Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Dingle Burn

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Exactly
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Looks like you're not getting much feedback here. Could mean its real good and a local is lying low or just nobody has bothered to go there twice.

I've only been in a couple of times and that was back about '89 too. So not very useful for animal numbers. It is a renowned fishing place.

The hut was quite a bit further downstream than marked on the old maps I remember so check closely on google maps before you go. It's an easy walk up a road from Ahuriri base hut to the saddle and also easy rolling ridge north and south but gets pretty serial further North. At this time of year snow will be starting to melt off so be careful it will be slushy and prone to avalanches later in the day. Even More of a problem is rock fall as the ice thaws (as soon as sun hits a slope or after 10 am). So don't hang around in any gully or below a slope over 45 degrees. Be conservative where you go unless you've got ice axe and crampons and some training. A snow slope an be deceptively lethal in just one step.

You could also try up Canyon creek or little canyon creek. Look out for chamois. There used to be a few rabbits on the flats too.

And I always thought Regina was a spelling mistake

I was there in April last year during the roar period, Upper Dingle absolutely no sign, not a mark or shit any where , didn't see any sign until down towards Cotters.The Upper Dingle is great place but no deer.

Banned
    My take on it is the same as the last post - I think its a waste of time. WAs up in the Ahuriri last week and didn't see a sign of a chamois up there either. About the only thing left up that way was some hares.
    Last edited by Carlsen Highway; 27-10-2012 at 01:21 PM.

Upper Dingle Burn is a form of testicular rash
    veitnamcam likes this.

BTW, the Ahuriri does have a few animals, so I imagine the upper Dingle does too - they're just a bit few and far between. Nice place to visit though. Check ot my youtube vids ( Scott Tulloch) - there's a bit of Ahuriri action there with some success.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Ha ha ha good one Jack.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Was in there last march, no sign , marks , shit , nothing , top Dingle beaut place , lacks game, didn't find sign till down by Cotters

Try DOC in wanaka for some advice, Timaru creek is generally better, but it aint no westland.

Canyon creek is far easier on the legs, still a tad thin though.

Chris