Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree204Likes

Thread: Going ‘old school’

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_H View Post
    On that note, when I go to sit out on the edge of the paddock tomorrow night I shall just tell the loved one that I am off up the hill to attempt ‘harvesting a deer’.

Cheers
    Phil
    Gets a bit cumbersome, maybe we should just use acronyms. Your paddock trip could be Late evening Grass Saving or LEGS . Or Procuring Transient Succulent Deer PTSD.
    If it went beyond the hours of daylight it would be After Dark Hunting of Deer or ADHD
    Tahr, Tuidog, tetawa and 3 others like this.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

A bit of PMS, Potential Meat Sourcing
    sneeze likes this.

@R93 goes Lamping Goats Boars Thar and Quail.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    @R93 goes Lamping Goats Boars Thar and Quail.
    Eh?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

I wish I was able to focus on open sights! They just don't make barrels long enough anymore.

Banned
    Lets put it this way. Some of us have nextcorneritis. Some of us have 5moreminuteitis or Icanstillseeitis or anyminutenowitis. Some have both. These conditions effect fishing as well. can sit with a rod and a worm but occasionally my nextcorneritis will overwhelm my anyminutenowitis.

A rifle with open sight triggers my nextcorneritis but never my anyminutenowitis.

I would one day like to do a project on one of these.
    lee speed-or at least a rifle based on the old long tom 303 without the charger bridge and the safety on the bolt
    Don't reckon I'd go so far as a calibre change or fancy stock. Just stick with a 303 and just refinish the stock enough that I didn't cry if I garked it up.
    Its a kiwi that did it too. Some form of peep sight on it if only to get rid of the rear sights on the barrel. Mind you the peep is probably better anyway.
    I sort of like the bolt mounted ones.

Forums.NitroExpress.com

Name:  speed.png
Views: 347
Size:  125.3 KB

So here I go. Committed to the course of action, my long range rifle is gone, replaced with a Remy 700 Stainless ADL in .308.
    Really looking forward to just cruising the bush this spring, and just keeping it simple.

Only question is what scope to put on it.. I think either a VX3i 1.5-5 or 2.5-8. The 1.5 would match the one on my .223 nicely....

yip the 1.5-5 perfect.
    Dama dama likes this.

Banned
    Loving old school, rangefinder in the top pocket and that is it. I have a few fun rifles that I know right where they are out to 350m with nothing but hold over. I'm pf the opinion for actually shooting shit, knowing the rifle well to 350m is probably superior to something more technical.
    Steve123 likes this.

350 m with open sights is very very good ol school....great in fact

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    Loving old school, rangefinder in the top pocket and that is it. I have a few fun rifles that I know right where they are out to 350m with nothing but hold over. I'm pf the opinion for actually shooting shit, knowing the rifle well to 350m is probably superior to something more technical.
    I assume your talking basic scopes rather than open sights?

Quote Originally Posted by doinit View Post
    350 m with open sights is very very good ol school....great in fact
    I suspect that we have been sucked in by scope manufacturers to thinking that "older" eyes can't shoot open sights - when in fact its largely a matter of knowledge and technique.

We had an "ANZAC" shoot recently with Lee Enfields. I shot open sights, some had aperture sights - but all original issue sights.

I happened to win it by one measly point, thus surprising myself mightily as I very seldom shoot open sights. However the guy I just beat and myself between us would have consistently hit the vital zone of a deer from 4 out of 5 shots standing at 100M, the same sitting at 200M and 3 or 4 out of 5 prone (no slings) at 300M - and both of us much closer to 60 years old than 50 . . . .

Obviously low light and other factors might have changed the results quite a bit but I reckon it goes to show how "old school" can still bring home the bacon!

Those wee 1-5x20mm objective scopes really make a rifle point nicely. So saying that I use a 3-9x33 on my stubby 308. It sits on 3x for bush hunting but I can crank it up to 9x for cross gully shots etc. I am sorted for 10 to 300m. I get a way bigger buzz out of close shots in the bush but that is just me. I don't use any of the powers in between on my scope. I could just have a 3 and 9x scope. Ha ha. I will admit that as I age, my eyes aren't as crisp as they used to be and a bit of magnification for steady shots certainly helps.
    Ground Control and Micky Duck like this.

Banned
    OPs first post in this thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter_Nick View Post
    Who out there is turning their back on the current trend of long range hunting and deliberately setting up for short?

I recently bought a new Leupold VX3i 1.5-5x20 for my little Model 7, and I bought the only one in stock in the whole country. All it seems you can buy these days is a 6x Xoom variable with turrets illumination etc. All we see in the magazines is adverts and articles about gear for taking your animals at longer and longer ranges.
    Don’t get me wrong I’m not having a go at those that are into it, as it’s an interesting and enterprising part of the sport. I’ve just found it’s not for me anymore. My long range rifle is on the way out, to be replaced with a walnut and blued ‘classic’. Maybe something in 7x57.....

Anyone else been there done that?

The open sights thread

But I actually do have two open sights rifles involved. A TOZ 17 that I just got and is getting its superb rear elevation sight calibrated. A 45-70 with Skinner peep sight fitted, which I will try to stretch to 300m for a laugh. Needs tested to 250m.