Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree204Likes

Thread: Going ‘old school’

Last sika was shot with 16inch 30-30 with 1.5-5 on it, still has no problems at 110y dropping it on the spot, nice to carry around in the tight stuff to.
    xtightg likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    303 with open sights if you want "real" old school
    My goal this spring/summer is to get a Sika with my original M38 Swede (1943 Husky).

Name:  IMG_2445.JPG
Views: 449
Size:  4.10 MB

Might even wear a swannie and some stubbies to match the look.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Auckland, until I can escape south....to Southland.
    Don’t forget your Bullers too.
    dogmatix likes this.
    He nui to ngaromanga, he iti to putanga.

You depart with mighty boasts, but you come back having done little.
    Sounds like a typical hunting trip !

Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    What I find odd with these threads is the trying to put people into groups thing. Bush, long range, bow, pig hunting with dogs or what ever form of hunting are not mutually exclusive. Iv been hunting one way or another for for over 40 years. My closest shot was point blank my longest 750yds. I prefer wood blued rifle s and I still have my original open sighted 303 along with a range of other toys including a 338 Norma improved in a synthetic stock. The only animal iv shot and not recovered was at 20 ish yds in the bush. None of it is as easy as "the other side" thinks it is to do it well, I find it all a lot of fun and very much enjoy the variety.
    Totally understand your point! This was never supposed to be a ‘I hunt the bush, so I’m more skilled than you’. One of the great things about the sport is what you can learn from it. The biggest things I’ve learned in this game lately are all about me. I’ve realised that I get into long range as a method to increase success, but what I should have been doing was just getting out there in the bush and getting my hands dirty. It was hard to admit, but I was daunted by bush hunting and had a couple of scares in the deep dark bush when I first started. I’ve made a conscious decision to embrace that trepidation and focus on mastering that aspect of the hunting game. It’s less about the results now, and all about the process.
    Phil_H likes this.

and for me its the other way around...Im A BUSH HOBBIT at heart..the thick crappy lawyer infested crap just "feels like home" ....but in last 5 years Ive relearnt how to shoot straight,stop flinching and have now shot a few deer at 300-350 yards with relative ease..... who needs to be pigeon holed ??? not me.

Quote Originally Posted by ROKTOY View Post
    Oh deer, sorry to steel your moment, but I think your joke was tahr off target. Your juvenile action only magnified the scope of your action which was sighted on pelting members with short range humour.
    Do you think you are performing to a crowd of nannies? bad jokes will bite you on the 'hind. Enough of the bull, exit stag right.
    "Juvenile?" "Off target"? "Bad jokes" you say? Sir, I was merely trying to inject some joy into your day.

But now you've crimped my enthusiasm and made me recoil into my shell, with those bitter words you must've plucked from the lexicon of hell.
    Moa Hunter and ROKTOY like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    "Juvenile?" "Off target"? "Bad jokes" you say? Sir, I was merely trying to inject some joy into your day.

But now you've crimped my enthusiasm and made me recoil into my shell, with those bitter words you must've plucked from the lexicon of hell.
    touche' young bush hobbit
    Frodo likes this.

Use qrw rings on the Kahles ,goes on the bolt gun when it starts getting dark.

My fun gun wears a 1-4x20 with a #4 reticale,
    I call it my fun gun as no one has great expectations other than seeing a dead animal at the other end.
    Full load or trail boss. No one expects sub MOA so no pressure shooting it. Just have fun and anything out to 250mtr is very dead.
    furthest deer so far 230mtr.
    To be far I'm sort of thinking of moving to a scope with a 6 or 8 power top end.

Unlike my custom 243 with a 4-16x scope that should be 1/2moa or better but I can't shoot often enough to get good enough to do it that sort of justice.
    Z

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Perhaps I was being a little too gong-ho.
    does anybody remember the Gong Show

This is a great thread and it is great to see so man people using so many methods and various tools. Bottom line is that you enjoy what you do ay.

Quote Originally Posted by inozz View Post
    does anybody remember the Gong Show
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMzi7tfXvSM

Lol. That was before my time. You had some strange as f*ck television back then.

But staying on topic - I agree that every method of taking game has its own benefits, and keeping things varied is a good way of developing fresh insight. It's not so much to do with the 'what', but rather the 'how'. Where bush hunting may polish a hunter's instincts and reflexes, longer range shooting may allow you to spend more time observing undisturbed animal's movements. If you were to then pair the knowledge you gained from both methods - wouldn't that make you a more well-rounded hunter?

There are some very talented hunters out there who cut their teeth bush stalking, learning the fundamentals etc, and later progressed onto longer range shooting/hunting. Yes, the distance at which the game is taken may be exaggerated somewhat, but to shoot a trophy animal on public land (intentionally, rather than by luck) still commands knowledge of animal behaviour in addition to much time spent planning, and time on the range. Is it easier to shoot a monster stag you've been following and studying for years at 800 yards v.s stalking in on a hind in the bush with an open sighted rifle? It's apples and oranges.

I think if someone is hungry to challenge themselves and derive as much as they can from every minute spent in the field, no matter their choice of tool(s), they'll come out having grown as an individual/hunter.

That said - I think there's a lot of merit in keeping things simple. Isn't that the primary motivation for most of us when we head out into the wilds? To get away from all the modern conveniences that imprison us on a near daily basis? Complicating things in the field should be well reasoned (i.e you want to shoot at longer distances), and not be spurred by the expectation that it'll lead to more success...as the gear manufacturers would like us to believe.
    Last edited by Frodo; 19-08-2019 at 11:05 AM.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Who's still got an old skool swanny hanging up? I found mine in the garage attic the other day, still in good nick. Might throw it on for a hunt this spring, along with me stubbies
    Moa Hunter likes this.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    Who's still got an old skool swanny hanging up? I found mine in the garage attic the other day, still in good nick. Might throw it on for a hunt this spring, along with me stubbies
    Not me. My last one had too many bits cut off it for the call of nature.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Mathias likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

I've got a set of 7x57R barrels on order for my double rifle, I can't get interested in long distance, and dialling, even thought I have rifles capable, and shoot out to 500 m regularly, at the range,
    Plenty off deer in the North Island areas I hunt, quite enjoy the very Basic boots, knife, rifle, (7x57or 30-30) and swani, type hunting, I grew up with, threw the early 80's, lot more deer about now, enjoy the up close and personal, espically hunting Sika.
    Micky Duck likes this.