Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: First deer for me

good1 always good to get 1 under ya belt. Ive missed a few when I started and have learned some hard lessons along the way... all of which have payed off now that im teaching my boy to shoot. good luck with ya next adventure.
    stretch likes this.

Well done stretch,enjoy yr 1st deer.Dont worry about the missed shots,they are called learning shots.And you become a better hunter for it.
    stretch likes this.

Well done that man!

Thank you for taking the time to share it with us!
    stretch likes this.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Are you sure you missed it? I having taken it upon myself to guide more than a few newbs over the years have seen it more times than I can count (and I have extra digits comming from the souf) "fark I missed!" "You sure mate looked like a hit a bit far back to me" "na I musthave missed" "I am going to look and you are comming too" "ah fuck im pretty sure I missed it ay" "come on cunt its over here somewhere...oh look there it is!"

Not saying you didnt miss, it happens even to the best/most experienced here me and everyone else here included but you have to follow it up...deer can bugger off like nothing has happened when a bullet has passed right threw them and die out of sight...maybe even hundreds of meters away.
    Spot on Cam. Splash behind an animal that is witnessed by the shooter can also be very misleading.

If you cannot see the swirl of the projectile on the way to the target but can see splash and it is way off high low or behind etc, most people would assume a miss when the projectile has just hit bone or deflected inside the animal.
    I have seen some horrible shooting over the years and confidently walked away knowing 100% it was a miss.
    But I follow 99% of perceived missed shots these days.

Another thing that annoys me is people not being ready for a second shot that often presents itself because they seen the animal drop, only to get up again because it was hit in the leg, top of the spine or in the guts.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam, BRADS and Cordite like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post

Another thing that annoys me is people not being ready for a second shot that often presents itself because they seen the animal drop, only to get up again because it was hit in the leg, top of the spine or in the guts.

+1 on that Dave, seen this happen so many times, guys jump up and start giving high fives while you lye there watching the animal and see a kick next thing it's up and gone...less than ideal

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam and Cordite like this.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    +1 on that Dave, seen this happen so many times, guys jump up and start giving high fives while you lye there watching the animal and see a kick next thing it's up and gone...less than ideal

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    I really have to check myself when a client that has regaled you with heroic shooting exploits, stuffs up.

BRADS likes this.

As guides should you not brief them on putting another up it straight after the shot? If not brief them prior to the shot tell them to immediately after? Cant boo hoo them for not knowing what they don't know.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    As guides should you not brief them on putting another up it straight after the shot? If not brief them prior to the shot tell them to immediately after? Cant boo hoo them for not knowing what they don't know.
    You can brief people on tons of shit mate. Not just shooting related and it all goes out the window once they are amped.

Dumb I know, but you also give some clients credit for their experience when you get shown photos and told stories of their exploits.

We have made a lot of new rules and changes on how we deal with the shooting side of things regarding new clients for this season.
    We get a lot of regulars that we trust.
    We have also started to carry a rifle ourselves which can be a pain in the ass.

veitnamcam, Gibo and Cordite like this.