry trekking poles now,
    So if they can be utilised as poles to save weight, I think that is a great option.

Off topic,
    But I would love a 1 person tent that isn't a single wall, and could be super lightweight, utilising a trecking pole,

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Mohawk that's exactly what I do with my old ferrydown Olympus. Sons new version comes complete with tapes between the poles like that from factory.
    You can then just unclip the inner if you just want to take the fly only. Great way to go if it's not wet or full of mossies'.
    Z
    Shearer and Mohawk .308 like this.

Having spent a number of years on a sewing machine making custom outdoor gear, I'm with XR500 - pick 2 of any 3, you cant have everything and still achieve what you think you want. If you want lightweight, then stick with one vestibule. If you want lightweight then get rid of all the 2 way zips and only use one way zips, non locking, remove the pullers and replace with quality nylon loops. It all adds up. The previous posts have lots of good ideas, stuff we all want in a tent, but cant get it all in the one tent we want to buy. Bucket floor, so easy to make without any stitching in the corners to fail or let water through. Make it 150-200 high for the bucket, so it really does work in shit weather. The pockets and light loops are great, so easy to a keep lightweight. And 4 light loops instead of just one. Reflectorised tape on the outside like the end of the pole sleeves and the tent ropes/cords. Make the vestibule about 300mm longer than all the other manufacturers, maybe even longer. Theres a lot of wet gear gets thrown in to the vestibule and if its too bloody small, you get wet climbing over it to go out for a piss, or boil your coffee in the morning.
    rugerman, Puffin, stingray and 4 others like this.

Long enough that your bag doesn’t touch the ends and condensation pools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    My old Fairydown 'Altimate' tent covers all the wishes except lightness. Double skinned so tent and fly pitch together, bath tub base and good sized vestibule. Never wet never cold. It would be a good pattern
    I have some nylon spraying / chemical overalls that are made of a super light coated nylon. Squeezed up they are the size of a pine cone so finding that material and making a tent from it would be the go imo as they are more waterproof than any tent material I have seen and very strong and cheap to buy

I'm with @akaroa1 when he says "Frankly I'm happy to carry the extra weight for the sheer comfort and reassurance this bomb proof tent gives". Also if using a walking pole, don't have it in the middle of the floor as it gets in the way all the time.
    If you have a garden and a library, you have all you need. Oh, and a dog, and a rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    A few options here. I got a Haven. It's huge under the fly and pitches with walking poles (or just rope if you are in the bush). Can be used with or without the tent.
    https://www.sixmoondesigns.com/colle...light-shelters
    I've been leaning towards this style of tent now for a while, and thinking I would just carry a folding saw instead of poles... Unless above the treeline of course.
    Shearer likes this.
    "O Great Guru what projectile should I use in my .308?" To which the guru replied, "It doesn't matter."
    -Grandpamac

I've a Fairydown Assault(early model) for probably 30 years, the fact that it is still in good nick probably means I haven't used it enough. Too heavy for solo trips but OK split between two, it is multi pitch, so can use as just a fly or pitch fly & then clip in inner/tub. Two vestibules of a reasonable size make for decent comfort for two. It is a 4 season job so possibly heavier fabric that necessary but reading comments here it would serve as a good basis around which to design a lighter model. This earlier thread might have some stuff in there worth considering, as might this article from a tent designer.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Still rate my Mac pac elipse. Only down side is that it's 1 person plus pac and vestibule. But small for 2 people really