Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: East Kaweka 1080 info

GWH
    FUCK
    Pengy likes this.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quick, someone call Julian Assange. The DEATH STAR is coming to wipe out Alderaan.

https://youtu.be/djZFHTa6TfA
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

I was in there a few weeks ago putting a new roof on the Harkness Hut for doc and there was heli deer culling, heard them get 3 or so the first night I was there.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Search and Destroy has been going on for years up there. It's nothing new.
    BRADS likes this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

If they are heli culling why the hell would they use deer repelant? it raises the cost of the operation by a third we were told by nick smith when trying to convince him our Iconic fallow herd should not be exterminated.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Info here re search and destroy map2

TLB
    Tahr this is an unprotected pellet dropped in an environment consisting of a lot of high altitude mountain beech and sub alpine country in late autumn/winter. How long would a coating applied to the outside of these pellets stand up to the adverse weather conditions encountered at this time of year? There is already a buffer area in place that gets done by both ground control and another section that gets aerialled. This drop is in behind the buffer and personally I would love to see the reasons to justify it. Being strictly for the eradication of bovine Tb and all.

TLB
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    If they are heli culling why the hell would they use deer repelant? it raises the cost of the operation by a third we were told by nick smith when trying to convince him our Iconic fallow herd should not be exterminated.
    Correct, an additional $8 or so per hectare it costs to keep the pressure from hunters off.

Great, there goes the easy meat for the winter
    Nothing is tough about having a 70 lb bow and looking like an uncoordinated praying mantis while trying to draw it back.

I was in at Mckintosh hut few months back some trapper had been all over that area with traps and I didn't see too many possums around to be honest only 3 on whole weekend trip and one pellet per 60m2 seems crazy . It's disgusting really
    GWH likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TLB View Post
    Tahr this is an unprotected pellet dropped in an environment consisting of a lot of high altitude mountain beech and sub alpine country in late autumn/winter. How long would a coating applied to the outside of these pellets stand up to the adverse weather conditions encountered at this time of year? There is already a buffer area in place that gets done by both ground control and another section that gets aerialled. This drop is in behind the buffer and personally I would love to see the reasons to justify it. Being strictly for the eradication of bovine Tb and all.
    Hey TLB,

Has this area been done before, was it part of say a 10 year 3 treatment process?? Or is this new. With the Haurangi they have just started a 10 year 3 treatment plan (first was last year). Maybe this is the last drop of that 10yrs??

In regards to how long the repellent stays on depends on how it is applied, Haurangi was sprayed on to baits but i have heard they have developed a better system.

Spay on washes off with rain, 10 days after our drop baits were green

Hope that helps

Hamish
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by HNTMAD View Post
    Hey TLB,

Has this area been done before, was it part of say a 10 year 3 treatment process?? Or is this new. With the Haurangi they have just started a 10 year 3 treatment plan (first was last year). Maybe this is the last drop of that 10yrs??

In regards to how long the repellent stays on depends on how it is applied, Haurangi was sprayed on to baits but i have heard they have developed a better system.

Hope that helps

Hamish
    Hamish, any idea how long it takes for the baits to breakdown (with rain etc) to the point where they are ineffective?

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    Hamish, any idea how long it takes for the baits to breakdown (with rain etc) to the point where they are ineffective?
    No sorry, i can say i went into Haurangi 10 days after a drop, It had showered the day after baits were down and cant remember weather after that before i went in, However there were still a number of baits around, in saying that how long is a piece of string, Especially when baits can be more exposed to rain etc.

Based on what period they give the area based on the checks they do i would say prob 4-6 mths for secondary kill off dead critters if you take dogs in and prob 1 month for baits?? I went in 2 mths after and a guy was there with his very overweight lab, I asked if he knew about 1080 drop and he said yup, I then asked about the dog and he proceeded to tell me that his Lab did not scavenge , made me laugh, specially based on the size of it.

Hope that helps

Hamish
    GWH and Gibo like this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by HNTMAD View Post
    Hey TLB,

Hope that helps

Hamish
    Quite sure the repellant is pigs blood, its purchased dried (in bags), then its added to water and sprayed on before the baits are bagged - wouldn't take much to wash off

I have seen baits on the ground on the comet in HB 3 months after application, have also seen over 20 baits in a 30 metre radius, seen them on shingle roads and walking tracks, all in the comet area.

I have pictures of the same baits decomposing over time, some baits were rubble after a month, some survived the 3 months, totally depends on rainfall.

One thing is for sure, it smoked the local deer population.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Barely even a farm then.
    Deer repelant should do its job(as long as there is no hidden agendas and it is actually used) and being a small area will repopulate from the surrounding country quickly if there is a significant deer casualty.
    The repellent washes off after the first decent bit of rain & returns the baits to being extremely deadly to our favourite wee venison. Also, the nice Animal Control Products people( Govt SOE in Wanganui)have put a water repellent of some kind in the baits ( along with a huge dose of sugar for the bees!!) & the baits are still killing deer up to 6 months after a drop!!!( I have photo's to prove it)

Support the new Sika Foundation & get our Sika listed as an animal of special interest or whatever their term is. Then the shitheads won't be able to poison them. AND it'll curtail the Dept of Corruption's aerial "indiscriminate killing" operations too.