Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: East Kaweka 1080 info

Quote Originally Posted by P38 View Post
    It can't be targeting TB infested possums either ............. mostly because the stats suggest there is none.

Cheers
    Pete
    Re TB infected possums: I talked to a chap a year or so ago who came into my shop who had done a trapping run for one of the "forces-of-evil" from the army land all the way along the western side of the kaimanawa's to the Napier/Taupo Rd. He autopsied over 4000 possums for TB and found NONE!!!!!!! & if you recall Richard Prosser's recent comments in Parliament about the 0.004% of possums found with TB along the Sth Is west coast!!!!

We're all being conned by these death dealing arseholes & they hide behind the Dept of Constipation's ( full of shit ) excellent propaganda dept.
    P38, veitnamcam, GWH and 1 others like this.

Caretaker

East Kaweka 1080 info

Quote Originally Posted by top gun View Post
    The repellent washes off after the first decent bit of rain & returns the baits to being extremely deadly to our favourite wee venison. Also, the nice Animal Control Products people( Govt SOE in Wanganui)have put a water repellent of some kind in the baits ( along with a huge dose of sugar for the bees!!) & the baits are still killing deer up to 6 months after a drop!!!( I have photo's to prove it)

Support the new Sika Foundation & get our Sika listed as an animal of special interest or whatever their term is. Then the shitheads won't be able to poison them. AND it'll curtail the Dept of Corruption's aerial "indiscriminate killing" operations too.

I have plenty of hives with constant spring/summer access to manuka flower and I'm interested in any sugar added to the baits.

Where do we find this info please

I have found a clue on their website about the longer lasting 1080 baits (and they also state that they are Government owned)

Last edited by 7mmsaum; 16-12-2015 at 04:03 PM.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

I found out from a member of the anti-1080 lobby in the coromandel area who was talking to a commercial bee keeper after the Moehau ( I think that's how you spell it ) drop. Apparently a green tinge was found around the edge of his hive frames not long after the drop.

A chap called Graeme Sturgeon may be able to narrow the story down. I can't personally vouch for the accuracy either, these rumours zap around the network & no meaningful conclusions come forth, but someone in the Coromandel will know.

So much for safety of our native honeys eh???? Imagine the repercussions if this was found out about overseas where manuka honey is selling for huge $'s!!!!!!

Caretaker
    Thank you for that info.

Quote Originally Posted by top gun View Post
    I found out from a member of the anti-1080 lobby in the coromandel area who was talking to a commercial bee keeper after the Moehau ( I think that's how you spell it ) drop. Apparently a green tinge was found around the edge of his hive frames not long after the drop.

A chap called Graeme Sturgeon may be able to narrow the story down. I can't personally vouch for the accuracy either, these rumours zap around the network & no meaningful conclusions come forth, but someone in the Coromandel will know.

So much for safety of our native honeys eh???? Imagine the repercussions if this was found out about overseas where manuka honey is selling for huge $'s!!!!!!
    I'd wouldn't take that info to seriously with him as the source.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    kiwijames likes this.

Ah, I didn't intend to indicate that Graeme was the source. He lives in the Coromandel and has his finger on the pulse & he may know who the bee chappie is????

Sorry if people got that idea.

TLB
    Quote Originally Posted by HNTMAD View Post
    Hey TLB,

Has this area been done before, was it part of say a 10 year 3 treatment process?? Or is this new. With the Haurangi they have just started a 10 year 3 treatment plan (first was last year). Maybe this is the last drop of that 10yrs??

In regards to how long the repellent stays on depends on how it is applied, Haurangi was sprayed on to baits but i have heard they have developed a better system.

Spay on washes off with rain, 10 days after our drop baits were green

Hope that helps

Hamish
    Hey Hamish,
    No this area has never been done before. The front country of the Kawekas gets done and has so for upwards of 12 years. This along with many other areas in the future is the next step in. This is the plan for the vast majority of the Tb free areas so over the next 10 years or so a lot more of the northern Ruahines, Kawekas and Kaimanawas to name a few are going to see new areas treated with aerial 1080.

And to all those that didn't know, virtually the WHOLE of the Ahimanawa Ranges are also getting treated next year also, most of this never seen control before.

I think the key is to get clubs together to fight for repellent cos it will go on regardless so best with repellent than not

Sent from my E2353 using Tapatalk
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Quote Originally Posted by TLB View Post
    Hey Hamish,
    No this area has never been done before. The front country of the Kawekas gets done and has so for upwards of 12 years. This along with many other areas in the future is the next step in. This is the plan for the vast majority of the Tb free areas so over the next 10 years or so a lot more of the northern Ruahines, Kawekas and Kaimanawas to name a few are going to see new areas treated with aerial 1080.

And to all those that didn't know, virtually the WHOLE of the Ahimanawa Ranges are also getting treated next year also, most of this never seen control before.
    I'm thinking there might be a 'west' Kaweka area as well, that ahimanawas drop doesn't sound good either.
    Went to buy some camouflage trousers the other day but I couldn't find any.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HNTMAD View Post
    I think the key is to get clubs together to fight for repellent cos it will go on regardless so best with repellent than not

It's been tried before and can be done, BUT half the cost of the drop is funded by the Regional Council. BOTH AHB and the Council need to agree to the additional cost. At least it was last time Hastings NZDA tried. AHB were really good to deal with in this regard.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    It's been tried before and can be done, BUT half the cost of the drop is funded by the Regional Council. BOTH AHB and the Council need to agree to the additional cost. At least it was last time Hastings NZDA tried. AHB were really good to deal with in this regard.
    Yeah when we got together and threatened to fight they knew it would cost more to fight than to put repellent on, so repellent went on.

I see this drop has repellent on so that's got to be half way better than no repellent

Hamish

Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    I'd wouldn't take that info to seriously with him as the source.

Here is the relevant info .

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/m...ps5fjl5z6h.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by TLB View Post
    Hey Hamish,

had an e-mail back re Ahimanawas, still being finalised and will be confirmed with boundaries etc in the new year, i'll keep you posted.
    Went to buy some camouflage trousers the other day but I couldn't find any.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Cool story🏻

Caretaker
    There must be a simple fix to stop deer browsing 1080 baits

Why not make the baits small, say 3 to 4 millimetres in diameter, deer won't browse them at that size but all manner of rodents/opossums will eat them no problem at all

Sure some birds will eat them but surely no more birds will die than the amount that already die from ingesting bait chunks.

At the moment a large bait stays on the ground for many birds to peck chunks off to swallow, smaller baits mean that one bird eliminates one bait.

Stick to baits broadcast at the current amount per hectare.

Problem solved
    blake likes this.