Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree70Likes
  • 30 Post By F Majeur
  • 6 Post By Moa Hunter
  • 6 Post By Feral
  • 4 Post By jim160
  • 10 Post By Padox
  • 6 Post By kidmac42
  • 5 Post By ghosts
  • 2 Post By bumblefoot

Thread: Go Ahead, Give It Away!

Go Ahead, Give It Away!

Shot a nice bush stag a few weeks back and had it made into about 25 salamis. Having a great time giving them away to friends and work mates, even some minor acquaintances. I like the idea of the animal being consumed by 80 or 100 different people, it makes me feel better about taking its life, and at the same time affords an opportunity to present hunters/hunting in a positive light.

Without ever getting preachy, if asked, I try to emphasize that the animal lived free in the wild, and was taken with a single shot, and that hunters strive to achieve an instant, painless death.

So an important wild resource is enjoyed by people who might not otherwise get the opportunity, hunting/hunters getting some good PR, and best of all, my freezer is low so I get to hunt more.
    Trout, rupert, tikka and 27 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by F Majeur View Post
    Shot a nice bush stag a few weeks back and had it made into about 25 salamis. Having a great time giving them away to friends and work mates, even some minor acquaintances. I like the idea of the animal being consumed by 80 or 100 different people, it makes me feel better about taking its life, and at the same time affords an opportunity to present hunters/hunting in a positive light.

Without ever getting preachy, if asked, I try to emphasize that the animal lived free in the wild, and was taken with a single shot, and that hunters strive to achieve an instant, painless death.

So an important wild resource is enjoyed by people who might not otherwise get the opportunity, hunting/hunters getting some good PR, and best of all, my freezer is low so I get to hunt more.
    Top man

Banned
    I am not really religious but I think giving away meat can be likened to 'Tithing' but to the hunting gods and not to a church.
    Perhaps we should all give away a percentage of our kills, say 10% as a matter of course ?

I know what you mean about feeling better about taking the animal. Last week I gave venison to a couple who have adopted three kids under six, just as an appreciation for what they are doing. They are not needy, but to me very deserved of appreciation and I feel good inside for showing my admiration of them.

I also find it very satisfying giving away some of my goods. Family first, but also friends. Forestry manager who let's me hunt is a single mum who doesn't hunt or fish so she got a cray, goat (backstrap for curry, not shit) and fallow steaks. Uncle and aunty on wife's side are mentally impaired but living with support so we vacpac mince for them. Did up a bunch of sausages for nephews. Indian guy at work gets goat for currying.

It's also a good "kindness" thing (bleurgh) for showing that hunters are not the domestic terry-wrists that media, Labour and Greens would have the public believe.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

I give all of the animal away aside from a few feeds for me.
    I'm the only one that eats it so its wasted if I keep it. Years ago I threw out about 40+kg cause it got freezer burn and went off.

So I now give it away so it doesn't go to waste.

Plus it helps people out which is the best part about it.

Naracoorte South Australia/From South Canterbury
    Geez look at you big softies

I gave away the last 2 I shot. 1 to a family and the other to my boss who will send some lamb back my way. A change in family circumstances means I don't go through it as fast as I did.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Name:  IMG_20201011_212131.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  3.37 MBanother pack packed up and ready to give to someone that needs it more than I do
    Tahr, Trout, GSP HUNTER and 7 others like this.

I pass most of the venison I shoot onto others. But these days I'm rather more selective as to who it goes to as I've had people pretty much demand it from me ( with nothing in return at all I might add). If I offer it to anyone, I expect nothing but a polite thankyou. Generally it goes to the elderly neighbor, or young family, and other general gc's round town that I know will appreciate my cost and efforts.
    rugerman, mikee, 308 and 3 others like this.
    Ya can't park there mate.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Hats off fellahs. Well done.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

The last whitetail I shot. The majority went to the neighbours. Two lots of parents brought there little darlings up to watch the skinning and breaking down of the carcus. Many little fingers poking etc. Nearly a small war on who got the tail.
    Felt good to teach in a positive way and show how the meat gets to the table.
    Beaker, Cyclops, kidmac42 and 2 others like this.

A few months back I took 3 nice fallow (the first time I've been able to deer hunt for about 6-years) and gave most of it away to friends who had helped me out over those years while I was caring for my ill parents. It was extremely satisfying to thank them in that way.
    Tahr and tiroahunta like this.