Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree11Likes
  • 10 Post By Younghunter123
  • 1 Post By Tahr

Thread: Gear dump

Gear dump

Thought I’d start the thread after Ryan’s suggestion so people can get an idea of what others use and hope it can help with ideas in building your own kit to suit yourself .

Canterbury based mainly tops hunting for me

Current Sleep system
    Sleeping mat
    Big agnes air core ultra insulated long,wide r value 4.5 weight 765g ( had a sea to summit ultralight and a either light xt ) both surfaces degrade and continued to create holes so decided to change brand

Sleeping bags
    wear on earth winter bag with water proof top baffles and hood and also foot box (for condensation if touching tent ) weight I think is around 1.6 kg extremely warm and puffy bag
    Also a marmot sawtooth around 9 years old starting to lose its loft after a lot of use 1.6kg .will look to get a lighter weight bag for warmer months once it gives up.

Sea to summit aeros ultralight pillow.

Tents
    Intents outdoors raider xl1 1.6kg very roomy for a 1 man text and handles win really well and plenty of room for gear under vestibules.
    Have just purchased a Kuiu storm star for a 2 man tent after my hopper 2 was destroyed by keas ,both 2.5kg will likely shift the raider xl1 on and run the Kuiu as a fly ground sheet Combo when in the warmer months
    Winter camping I have a luxe octopeak tipi (2kg) and a Wild West titanium stove (2kg)
    big trips where I share a tent usually also take a stornycreek stealth fly for extra shelter and cooking .

Headlight
    led lenser mh10 about 6 years old still going strong gets daily use for work in winter

Boots - Crispi Nevada legends 1.72kg

Cooking
    Jet boil zip 340g I use the plastic cup /cover on the bottom of it to save carrying a cup
    Sea to summit titanium spoon

Power for charging phones and accessories cygnet 20000mah power bank and cords

Optics and accessories
    Spotter-delta titanium 15-45x65 weight 1.35kg with phone skope attachment
    Tripod -AOKA CMP163CL weight 578g
    Binoculars-Nikon monarch hg 10x42 weight 680g
    Rangefinder-delta rf2000 weight 200g
    Bino harness -marsupial gear enclosed 390gram plus range rider pick and large case .
    ( used to run bushbuck which I really liked the layout but found it really bulky and the straps wouldn’t tighten enough)

Knife outdoor edge razor lite with replacement blades or just a victronox boning knife

Radios-Gme 2 watt tx677

Gear is usually stored in dry bags to stay organised and find it easier to sift through and find things when they’re in the same coloured bag every trip .

Won’t go to into food in to much detail but usually for a day porridge/ dehy and coffee for breakfast
    Lunch dehy
    Snacks bumper bars, cheese and crackers,beir sticks ,sweets
    Dinner dehy
    Always have plenty of spare hot drinks for through out the day
    Water bladder camel back 2l with thortz electrolytes ( also have a 3 litre hydrapak when carrying extra water )
    I like to mix brands and flavours of dehy stops you getting sick of one thing or another.
    I pack all my food into full day of rations in a glad bag and leave it in the top of my pack saves going through the lot .

Pack 90liter Tatonka
    Not lightweight at all but you can’t deny they can take an almighty thrashing

First aid kit
    Bandage ,plasters ,betadine ,painkillers .clotting agent . Spare lighter and fire starter , survival blanket , paw paw cream .bushman’s height deet cream (I hate sand flies)antihistamines

Radom bits
    Black rubbish Bag for meat and sitting on if wet
    Cord and zip ties electric tape for barrel
    Black diamond clip look Walking stick handy for resting your Binos on when glassing

Clothing
    I run shorts and leggings mostly as I find it alot less restrictive. Shorts 5$ Kmart sports ones yet to actually rip a pair as they are stretchy and ultra comfortable leggings hunters element core+ ( the only bit of kit I have left of theirs and I can honestly say they’ve been great) they do get a bit hot in summer but if I’m not scrub bashing I’ll just wear shorts .
    Pants in winter Kuiu attack
    Base layer top Kuiu pelleton 118 tee
    Mid Kuiu peloton 200 hoodie and a pro merino hoodie
    Rain Chugach tr rain jacket and pants
    I also take an extra pair of merino leggings and long sleep top and socks that I only wear to bed reassuring knowing you’ve always got something warm and dry you can get into.
    Wear on earth puffer jacket
    Kuiu Northstar gloves and merino gloves ,merino neck gaiter
    Socks-norswear ranger or merino

I think that’s pretty much it probably forgot somethings but I’d be more than adequately supplied for a hunt !
    Tahr, HUNTY, tikka and 7 others like this.

Good stuff. Always good to see what others carry/don't carry.

Can't wait for the ex-NZFS etc. gentlefolk to post here though!

Modern hunting's access to clothing and equipment is both a blessing and a curse.
    bunji likes this.

Is the phonescope adaptor universal? I've been looking for one for my delta spotter aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by yeah_na_missed View Post
    Good stuff. Always good to see what others carry/don't carry.

Can't wait for the ex-NZFS etc. gentlefolk to post here though!

Modern hunting's access to clothing and equipment is both a blessing and a curse.
    Exactly
    I thought I had stumbled into the Vogue website.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi