Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree159Likes

Thread: Ever been shot at? Blaze vs Camo

Ever been shot at? Blaze vs Camo

Hi guys, I know its been talked about here before but it sounds like a fair few people have been shot at lately. I figure perhaps worth bringing it up again. Have you ever been shot at? If so, were you wearing blaze, camo or other? Were you a Blaze enthusiast and now wont touch it, or vise versa? Interested to see what the general consensus is these days...

1 Shot over, 2 gun pointed at me....first one, guy knew I was there, had a rush of blood to his non functioning brain, and shot iver me....non blaze wearing....second one guy was stalking through the bush, apparently he is hard of hearing and his eyes don't work so pointed his gun at me after I whistled and my dog barked at him.....

Hamish

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Not been shot at, but had some very close calls.
    The worst was a bloke that thought my mate and I were a stag. My mate was wearing a full blaze camo swani style jacket and the other bloke thought he was the shoulder of a stag - was on full cock, safety off when he saw the face and recognized my mate through the scope! (Both locals). The interesting thing (in hind sight) is when we walked up to this guy he turned into two people. One guy was wearing blue overalls and the other was full camo hunting gear and disappeared into the Bush.
    So the lesson for me is that bright blue stands out in the Bush and blaze orange can look faded in the dark. These days when hunting public land, and particularly in the Bush I cover my bases with both a blaze and a blue. Blue top and a blaze hat or vise versa.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

What shootings have occurred 'lately'? Historically yes but recent?
    rugerman, Cordite and outlander like this.

Opening morning at my dads house, No one shoots there due to my step mum not liking the animals being shaken up....
    Well I turn up with a mate to cut some wood and the old man and his mate, with his son or friend etc are there on the deck. Beers out....
    I tell em where I am cutting and off I head. Should have told em to piss off.

about five minutes later a spread of shot splashed the pond in front of me and the stand of bamboo behind me.

Fuck was I pissed off.
    Marched off and told em what I thought of them all and left.

Bloody good example for his son I thought.
    Use enough gun

yep shot at twice and hit both times, no blaze or camo in the 70's
    Micky Duck and outlander like this.

Had a clown identify me through the scope while I was wearing blaze and had told him an hour earlier where I was going to be. Also watched something moving behind some scrub for 5 minutes before realizing it was my mate, far from where he said he was going to he hunting and not wearing the usual blaze cap he wears, would've taken 2 seconds to identify if he was so that's why I wear blaze. If someone's dumb enough to shoot me wearing blaze they are certainly dumb enough to shoot me wearing anything else
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunteast View Post
    What shootings have occurred 'lately'? Historically yes but recent?
    No recent "shootings" as such that I'm aware of. A couple of FB posts, and comments on those posts from people saying they'd also been shot "AT" this year.

I always wear blaze when in public hunting grounds, but was disappointed the other day to take a UV torch to my Hunter's Element blaze neck gaiter and see that it was basically a neon light to deer. I'm not talking the orange doing it, but more like a night hazard sign. You could spot it in low light or shadow from a mile away if you even slightly enhance UV, which deer vision does.

Won't be buying a blaze neck gaiter again (some make them UV reflective for sun protection), or anything camo in fact, without running my UV torch over it first. Good old fashioned natural camo fibres have my interest again since buying this torch. Yep also take care of washing powder without brighteners.
    Last edited by Remote; 04-05-2022 at 06:38 PM.
    AusGrunt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Remote View Post
    I always wear blaze when in public hunting grounds, but was disappointed the other day to take a UV torch to my Hunter's Element blaze neck gaiter and see that it was basically an orange neon light for deer. I'm not talking the orange doing it, but more like a night hazard sign. You could spot it in low light from a mile away if you even slightly enhance UV.

Won't be buying a blaze neck gaiter again (some make them UV reflective for sun protection), or anything camo in fact, without taking running my UV torch over it. Good old fashioned natural camo fibres have my interest again since buying this torch.
    I have to wear a knee brace because I have a bad knee, and only recently I realized that parts of it are highly reflective (not UV, just light reflective). Anecdotally noticed that deer look in my direction more often when I was wearing it. If I keep still they USUALLY move on slowly but with movement + reflective parts I reckon they spook much easier. Might be the same with UV. Don't move and its good, but its nice having an extra advantage of NOT looking bright to your target animal.

But yeah i love hunting restricted areas or balloted areas because there is much lower chance of having a gun pointed at me (chances come from poachers). If possible weekdays are ideal, even less likely. So this way I feel safer wearing camo. My co workers told me today that they have had guns pointed at them by hunters at a hut while they were approaching the hut from a public track. Co workers were wearing normal colored casual clothes, like blue/white.

If I do end up on unrestricted public land on a weekend, i prefer blue camo pattern.
    Micky Duck, Finnwolf, Ned and 1 others like this.

Camo by myself but wear blaze if I'm with others. Only place I've ever needed it was the kaimanawas.

Had a rifle pointed at me about 10 years ago, was on a caving trip at the time surveying and looking for new unexplored caves of which we found several. Was wearing bright red overalls, white helmet and assorted jangly things hanging off my safety harness. Yet when I rounded a bluff here was this guy pointing a rifle right at me, said he thought I was a deer coming round the corner, he got severely reprimanded by me and my colleagues.
    Remote likes this.

Shot at in the kaimanawas no blaze about 10 years ago hit a sapling just 5m Infront of me threw the bullet enough to not hit me, saw the smoke from the shot only 50/60 meters away pussy started running as soon as i yelled at him didnt give chase

Quote Originally Posted by JessicaChen View Post
    I have to wear a knee brace because I have a bad knee, and only recently I realized that parts of it are highly reflective (not UV, just light reflective). Anecdotally noticed that deer look in my direction more often when I was wearing it. If I keep still they USUALLY move on slowly but with movement + reflective parts I reckon they spook much easier. Might be the same with UV. Don't move and its good, but its nice having an extra advantage of NOT looking bright to your target animal.

But yeah i love hunting restricted areas or balloted areas because there is much lower chance of having a gun pointed at me (chances come from poachers). If possible weekdays are ideal, even less likely. So this way I feel safer wearing camo. My co workers told me today that they have had guns pointed at them by hunters at a hut while they were approaching the hut from a public track. Co workers were wearing normal colored casual clothes, like blue/white.

If I do end up on unrestricted public land on a weekend, i prefer blue camo pattern.
    Some interesting info I read online about what parts of the light spectrum that deer see said that the blue part of the spectrum stands out to deer the same as white would for the human eye. The takeaway from this is that if you want to reduce your visibility to deer then never wear blue.
    veitnamcam, Moa Hunter and Remote like this.
    ZeroPak Vacuum Sealers, Zero air Zero waste

I've seen and shot alot of deer bushstalking wearing the swandri blue checkering color. Does blue stand out to deer,perhaps. But does that matter, I don't think so.
    As far as I reckon white is the only color that is no good to wear
    Mathias, kukuwai, Preacher and 2 others like this.