Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: First gun

Quote Originally Posted by Bavarian_Hunter View Post
    +1 on the 30-06 not being a cannon haha I've heard it all before though, my old man was the same, put me off for years I was literally too scared to try a 300wm until I was 19 and I was still hesitant and afterwards I thought is that it? So went out and got one.

As for the argument of "booting guns" I think you only ever feel it on the bench and if its on your mind as your lining up a big stag I really believe you shouldnt be taking the life of such a beautiful animal because you're heart ain't in it.
    Lmao, thats the whole point isnt it, when you get your first gun or any gun for that matter you have to take it to the range and sight it and feel good about how it shoots and how you shoot with it. if the only thing you fired is a .22 and you go out and get a 3006 or something bigger lots of people after a couple of so shots at the range will have a flinch, and it will effect there shooting badly. More likely the rifle wont be sighted as good as it should as after getting the recoil flinch close enough is good enough . Then they go out with with the mental thinking that i got a big banger, anywhere near is good enough and boom away they go. You lose just as many animals, maybe more with a big caliber with poor shot placement than a smaller caliber with better shot placement. Of cause im talking about newbys with little experence with firearms , surely starting off with something more user friendly is the way to go. 243 up to a 7mm-08 must be a good start, then move up to something bigger if you want. Only saying this as i know 4 people who did what is just being suggested by some on here, they went with a 270 or bigger for there first gun and put one of shooting completely, and the other 3 couldnt hit a barn door after getting the recoil flinch and even took them awhile to get the confidence to shoot a 243 well after such a experence. Doesnt happen to everyone but it can happen to people, better off starting out with something like a 243, you become a better shooter for itr anyway
    Gruntled and lloydcj like this.

deerhuntergatherer
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    Get something that is cheap to shoot and shoot a lot. Practice will have more effect on your shooting than glass quality blah blah etc.
    Yeah this is a good option, a few years ago lost all my rifles in a barn fire, bought a Mossberg 270 with a cheap scope and the first 2 shots at 90 meters produced 2 hinds from this bore sighted combo and it served its purpose for 3 years until getting another A-bolt

Plenty. Have been shooting deer for around 6 years years now.
    Plus lots of Rabbit and Possums.

Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    How much shooting have you actually done Dylan?

My thought's are 243 is for those that have done a fair amount and know how to use them. Even then they should pass up the marginal shots, for a first rifle I'd get a calibre that's a bit more forgiving.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylan Pearson View Post
    Plenty. Have been shooting deer for around 6 years years now.
    Plus lots of Rabbit and Possums.
    So.......what have you decided on DP? your young its your choice there are atleast 10 more rifles you will buy in your lifetime if you chose to. so get what you want and learn to shoot it no matter what calibre once you know how to shoot it it will be deadly.go hard mate.
    CreepingDeath likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckshot View Post
    So.......what have you decided on DP? your young its your choice there are atleast 10 more rifles you will buy in your lifetime if you chose to. so get what you want and learn to shoot it no matter what calibre once you know how to shoot it it will be deadly.go hard mate.
    Yep after 4 pages of crap that just that just about sums it up
    Sounds like you have a done a fair bit of hunting mate, more than some on here.
    Go get any of the mentioned cals and get amongst it

Quote Originally Posted by deer243 View Post
    Lmao, thats the whole point isnt it, when you get your first gun or any gun for that matter you have to take it to the range and sight it and feel good about how it shoots and how you shoot with it. if the only thing you fired is a .22 and you go out and get a 3006 or something bigger lots of people after a couple of so shots at the range will have a flinch, and it will effect there shooting badly. More likely the rifle wont be sighted as good as it should as after getting the recoil flinch close enough is good enough . Then they go out with with the mental thinking that i got a big banger, anywhere near is good enough and boom away they go. You lose just as many animals, maybe more with a big caliber with poor shot placement than a smaller caliber with better shot placement. Of cause im talking about newbys with little experence with firearms , surely starting off with something more user friendly is the way to go. 243 up to a 7mm-08 must be a good start, then move up to something bigger if you want. Only saying this as i know 4 people who did what is just being suggested by some on here, they went with a 270 or bigger for there first gun and put one of shooting completely, and the other 3 couldnt hit a barn door after getting the recoil flinch and even took them awhile to get the confidence to shoot a 243 well after such a experence. Doesnt happen to everyone but it can happen to people, better off starting out with something like a 243, you become a better shooter for itr anyway
    the bloke who got put off using a 270 must have been 7 years old yeh? my nine year old brothrr uses a 270 and 3006 and does it easy. I think you misread the point you are never going to hit every deer correctly with any calibre I would much rather mishit a deer eoth something big.

.50cal ftw
    BRADS and Dylan Pearson like this.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Fucken worse thing ive heard for a while. Id rather misshit a deer with something big. Fuck off. Some people have a fucktarded view on things. Some people dont like heavy recoiling cals what is it to you. I learnt to shoot with steel butted 303s and 8mm mausers but owned a 300wsm for a short time and developed a flinch after years of shooting. Took me a while to shake it. Now ill shoot anything with a supressor on it and fuck all without one. Advising someone to get a larger cal so you dont have to aim properly is just fucking ludicrious.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    falconhell, GravelBen and BRADS like this.

Quote Originally Posted by CreepingDeath View Post
    Fucken worse thing ive heard for a while. Id rather misshit a deer with something big. Fuck off. Some people have a fucktarded view on things. Some people dont like heavy recoiling cals what is it to you. I learnt to shoot with steel butted 303s and 8mm mausers but owned a 300wsm for a short time and developed a flinch after years of shooting. Took me a while to shake it. Now ill shoot anything with a supressor on it and fuck all without one. Advising someone to get a larger cal so you dont have to aim properly is just fucking ludicrious.

I dont think that's what is being said mate. are you seriously saying you never misshit deer and never lose them?
    As for developing a flinch with a 300wsm i think that says something about what you feel comfortable with personally and not the calibre. I genuinely find my shoulder much more uncomfortable after a 75 target field and game session than with 10 shots off the bench eith the 300wm. And that's using 28gms through the shotty ha
    I think you need to steady on mate getting a bit too agro. everyone is just giving their opinions and there is no need to have a crack for that.

dylan -you've done some hunting so would have an idea anyway but I wouldnt use a 243 or under on a rutting stag, bloody oath it'll kill him but a couple of inches off and it could be curtains. In fact there was a thread here this rut about a bloke who hit one spot on and lost it. Anything that can push out a 100gn pill at a good speed will kill any red and I used to love by that but since seeing how much more humane going that little bit bigger is I couldn't go back. I'm running 180 ttsx at the moment (which were bought for sambar) but when they run out I'm going to settle on 165gn ttsx for everything in aus but hoggies and fallow which I use my 270 and 140gn tsx. That's my preference anyway. Like wirehunt said shot options are limited with small centrefires and your responsibility as an ethical hunter will prevent you from taking a lot more shots. At the end of the day this argument is in one way or another an animal ethics issue and we owe it to them to put as little pain into the whole experience as possible.

good luck with whatever you do mate, let us know when you decide and happy hunting

I have gut shot one deer and never recovered it that was early in my hunting life and it made me sick i went back there for two days after trying to find it that was with a 270. Since then I have not taken the shot more than i have, simply because i wasnt happy with the shot. Sorry maybe i was a little agro but it was just the way i read it.
    I have been lucky mostly with my hunting on private land with good animal numbers that i havnt felt pressured to take the animal if the shot is marginal. I understand the point you were trying to make by having a bigger cal gives a little more room for human error it was how it was written that threw me off. Young hunters are impressionable if you tell them you can blow the back end off a deer with a 30/30 8/10 of them will believe you. As for the 300wsm giving me a flinch , it wasnt the recoil it was the apocolyptic boom that followed pulling the trigger.

Toby likes this.

Dont make me laugh lol, you say there was a thread on here who used a 243 and hit a stag spot on and lost it Lmao. Firstly, if he hit it spot on it would be dead, end of story. Clearly he didnt hit it spot on or it wouldnt got away would it, and it certainly wouldnt matter fuck all what calber he used, if it ran and got away it prob wasnt hit right as a 243 will knock anything over if hit spot on! Secondly, all depends on the hunting you are doing, horses for courses. if you hunting open country, tops etc and taking 400m plus shots sometimes clearly maybe theres a better choice than a 243. If you bush stalking, or like the challage of getting close or shooting fallow etc a 243 is ideal. If you dont like recoil a 300mag is clearly not ideal etc. I sometimes wonder about some people who run down 243 or similar calbers and say you need bigger the better. It all depends on personal choice, type of hunting involved, what animals you likely to be shooting etc. Personally i think the more skilled shooters are the ones that use a 243 etc and the more unskilled have to use a cannon lol but clearly that only goes to some of you lol. Nothing wrong with a big banger in the right hands, and clearly for longer range they are the better option , but dont under esermare the 243
    CreepingDeath likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by deer243 View Post
    Dont make me laugh lol, you say there was a thread on here who used a 243 and hit a stag spot on and lost it Lmao. Firstly, if he hit it spot on it would be dead, end of story. Clearly he didnt hit it spot on or it wouldnt got away would it, and it certainly wouldnt matter fuck all what calber he used, if it ran and got away it prob wasnt hit right as a 243 will knock anything over if hit spot on! Secondly, all depends on the hunting you are doing, horses for courses. if you hunting open country, tops etc and taking 400m plus shots sometimes clearly maybe theres a better choice than a 243. If you bush stalking, or like the challage of getting close or shooting fallow etc a 243 is ideal. If you dont like recoil a 300mag is clearly not ideal etc. I sometimes wonder about some people who run down 243 or similar calbers and say you need bigger the better. It all depends on personal choice, type of hunting involved, what animals you likely to be shooting etc. Personally i think the more skilled shooters are the ones that use a 243 etc and the more unskilled have to use a cannon lol but clearly that only goes to some of you lol. Nothing wrong with a big banger in the right hands, and clearly for longer range they are the better option , but dont under esermare the 243
    I dont think anyone is running 243 down. I love them and will definitely own one sgain in the near future. I just personally don't think its the optimal calibre for Red deer, in fact is lose my guns if I was caught using one on red deer. I don't think anyone has said it won't kill them its just not optimal which in my opinion is what its about. The victorian govt seems to share that idea although I'm not sure then if that's a good thing.

all good CD bit of fun, Ive made a habit of leaving my earmuffs in the Ute now, makes it even more fun when there is no suppressors here haha

Yea one of the main reasons i never jumped ship to oz was there fudiculious gun laws the worst of which is no suppressors.

Some are justifiable but that one there is quite a dandy

I see now, you a aussie lol no offence but the shooting over there isnt quite the same as here. Clearly its horses for courses and in aus they tend to have to go for the .50cal etc lol.. makes theaussie man feel good or something, well, just a rumour haha

Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!