Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Fish and Game

We can get a possible 180 ducks over the season here. That's limiting out every day.

So in a way it's worth $91 but that's assuming you can get 6 ducks a day. On the bright side if you limit out over opening it shouldn't be more then a box of ammo
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by Uplandstalker View Post
    It is disappointing that people only want to get involved with F&G when things aren't going their way. This also can be seen at the local rugby or netball club too, people with their own agenda, instead of a common goal of the best interests of all members( or license holders).

Yes, most farming CAN have a poor effect on our waterways, even including cropping. It would be nice if 98% of dairy farm had the waterways fenced, but struggle to see how this is actually policed. Having a tanker driver report not fence areas, only goes as far as the dairy company want it to. Certainly agree that Sheep and beef farms run stock in the river beds, however, low intensity farming produces less of an effect than large scale dairy operations (as in multiple large farms in a catchment, not just one property).

Nutrient budgets do not actually prevent the nutrients entering the soils and waterways, just like paying a carbon tax prevents the release of carbon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The company we are with are very strict we have "Water inspectors",Shed inspectors,fertiliser inspectors,effluent inspectors just to name a few so we are pretty well watched. It makes me think this Dirty dairying is a Southland problemo?
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    We can get a possible 180 ducks over the season here. That's limiting out every day.

So in a way it's worth $91 but that's assuming you can get 6 ducks a day. On the bright side if you limit out over opening it shouldn't be more then a box of ammo
    Did you vote for you local man? Also, dont be afraid to travel a little, just like deer hunting?.

$0.50 per duck, cheaper than buying a chicken and you get to enjoy your past time.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Good to hear this is getting policed. So you are not with a Chinese company then.

Again, I agree that sleep and beef need to do their part too.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
    Dundee likes this.

South land problem?

Not according to that keeping it pure series that was on.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I thought of another good positive. Most ducks I ever got by myself was 6 so at least I have a chance of limiting out this year
    Uplandstalker likes this.
    VIVA LA HOWA

I have owned a DS license since I was old enough to hold a shotgun and a fair few trout licenses as well. I resent every dollar I have spent! I've just bought this years license and I've got to say I nearly didn't.
    As a dairy farmer I am sick of having the boot stuck in by Fish and Game! They spend all this time blaming farmers for water quality, without ever looking at the pollution that flows in from towns and cities (storm water and in some cases sewrege) . Yet when it comes time to collectively solve the problem via the 'Clean Stream Accord' Fish and Game pull out! Great things have been achieved in recent years and farmers have a far better understanding of the flow on effects of their nutrient decisions, but Fish and Game are not helping!

I'm not convinced they actually want water quality, I think they just want someone convenient to blame for the lack of it AND they are wasting MY license fees doing it!!!!
    Dundee, mikee and username like this.
    If my work annoys me, I cull them

Those inspectors you list are nothing more than feel good measures for a completly naive and unaware public. Every townie that flushes their toilet or washes their car in the street is helping to pollute our water ways. Outdated farming practices and ideas keep getting taught to our young and future landowners. Councils hand out consents willy nilly to take water or chemically pollute land, all the time using some rough dreamed up guideline that makes any limits sound safe.

The decline in the state of the waterways in my area make me fuckin sick. Where once i would find crawleys trout and eels in amoungst the water weed i now see barren mud bottomed streams, devoid of life and riddled with pockets of slime. As a kid i would catch tadpoles in drains on the farm and i couldnt sleep at night because of the racket the frogs kicked up in the garden. I havnt seen a tadpole for over 20 years now, and im still on the same farm. The frogs have vanished.

Nothings going to change and it never will when there are dollars to be made. Fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Uplandstalker View Post
    It is disappointing that people only want to get involved with F&G when things aren't going their way. This also can be seen at the local rugby or netball club too, people with their own agenda, instead of a common goal of the best interests of all members( or license holders).

Yes, most farming CAN have a poor effect on our waterways, even including cropping. It would be nice if 98% of dairy farm had the waterways fenced, but struggle to see how this is actually policed. Having a tanker driver report not fence areas, only goes as far as the dairy company want it to. Certainly agree that Sheep and beef farms run stock in the river beds, however, low intensity farming produces less of an effect than large scale dairy operations (as in multiple large farms in a catchment, not just one property).

Nutrient budgets do not actually prevent the nutrients entering the soils and waterways, just like paying a carbon tax prevents the release of carbon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    We had our inspection last year. The Fonterra guy didn't just take my word for it. He walked ALL of our waterways. You are welcome to do the same if you feel the need
    Dundee and username like this.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    South land problem?

Not according to that keeping it pure series that was on.
    Sorry VC I didn't see that I watch f all tv
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Quote Originally Posted by Rich007 View Post
    I have owned a DS license since I was old enough to hold a shotgun and a fair few trout licenses as well. I resent every dollar I have spent! I've just bought this years license and I've got to say I nearly didn't.
    If you're the landowner or manager you don't need to buy a license...
    Toby likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brakelie View Post
    If you're the landowner or manager you don't need to buy a license...
    I'm a Sharemilker, but I don't just shoot on the farm. I shoot opening on a public lake in central HB so unfortunately I need a license to claim my hut and I'm pretty sure you need one to shoot 'off' farm. It would solve my problem though

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    Agree with most of that
    I've spent a lot if time jet boating the manawatu and all the little side creeks.
    I remember when oringi was working there was a massive pipe about 4 foot round that flowed continually into the river it was bad looking shit I always wondered if it was supposed to be there........
    Same thing at alliance in Vegas.
    I think the big intensive dairy farming up this way is not doing any of our rivers a favour
    Sheep and beef farmers up here don't have the money to farm as intensively as the dairy boys.
    Not a dairy dig in any way just an observation from the other side of the fence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I was of the understanding Oringi was closed due to Fonterra no longer allowing the waste from the works being spread over the surrounding pastures? I'm sure there were other economic reasons too and this was a convenient excuse.
    I went for a fish behind Oringi the other day and it was surprising how murky the river (Manawatu?) was. Compared to the rivers around you @BRADS it looked a bit gross. I certainly would not drink from it.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Free hat?
    buy a license from hunting and fishing and you get a free hat

we got knifes last year
    OPCz

If in doubt double tap

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
    Had a few beers at the pub the other day $5.00 for a handle what a rip off,2 rounds for me and the Mrs cost $18 bux when I could of got a box of 18 cans for 20. So I got a box
    geez we pay $5.80 a handle up here and thats for waikato
    OPCz

If in doubt double tap