Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Fish and Game

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I was of the understanding Oringi was closed due to Fonterra no longer allowing the waste from the works being spread over the surrounding pastures? I'm sure there were other economic reasons too and this was a convenient excuse.
    I went for a fish behind Oringi the other day and it was surprising how murky the river (Manawatu?) was. Compared to the rivers around you @BRADS it looked a bit gross. I certainly would not drink from it.
    You are right James I think I said when it was working?
    Yeah the water is not good there,
    But it's surrounded by dairy farms all the way two it's head at norsewood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    A pipe into the creek wouldn't be at all surprising either back in the good old days. It was a Richmond plant originally?
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Have a look at the lake in the heart of Hamilton...filthy cess pit...surrounded by humans and not a dairy farm for miles. A cull on the ducks there would help.
    Uplandstalker likes this.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    A pipe into the creek wouldn't be at all surprising either back in the good old days. It was a Richmond plant originally?
    Yes Richmonds. Shit I'm old but not that old I'm only talking 12 odd years ago.

Dear townie / ill informed person

We do get inspected often and the inspectors do have teeth and you will end up with a $20000 fine from major effluent mishaps and from fonterra if they find issues your milk will not be picked up until the situation is rectified. To me fonterra are more strict than any other agency checking our operation. There are changes in the works surrounding leeching and fert application which will to my eyes stop any dairy in its tracks. You cant expect changes to happen immediately because that would bankrupt an industry

Also have a look at your local community or the ones you drive through to your duck pond, hunting spot etc they most probably are only thriving because of dairying it is by no mean just farmers that benefit. Eg 15-20 years ago before dairying oamaru was fuckn dead half the shops were empty. now its a thriving town with every retail space occupied. The only difference is the dairy boom. And there are still a heap of ducks around. The most in the fuckn country.

Fed farmers is telling its members to refuse access to hunters and fishermen because of the shit some stir so watch who you poke a stick at.

Just saying.

Nathan F and gadgetman like this.

Username I'm now going to drink my coffee black ! Let me no if you feel the pinch ha ha ! Am taking the piss .
    The fear I have wrongly or rightly is water usage and nutrient leaching into aquifers . What's your thoughts ?
    It's is good to hear that dairying is leading the way with its stict effluent policy's .
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    Username I'm now going to drink my coffee black ! Let me no if you feel the pinch ha ha ! Am taking the piss .
    The fear I have wrongly or rightly is water usage and nutrient leaching into aquifers . What's your thoughts ?
    It's is good to hear that dairying is leading the way with its stict effluent policy's .
    Probably is munsey! I don't disagree dairy pollutes but try getting onto your council they are the ones allowing water rights and conversions in your catchment its not a farmers responsibility to to conduct research into the affects on waterways. Land owners pay massive rates to the council to do that job. On our 3k dead end road there is about 35-40M dollars worth of well established dairy farms. Can you imagine the rates? And the tax paid! Yet we have a pot hole filled gravel road that we cant get out of if it floods, poor cell service. Poor internet. Oamaru hospital is a joke. Waimate schools are decile 1. Yet that money goes somewhere?
    If you are told its ok by the council you don't question it. Chch was still building on swamps up until the earth quakes

veitnamcam, Munsey and Lentil like this.

Quote Originally Posted by username View Post
    Dear townie / ill informed person

We do get inspected often and the inspectors do have teeth and you will end up with a $20000 fine from major effluent mishaps and from fonterra if they find issues your milk will not be picked up until the situation is rectified. To me fonterra are more strict than any other agency checking our operation. There are changes in the works surrounding leeching and fert application which will to my eyes stop any dairy in its tracks. You cant expect changes to happen immediately because that would bankrupt an industry

Also have a look at your local community or the ones you drive through to your duck pond, hunting spot etc they most probably are only thriving because of dairying it is by no mean just farmers that benefit. Eg 15-20 years ago before dairying oamaru was fuckn dead half the shops were empty. now its a thriving town with every retail space occupied. The only difference is the dairy boom. And there are still a heap of ducks around. The most in the fuckn country.

Fed farmers is telling its members to refuse access to hunters and fishermen because of the shit some stir so watch who you poke a stick at.

Just saying.

13.8 billion injection into the economy aint bad and an estimated 50c of every $1 spent locally by farmers, i got your back username
    Munsey, username and Uplandstalker like this.

I do agree that things are heading in the right direction, and good to see some passion and fire from fellow hunters, we can all coexist. Now we just need the regional and local councils need to play a bigger part.

I do recall a couple of years back when F&G really started to jump all over the gravel extraction from river beds. Specially the unconsented stuff. So, it not jump the farmers they get into.

We aren't all townies either, I certainly don't live in the city, just a small town in Canterbury where even my wife works for the dairy giant - so thanks all for keeping her employed!
    username likes this.

Probably is munsey! I don't disagree dairy pollutes but try getting onto your council they are the ones allowing water rights and conversions in your catchment its not a farmers responsibility to to conduct research into the affects on waterways. Land owners pay massive rates to the council to do that job. On our 3k dead end road there is about 35-40M dollars worth of well established dairy farms. Can you imagine the rates? And the tax paid! Yet we have a pot hole filled gravel road that we cant get out of if it floods, poor cell service. Poor internet. Oamaru hospital is a joke. Waimate schools are decile 1. Yet that money goes somewhere?
    If you are told its ok by the council you don't question it. Chch was still building on swamps up until the earth quakes

It is ECAN here that issues those consents and, because they were following the guidelines to improve the situation and being fairly strict, the central government put in statutory management to get things moving. The towns and cities have also been doing their part to improve water quality by installing better effluent treatment plants (costing massive amounts of money) and imposing much stricter controls on waste/emissions from industries, forcing quite a few to close.

Dairying has also made huge improvements at huge expense. We all have a way to go, including other areas of farming, but it needs to be done at an economically sustainable rate. There is no point shutting the country down for an immediate fix for something that needs to and will take time. I think it is time for F&G to stop fighting the farming sector and start working with them to make improvements.
    Rich007, Munsey, Toby and 1 others like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    It is ECAN here that issues those consents and, because they were following the guidelines to improve the situation and being fairly strict, the central government put in statutory management to get things moving. The towns and cities have also been doing their part to improve water quality by installing better effluent treatment plants (costing massive amounts of money) and imposing much stricter controls on waste/emissions from industries, forcing quite a few to close.

Dairying has also made huge improvements at huge expense. We all have a way to go, including other areas of farming, but it needs to be done at an economically sustainable rate. There is no point shutting the country down for an immediate fix for something that needs to and will take time. I think it is time for F&G to stop fighting the farming sector and start working with them to make improvements.
    Good post. Things are moving but its not an overnight thing. Just because its not on cambell live or in the latest doco doesn't mean its not happening. Remember media only publish negative things because we all love to be outraged!!! let this be a lesson to you "Dont text and drive". Just crashed into a post

Good post. Things are moving but its not an overnight thing. Just because its not on cambell live or in the latest doco doesn't mean its not happening. Remember media only publish negative things because we all love to be outraged!!! let this be a lesson to you "Dont text and drive". Just crashed into a post

And they are not afraid of letting the truth get in the way of a good story.

At least the bars look like they took most of it.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

1. The environment is everones responsibility to maintain. We all polute. Some more than others. But we can all do our bit. Recycling correctly is probably the biggest thing we can all do. And composting, another major that is achievable for 'common' householders. I agree that legislative bodies, local and national governments need to be spending more money and TIME at ground level solving the big issues within big industry polluters. Ive actually just enrolled to do an Environmental management certificate. Which Fonterra ( my employer) are very supportive of. So look out for more on this subject in the future.

2. F&G imo do a good job. The cost of licenses are generally very fair. But I do believe there should be greater flexibility around time frames for fishing licenses ie: a 1 week licence should be available at a fair price in comparison to a 52 week license. And $20 odd dollars for one day is probably to much. In regards to policing ive never been confronted so I cant comment.

Woah that's a long comment sorry. Haha

NZ 100% PURE. please... what a joke...

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

If fonterra was actually trying to do its part for the environment then it wouldnt be able to stay in business. Anything they claim is helping is just a token feel good gesture while the real issues are ignored. The same goes for any other big money industry. Pollution of mankinds most valuable resource, water, is here to stay and there is nothing anybody can do about it.

Quote Originally Posted by deepsouthaussie View Post
    1. The environment is everones responsibility to maintain. We all polute. Some more than others. But we can all do our bit. Recycling correctly is probably the biggest thing we can all do. And composting, another major that is achievable for 'common' householders. I agree that legislative bodies, local and national governments need to be spending more money and TIME at ground level solving the big issues within big industry polluters. Ive actually just enrolled to do an Environmental management certificate. Which Fonterra ( my employer) are very supportive of. So look out for more on this subject in the future.

2. F&G imo do a good job. The cost of licenses are generally very fair. But I do believe there should be greater flexibility around time frames for fishing licenses ie: a 1 week licence should be available at a fair price in comparison to a 52 week license. And $20 odd dollars for one day is probably to much. In regards to policing ive never been confronted so I cant comment.

Woah that's a long comment sorry. Haha

NZ 100% PURE. please... what a joke...

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk
    Totally agree.
    I also believe and crucify me if you want, the earth cannot be destroyed by humans - it can and will chew us up and spit us out anytime. Its not like we are creating new elements or anything, simply changing their relationships with others. Sure this does effect life as we know it but who are we anyway in the big scheme of things.