Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: First deer for me

Missed my first public land deer the other week. Bloody heartbroken but obviously doing something right.
    veitnamcam, stretch and berg243 like this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    On ya stretch.
    stretch likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

There are no 'mistakes' ...just learning opportunities. Well done. Having similar issues to do with learning kayak fishing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    stretch likes this.

Good report, missing is part of the game, it brings you back to reality especially when it a nice close easy one, well done. It's all a learning curve and we are always learning weather old or new at the sport.
    stretch and berg243 like this.

Nice one @stretch good to see you get one. Now where's two now that you have some practice under your belt
    By the way love the photo of you and the deer, you look like you have a band aid in your left hand and your trying to stick its head back on looks like it was good eating
    stretch likes this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Nice one mate I was lucky and my first deer presented itself at 20m so was a dead sight easier than your first shots. My brother however is a bloody good shot but had such bad buck fever he missed every deer presented for about 3 trips (atleast 5 cant remember exactly it was quite some time ago) and while on these trips he would comfortably shoot goats out to 300m. The excitement and nerves dont help and your mechanical problems meant you should be proud of your success. Plus now you will check your gear better than the rest of us.
    stretch likes this.

Yep, well done, and nicely told, first deer, is something to remember, enjoy the fine dining,
    and you got it done with Murphy, tagging along,

Well done mate, my first 3 shots (two at one of them) where misses......great result and well done for keeping your nerve on the third as it can blow your confidence out of the water.....
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Scouser View Post
    Well done mate, my first 3 shots (two at one of them) where misses......great result and well done for keeping your nerve on the third as it can blow your confidence out of the water.....
    Yep, I was feeling pretty demoralised after my misses.

GWH
    Good report Stretch, nice to see a good frank report, you can never have enough practice to confirm your setup and poi at various ranges. I spend a fair bit of time at the range shooting my various rifles, and it sure pays off.

That scope you have will be able to dial perfectly well to adjust elavation for extended ranges. I have some of the older 4-12 Diamondbacks on some of my rifles, which i purchased with the BDC reticle, but i found they dial perfectly. Have shot steel with my 223 to 600 yards by dialling the diamonback. A really good zero is however super important.

A hold over reticle can certainly be used to good effect out to 300 - 400 yards, but dialling is always better. Use a good ballistic app on your phone and you are away, like Strelok or Shooter.

Congrats on the first deer, looks tasty, and im sure there will be more to follow.
    stretch likes this.

Too good Stretch.

I missed a fallow at 5m once It was at full pace toward me but still it was 5m
    veitnamcam and stretch like this.

Good on you. Be no stopping you now. Might be worth putting some nail varnish on those trigger screws.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Good on you. Be no stopping you now. Might be worth putting some nail varnish on those trigger screws.
    I put a small dab of weak Loctite on them last night. Away laughing now.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by superdiver View Post
    Missed my first public land deer the other week. Bloody heartbroken but obviously doing something right.
    Are you sure you missed it? I having taken it upon myself to guide more than a few newbs over the years have seen it more times than I can count (and I have extra digits comming from the souf) "fark I missed!" "You sure mate looked like a hit a bit far back to me" "na I musthave missed" "I am going to look and you are comming too" "ah fuck im pretty sure I missed it ay" "come on cunt its over here somewhere...oh look there it is!"

Not saying you didnt miss, it happens even to the best/most experienced here me and everyone else here included but you have to follow it up...deer can bugger off like nothing has happened when a bullet has passed right threw them and die out of sight...maybe even hundreds of meters away.
    BRADS, Scouser and Gibo like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Awesome work. May there be many more
    stretch likes this.