Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Ebikes for hunting

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    I have an acquaintance who boasts his E MTB cost him 26 grand. I said for 26K the fecker better peddle itself!!
    I’m thinking that for 5 grand I better not have to peddle the bastard.
    Otherwise I’ll spend the money on more guns and just walk.
    Micky Duck likes this.

For 4k you can also get an XRM125. No clutch, super low center of gravity, can stand up as the seat is so low with no problem, with the factory exhaust they're very quite. Way more reliable and better range with exceptional fuel mileage.

These guys in the Philippines are crazy on them and go anywhere! They do all have loud exhausts on their ones, but from factory they're really quite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8kh...el=MoTorJackMe

NZ versions are already kitted out with knobbly tyres, Taupo Honda has the farm/off road gearing down pat for low end torque, leaver protectors are pre-installed, front and rear carry racks are an option too. They're an upgraded version of Herb Uhl's origional Honda Hunter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ0I...SmallBikeStuff

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/m...ing/4390501348
    308 likes this.

Dublin...are they road legal perchance??
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    Don't think so - no indicators, for a start.

be interesting if they were compliant.... plenty of AG100s used to be made road legal and went everywhere.
    at the below 5k price point it beats an old dunger car for tootling 25kms each way to work.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

I hate E bikes, E scooters, E everything....

But oneday i hope i can afford one too, just seems practical in many places
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    No unfortunately, they have everything required....except front ABS, or potentially a combined braking system. They run on an oily rag too.

They're made in the Philippines and I have seen after market combined braking systems for them being fitted over there on youtube, so it could certainly be done. Don't see why you couldn't chuck on a ABS from another similar Honda small bike like the CT125, Honda Wave or Grom? But I've not really looked into too much as have a road bike and mine is strictly for off road. I did fish out a video of a guy in Aus fitting an aftermarket ABS to his XRM and it worked fine. Provided that could get passed VTNZ approval, there's no reason why they couldn't be approved for road use here.
    Micky Duck likes this.

I do also wonder if you could just rebuild a cheap postie bike or CT110/CT90 and Frankinstine most of the parts/components from the XRM onto it. Then you'd have a road legal, upgraded postie that'd be a ripper off road and around the farm etc...

CT125's are over priced by a few grand imo, else they'd be good too.
    Micky Duck likes this.

It's possible to covert a hardtail into a rather serious e-bike for around $2.5k. That gets a 500W 48V centre-mounted motor, battery and controls. The Bafang ones can be adjusted so the assist takes you up to 50km/h or more on the flat. Endurance is dependent on how big a battery you choose and how sensibly you choose to ride it! They do go most places but don't like being fully submerged.

Quote Originally Posted by Maddoghunter View Post
    Few questions here:
    I’m looking at getting one for pig hunting in forestry.
    The spot where the pigs mostly are is 10k from the Ute. It’s about k up gentle incline, then 5k down into a valley. Trick is to ride the e bike down to bottom of valley, hunt all day on foot, then have it easy cruising back up the long hill. Doesn’t matter if battery is flat once I get to the top, cos it’s all downhill from there to the Ute.

Question 1.
    Would the battery handle that? Or would I be left pushing my $$$$ bike up the hill?

Question 2.
    Do they self charge by way of pedalling or rolling down hills?

I look at the size of the batteries and compare them with my power tools, and can’t help but think an e bike would be flat within minutes.
    A Suron would do what you want . Easy .

@Maddoghunter - regarding an e-bike with regenerative braking - there are some out there though, but they have direct drive motors, which isn't common. I haven't actually seen one in NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    Most E MTBs top out at 100kg fat arse. So that's a lot of us out of the equation already.

For solar recharging: take @25/08 IMP s 700 watthour battery. With a flash harry Kings 200 watt folding soft solar panel plus a regulator and then some form of charger you will be looking in reality about 8 hours of a sunny day to fully recharge it.
    I have a Haibike SDURO with Bosch electrics and a centre crank motor. Its a PedElec. Rated for 160kg when I bought mine, now posted online at 120kg but dealer and I reckon a 200kg load all up is gently doable

500Khw battery is a bit light now but had it 2and a half years. Hunting is my wannabe mode, mostly farm tracks. Really the bike is my fitness health machine. Recently did the Waihi-Te Aroha and return rail trail in just over 5 hrs, 90km and I'm not a little guy. Got 87.6km out of first battery. Lots of pedaling on lowest Eco setting on fairly flat inclines. Bike cost 7.2k extra battery $1200. You would need a large solar array and or half a week of sun to recharge one. 3.5 hours on mains from dead flat. The next day I did the Whakarewarewa Loop, 38km of entry-level technical MTB rack. I snagged a tree root with pedal just before half way and landed on heavy gravel, heavily! Thought I'd busted half the ribs and sternum on left side..road the last half with lots of Battery. Had 2% charge left when I hit the carpark.

I have soft pannier bags on the rear, a Thule rack with clip-on Thule waterproof touring bags on the front. Plus rifle racks a la quad bike style on handle bars. I can also have top bags front and back.

The best things about the bike are it is really quiet, limits where I go to get into trouble, and gives me a modest level of fitness.

Deer are smart. they get to know what the sound of a quad or trail bike really means.

I now have 1800km on the Haibike , mostly road work.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...