Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree172Likes

Thread: Designing the best back country tent in the market - Need you help

Gkp
    Only just spotted this thread and haven't read through it.
    All I will add at this stage is the Terra nova Laser was the worst tent I've owned. Failed miserably in fiordland and i couldn't wait to get rid of it when I got out.

I'm glad this thread has been revived as I am curious to know how the design is progressing. Also has a prototype been fabricated ?
    If you have a garden and a library, you have all you need. Oh, and a dog, and a rifle

Will tag in @onamission for an update then (hopefully)?
    @Gkp, this is interesting, could you tell us please how the Laser failed and in what circumstances, and if in your view it would be possible to improve the design to address the deficiencies you identified?

Gkp
    The Terra Nova Laser is a single skin tent. Nice to carry but that is where the joy ends.
    It is far from waterproof. Mine was new and didn't last 6 days of fiordland rain.
    It felt like it was raining in the tent
    That trip taught me it's best to carry a bit more weight, use quality gear and enjoy being dry and warm at night.

As a side not the Terra Nova bivy bag with the hoop over the head was even worse. They use crap materials to appeal to the light weight market

@Gkp I have not found any detail of the Terra Nova Laser being single skin; dozens of reviews of the Terra Nova Laser Competition and Terra Nova Laser Compact, both double skinned.
    There is information on ditching the inner for some weight saving and replacing it with a footprint, leaving the fly to provide a minimalist shelter. Would you be able clarify as to whether this was your configuration or perhaps please provide link/s to sites with some information on the single skinned variant of the Terra Nova that you used?

I had a Terra nova solar competition for years. Put it through a tonne of shit (including fiordland) and was always warm and dry. I've still got it actually just ran it over (whilst in its bag) with my ute and wrecked the poles. Only use a tarp these days anyhow
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Bunny Slayer
    I know it would be heavier and probably hard to make reliable but if you could manage a 1 man tent with a puncture proof floor pan that inflates like a thermarest or something like that would be cool. It would mean the whole floor is insulated and remove the need for a sleeping mat. The insulated floor would mean no moisture/condensation comes through the base too.

Banned
    @Puffin I have a couple of sets of synthetic full body spray / chemical overalls. The material that they are made of is super light weight and coated to make them totally water / chemical proof. Would be interesting to see how it compares with the best tent material. It is likely a coated nylon but imo superior to any tent fabric I have examined. And they are cheap, so the pricing is likely at an industrial user level rather than recreational products

Gkp
    Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    @Gkp I have not found any detail of the Terra Nova Laser being single skin; dozens of reviews of the Terra Nova Laser Competition and Terra Nova Laser Compact, both double skinned.
    There is information on ditching the inner for some weight saving and replacing it with a footprint, leaving the fly to provide a minimalist shelter. Would you be able clarify as to whether this was your configuration or perhaps please provide link/s to sites with some information on the single skinned variant of the Terra Nova that you used?
    You are right. It does have an inner that reduces space quite dramatically and I found it to be quite baggy. Still doesn't take away from the fact that my one I bought new was not up to fiordland rain.

Reinforced bits where the lines attach to the tent. Fold away vestibule for when it gets real windy. Pegs that are long and hard to bend and a second option short peg for rocky ground. Double zip entrance that goes in a full circle so you can choose where the hole is and it doesn't get buried in snow close to the ground. High sided floor so it's easy to dust out. Strong enough poles to hang wet socks in the vestibule.

Im in the market for a new tent.
    Finally my old Fairydown 2 person, NZ made tent is leaking from floor corners and seam tapes are delaminating. Ive had this tent for twenty years plus and used it extensively from the West coast to Fiordland and Stewart Island with all the weathers one can get in the hills. At a guess it would have done 250 or so day/nights of use and never let me down.
    My thoughts are that I will look for something similar to it with rain and windproof as possible. A little extra weight doesn't worry me but climbing into a wet damp tent and sleeping bag do. Ive got a bad back and crawling in and out of a tent is a pain as is getting dressed inside. So a bigger entrance would be good for me.
    I generally use a fly over tent [even though the tent is double skinned] with a lean to over entrance so its easier to get changed and leave a bit of gear drying under it. I don't mind spending good dollars on a tent as long as it is going to work the way it should.
    Good luck with your venture and I watch with interest and would look hard at a NZ made tent if it met with my ideas of dryness and strength.
    XR500 likes this.