Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree218Likes

Thread: Experienced Advice Appreciated For Long Range Hunting

Top Member Remington 5R .300 Win Mag's Avatar
    Obviously A Different Planet To The One You Bastards Are On!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nibblet View Post
    700 is a long way.
    What rifles are you guys planning on using?
    @BRADS has a video of me attempting a shot at 770, I was lucky with a complete miss, after printing tiny groups at that range and further all day on steel. Bad shooting position made for my terrible shot.
    Thankfully a complete miss and no wounded animal, still leaves you feeling shit for days with the what if I wounded it questions.

I'll be dark on that for a long time for not taking the time to get setup correctly.
    I agree, 700 is a long way, and I've done exactly as you've said by completely missing deer, however, I'm not wanting to sound cold or anything like that, but, you've written "still leaves you feeling shit for days with the what if I wounded it questions."

I call that 'collateral damage', I mean, I certainly don't go out with a cruelty to animals attitude, however, I am responsible enough to realize (exactly as you say) no-one's perfect, you can practice, practice and practice some more, at the rifle range and then go out in the field and have the bipod on a rock or something, that completely throws the shot, therefore, a wounded and lost animal is inevitable. If I had your type of thinking I wouldn't be able to go out at all, for fear of wounding and losing an animal. I work with death, it is my job, I ain't seen a decent death yet, no death is pleasant... you have to be responsible enough to be able to realize, 'wounding' is a very real part of the game, and therefore suck that up or simply don't go, stick to steel, as R93 recommends! Thanks for your comment.
    "Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten"!

Bro, don't do it.
    I'm sorry bro, it has to be done!

Ejected
    Bang on.

Doesn't matter what range the shot is taken they don't always end up perfect.

End of the day only you guys can make the call and it's all down to risk vs reward and your confidence in the situation.

Going by your original post though there's no real confidence in the long range drop chart?

What calibre are you planning to use?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Remington 5R .300 Win Mag View Post
    I agree, 700 is a long way, and I've done exactly as you've said by completely missing deer, however, I'm not wanting to sound cold or anything like that, but, you've written "still leaves you feeling shit for days with the what if I wounded it questions."

I call that 'collateral damage', I mean, I certainly don't go out with a cruelty to animals attitude, however, I am responsible enough to realize (exactly as you say) no-one's perfect, you can practice, practice and practice some more, at the rifle range and then go out in the field and have the bipod on a rock or something, that completely throws the shot, therefore, a wounded and lost animal is inevitable. If I had your type of thinking I wouldn't be able to go out at all, for fear of wounding and losing an animal. I work with death, it is my job, I ain't seen a decent death yet, no death is pleasant... you have to be responsible enough to be able to realize, 'wounding' is a very real part of the game, and therefore suck that up or simply don't go, stick to steel, as R93 recommends! Thanks for your comment.
    That's the most bullshit reply I've read on this forum mate.
    Wounding is not part of the game you need to work on your ethics.
    Listen to some of the advice given and stay at home watching tv

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    sneeze, Pointer, madjon_ and 7 others like this.

Bang on.

Doesn't matter what range the shot is taken they don't always end up perfect.

End of the day only you guys can make the call and it's all down to risk vs reward and your confidence in the situation.

Going by your original post though there's no real confidence in the long range drop chart?

What calibre are you planning to use?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Yeah, sorry mate um, we're using 7mm Remington Magnum 162 grain ELD-X (2,957 fps) and .300 Remington Ultra Magnum 225 grain ELD-M (2,930 fps)

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    That's the most bullshit reply I've read on this forum mate.
    Wounding is not part of the game you need to work on your ethics.
    Listen to some of the advice given and stay at home watching tv

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Ha, ha, yeah advice taken. I'll stay at home today and go out to the loading room and work on my ethics now with the creation of some more missiles... or should I say "hitiles"! Is that better?

This is interesting.
    You are asking for advise about something, and when people that are experienced, and know what they are talking about, offer their thoughts, you start to get flippant cos it doesn't fit with what you want to hear.
    Personally I think some more range time on paper would be beneficial to you and your mate.
    I feel more respect/empathy for your quarry is required, cos it doesn't sound like you care too much. One shot one clean kill.
    Ya can't park there mate.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    I will be blunt.

The fact either of you are even considering this with no experience or validation shows a total lack of common hunting ethics and respect for the animal.

Go shoot some steel and leave the animals alone.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Animals are cruel to each other in their cycle of survival. Predator and predated. Hunter and hunted. That's their natural way of things.

But what sets us apart in our own cycle with nature is an element that only man alone can bring. And that is respect for our quarry.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Why even bother asking? You're track record is that you couldn't really give a shit about it so why get a conscience now?
    700m is piss easy anyway. ALL those guys on Facebook and the hunting forums can do it about as easy as my dog can lick his balls.
    Go out, wound em up, give us all the reputation we're owed. It's not like they're going to stop making them anyway aye?
    Biggun708 likes this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

JWB
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Remington 5R .300 Win Mag View Post

It appears that your father forgot the condom!! Twice!!

With long range what about the retrieve?

If your shot is on dark and you wound how long are you going to leave it out there?
    Steve123 likes this.

Hello. Everyone has to learn but all game deserves a respectful death, as quick and humane as possible.

Anyone can "miss" right from close to a long way away, and any of the "misses" are a potential wounding of an animal, if you don't get it with a subsequent shot, you just don't know - yes a hit is a very audible thing but only in certain conditions i.e. close-ish and not too much other noise/wind etc. I know, I can miss rabbits at 25 yards and bigger stuff at 50 sometimes - so 200 and 300M are easy (too miss).

I like reading/watching some of the Tahr hunt video's and there are lots/many/heaps of "misses" on Tahr by all sorts of Hunters at ranges from close to long, and its the same if one goes to a gong shoot, everyone remembers their hits but few people focus on or recall the misses.

You've been jumped on a bit unfairly I think (let he who has not ever missed an animal be the first to cast stones your way so to speak) , but there is good advice here - zero your rifles, practice and stay with conservative shots.

Everyone's ethics vary, but one of the very finest marksman I have watched over a period of time on the internet shooting very well out to past 1000 metres on difficult targets - his take - He will not shoot at game over 400 metres. I feel the same way but my personal limit is 300m or so. The point is as your shooting abilities/equipment evolves you should be able to know what is a good distance for you and that's what ethical hunting is about.
    nor-west, madjon_ and StagDown like this.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    I will be blunt.

The fact either of you are even considering this with no experience or validation shows a total lack of common hunting ethics and respect for the animal.

Go shoot some steel and leave the animals alone.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Reading the rest of this thread Id say you were'nt blunt enough.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

From a personal experience I had, 600m can be a lot of ground to cover to sort out a fuck up in the shooting dept. It cost me a lost wounded animal and I am still annoyed with myself a year later for attempting the shot and causing a miserable suffering end for the unfortunate animal.
    I do shoot a lot of steel at far greater ranges than 600 but steel plates are not living breathing animals which deserve a little more respect.
    veitnamcam, madjon_ and Cordite like this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    Hello. Everyone has to learn but all game deserves a respectful death, as quick and humane as possible.

Anyone can "miss" right from close to a long way away, and any of the "misses" are a potential wounding of an animal, if you don't get it with a subsequent shot, you just don't know - yes a hit is a very audible thing but only in certain conditions i.e. close-ish and not too much other noise/wind etc. I know, I can miss rabbits at 25 yards and bigger stuff at 50 sometimes - so 200 and 300M are easy (too miss).

I like reading/watching some of the Tahr hunt video's and there are lots/many/heaps of "misses" on Tahr by all sorts of Hunters at ranges from close to long, and its the same if one goes to a gong shoot, everyone remembers their hits but few people focus on or recall the misses.

You've been jumped on a bit unfairly I think (let he who has not ever missed an animal be the first to cast stones your way so to speak) , but there is good advice here - zero your rifles, practice and stay with conservative shots.

Everyone's ethics vary, but one of the very finest marksman I have watched over a period of time on the internet shooting very well out to past 1000 metres on difficult targets - his take - He will not shoot at game over 400 metres. I feel the same way but my personal limit is 300m or so. The point is as your shooting abilities/equipment evolves you should be able to know what is a good distance for you and that's what ethical hunting is about.
    Thanks Tentman and thanks for all the other guys who have taken the time to reply. I too feel that the thread has jumped the tracks a bit here and has become a bit of a 'pick on me' session. The thread has nothing to do with morality and long range shooting/hunting ethics per-se! For all of you here, the fact that we are going to shoot at animals out to around 7-800 meters 'IS' a happening thing, so you'll simply just have to get used to it.

Now, I can understand that in public forums, such as this, someone starts to through his/her ethical weight around, then another jumps on the band wagon, then before you know it you've created a 'pack-mentality' whereby everyone has to be seen to have the 'holier than thou' attitude!

The purpose of this thread is (for my brother's sake) should we be checking, and therefore 'knowing' where our bullets are going at the ranges we intend to shoot, at prior to going or, should we just go hunting first, at those ranges, and then check our POI 'after' the deer shooting's done? Increasing the chances of missing and/or wounding animals.

I personally (like most of you out there I'm sure) have got advanced equipment to be able to give me a theoretical trajectory, based on a number of perimeters that I have acquired (velocity, BC, barometric pressure, temperature, zeroing distance etc) however, I would like to verify them in real time. My brother, on the other hand, hasn't.

Anyway, kidmac42 is kinda right, in that this thread is not giving me the answers I was hoping for, and R93 was right in that I can, and already have, answered my own questions, so I'll leave you all to it, and go my merry way! Thanks for all who have tried to reply genuinely.