Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree11Likes
  • 4 Post By matto1234
  • 2 Post By ex-NZFS
  • 2 Post By sako75
  • 1 Post By sako75
  • 2 Post By ex-NZFS

Thread: first roar trip and stag encounter

first roar trip and stag encounter

My first roar season has been a bit slow with very few stags being vocal in the northern pureoras, i am on a 3 day trip with a mate of mine and we spooked a big stag on a ridge top at 12pm (middle of the day). He crashed off in a big hurry and was probably only 10m away. Probably having a nap the poor bugger , he ran over the ridge edge into a steep gully and i followed it in by myself. About halfway down he spotted me let out a big bark (i almost shat myself) and ran away and continued to bark 5-6times while i followed but eventually lost him. No chance for a shot as i only got a glance at his ass as he took off and my heart was pumping so hard i would have missed anyhow. Been bloody quiet in here only a few stags going after 5pm and around 3 in the morning. Hopefully have better luck tomorrow..

Cheers, Matt

Good luck for the rest of the hunt.
    Hunt the bush like it isn't the roar, and treat it as a bonus if they do.

Good start mate, they certainly get the blood pumping.......
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Heard him roar around 5 and snuck in but he obviously heard or smelt us as he ran down the gut and let out a bark. We tried roaring it back and he replied once barked again and continued to sneak away.

Now why would a good stag not have any hinds? He was by himself on both occasions?

the big bys rut first - usually aqctive from mid - laqte march onwards - a lot of the hinds have been in oestrus and have been served - he may have done his work for the year - we are coming into the tail end of the roar - the ones going to town are usally young boys hoping fopr a bit of action..
    My experience with older stags is they are cagey - dont roar much and often clam up when you roar at them- this time of year they will sneak in to suss you out and try to cut your wind be aware of that and try to out manouver him to to catch him out .
    once they have got a whiff of you shes all over red rover - forget trying to move in on him her will bark and perform but wont let you get close enough for a shot - they don't get old by being stupoid - most have learnt from prev encounters - I find pays to try to pinpoint the stag then figure gthe wind advantage and move in quietly - take your time use every sense you got - often hear then moving in only do short groan - hind call when you really close - have wind advantage and you want him to move just a bit closer - they are not all predictable - I've been taught a few lessons over the years by some shrewd stags - all I could do was give them a claqp and a bow of respect as they showed me aclean set of hooves

enjoy - the most exhiliarating thing there is...
    PERRISCICABA and Sideshow like this.

He didnt show up today , heard a couple roars but he shut up pretty quickly and wouldnt reply to anything. Is he likely to hang around the same area or do they move off into deeper bush for winter?

I like that you are out there doing it and getting some good contacts on your first roar trip.
    He hasn't got old by been sucked in. As said he has likely done his bit and is now going to get in condition for the winter.
    Go back there in May and you may well find him in areas of good feed.
    Boaraxa and matto1234 like this.

End of the month/May can be a good time to pick up a stag usually by now the stags are getting pretty worn out so before winter really sets in they eat as much as they can ..so if theres slips or bushline handy to where your stag is would be a good place to start

There is a few big clearings about 800m from the peak he was hanging around, a single tree on the edge was roughed up pretty badly recently which could have been him. Any idea why he would roar and then bark almost straight after? If he knew i wasnt another stag why would he bother roaring and not just run away?

It is what they do. Once they start barking they are pretty much gone
    matto1234 likes this.

Matto - the main thing is you are out there and getting experience - it takes time and a lot of stag encounters to clue you up as to the best tactic of approach - as
    I said sometimes they are not predictable I have had big mature stags nut off and crash in recklessly and a simple matter to take him - but this definitely is the exception - I can only put it down to his being so fired up - you are on his turf threatening to take a girl or 2 and he is gonna sort you out good and proper... I have had young stags prove very elusive and cat and mouse - these ones live to grow.
    often when there is a sweemingly constant wind drift he advances only so much - stands in a gully of thick rubbish or behind a wall of rubbish no amount of enticing will shift him - -eventually you succumb and edge closer then feel a wind change - and its straight to him and crash hes gone - these are local wind eddies and backswirls that he knows too well and suckers you in closer so he can get a whiff they know their territory as well as you know the internal layout of your house - scent is king - that's how they recognise each other by their scent signature - a stag will try everything to cut your wind corridor so oplanning and positioning yourself to take this into account is the key.- If hes roaring well dont roar at him and move only when he roars when in close - that way you can get close enough so ol granny could poke him with her knitting needle - and crucially you have a element of surprise as hes blissfully unaware this is where hunting in pairs can work to advantage - one hangs back and keeps him roaring from distance - while the other goes in - you take turn about looking at the stags - great fun. the golden rule is that the bloke staying back - does not move and is totally trustworthy and safe. .

once you have mucked up a stag - he generally vacates the patch goes to ground and that's the last you will see of/hear of him - your first go is your only go generally
    PERRISCICABA and matto1234 like this.