Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Ethical use of deer

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    What the heck, is there not a newbie in your area that needs putting onto their first deer?

Many hungry mouths around, I know of another good friend of mine who meat hunts for poorer families. How would that be to go from eating baked beans three meals a day to having some prime venison. Smack it over I say, you'll find a freezer!
    Excellent Post,I couldn't agree more
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Am a newbie and I read all posts in here.. of all that is written up here in this post I wish just to sight a deer leave alone shootin it.. have been following advice and whatever i learn from fellow experienced hunters through their posts and just hoping that I will strike one soon.. and when I do get my first deer, even the bones are not going to anyone...

Looking for that one mate to take me up to shoot just a deer even if that is going blind folded so that I dont revile their SPOT X..
    Dougie and jord like this.

Keep safe in the hills! Gunzrrr's Avatar
    My grandfather brought me up that if I shoot it - I eat it !!!
    Simple rule really ... but sometimes I end up with a little too much in the freezer so I give it to clients, family and friends as gifts and they always appreciate some wild venison, pork, duck, etc. I also get it made into salmi's, patties and sausages.
    I think it portrays hunters as good guys so spread the word and share the love!
    Keep safe in the hills.
    Dundee and Mac like this.

Quote Originally Posted by initiaz View Post
    Am a newbie and I read all posts in here.. of all that is written up here in this post I wish just to sight a deer leave alone shootin it.. have been following advice and whatever i learn from fellow experienced hunters through their posts and just hoping that I will strike one soon.. and when I do get my first deer, even the bones are not going to anyone...

Looking for that one mate to take me up to shoot just a deer even if that is going blind folded so that I dont revile their SPOT X..
    If you were a bit closer if have my problem solved! Someone will take you out mate. Just get to know a few people and contribute they're a nice bunch here
    initiaz likes this.

I think its fine to give dogs deer meat. Mans best friend and all. Wouldn't go out to shoot deer for that sole purpose though. Work too hard for it myself!

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

Mac
    I think as long as you don't waste it... most important thing is not to kill anything without a good reason I reckon. Good to see a most people don't like seeing animals go to waste and either giving the meat away or keeping the good cuts and lesser cuts for the dogs etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    Yes, every now and then if we are short of dog tucker at the farm we will shoot a deer to feed them. Take the best cuts for ourselves and dogs get the rest. Never less than 15 working dogs take a lot of feeding, they are an expensive asset to the farm and deserve it on occasion. We can also afford to when we have managed the wild deer numbers to be at a level where this is sustainable.
    Do you need any help with such a thankless task?

With the cost of hunting over here, the dogs are damn lucky to get a bone to chew on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    My dog eats Royal Canin biscuits. I eat the Venison.

Know the freezer space issue though, ours is level with the top. The stuff at the bottom might as well not exist.
    When it gets to that stage you get someone to paint your house
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I look at it this way. The dog is part of the team so she gets some of the spoils. When she`s fed Venison at least I know whats in it not like the Dog roll`s from the super market. Luckerly I shoot enough that the dog eating deer isn`t an issue and its alot more interesting than buying dogroll.
    We are also fortunate to raise our own cattle for the freezer so venison is an added extra.
    kiwi39 likes this.