Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: The elusive pureora stag hare stoat animal

Quote Originally Posted by tetawa View Post
    If you can't identify it DON'T shoot it.
    Hence why i waited and moved in on it. I could have shot it if i wanted i was 10m away and had a good enough look at it to know it wasnt anything but a hare sized animal.

Quote Originally Posted by matto1234 View Post
    Hence why i waited and moved in on it. I could have shot it if i wanted i was 10m away and had a good enough look at it to know it wasnt anything but a hare sized animal.
    90% is not good enough, go back and read everything you've written, you didn't identify it otherwise you would not have started this thread. At the moment there are a lot of pig hunters with dogs in Pureora North as it's the only DOC land around with out 1080, some have brown dogs.
    Steve123 likes this.

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by tetawa View Post
    90% is not good enough, go back and read everything you've written, you didn't identify it otherwise you would not have started this thread. At the moment there are a lot of pig hunters with dogs in Pureora North as it's the only DOC land around with out 1080, some have brown dogs.
    Yes but he did not pull the trigger as he wasn't sure so I'd say he knows about identifying his target.

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    Yes but he did not pull the trigger as he wasn't sure so I'd say he knows about identifying his target.
    Read what he said " If it was later in the day would have given it 150g"

The purpose of the thread was to find out if it is common occurance to see a hare that far in the bush which it obviously is, i didn't even consider shooting at the first sighting thats why i slowed down and got closer. I got within 10m of it and identifed it as a big hare or possibly a stoat. If i wanted to shoot it i could have and would have had no issue in either case. Dogs dont disappear down holes and im not an idiot.

Not wanting to put the fire out with gasoline, but, more likely a ferret than a stoat as the difference in size between the two is quite noticeable. Unless it was a very tiny hare
    Ya can't park there mate.

Was big, i have never seen either of them so that is good to know. Cheers

That has already been pointed out by Kidmac42. As i said i have never seen either before so thats not a hard mistake to make.

Quote Originally Posted by matto1234 View Post
    The purpose of the thread was to find out if it is common occurance to see a hare that far in the bush which it obviously is, i didn't even consider shooting at the first sighting thats why i slowed down and got closer. I got within 10m of it and identifed it as a big hare or possibly a stoat. If i wanted to shoot it i could have and would have had no issue in either case. Dogs dont disappear down holes and im not an idiot.
    neither do hares, they live their lives above the ground, so maybe a rabbit.
    Gibo likes this.

If they can be found 500m or so into native bush then quite possibly