Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: GPS?

Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    So, how well do the modern GPS's work under canopy forest?
    Very well, even my etrex h has never lost signal even in fland.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

mine is an etrex ledgend hcx $350 with the maps. never looses signal.I always take the compass too... after all they can break down like any other electrical device.
    on the weekend just gone my trac log shows me walking in a big arc on my kaimai walk almost back to where i started... could of sworn i was talking a reasonably straight routewould have been an intresting time without gps or compass
    Dougie likes this.
    Hey diddle diddle, aim for the middle.

Since you're on a budget, the eTrex10 is hard to go past. Make sure you get the H version, high sensitivity. They have a lot better reception than the earlier models. It's all I've ever used, other than a map and compass. As others have said, NEVER rely on your GPS, it's a back up only. Mark your car/hut/camp first thing, then turn it off and don't use it again unless you want to mark a good spot or get lost. It's not as fancy as the ones with maps, and only gives you a straight line back to base, but what more do you need?
    outinabout likes this.

A map is pretty important, but you may as we'll throw the compass in the local tip. A gps is way way beta than any compass, just carry spare batteries with you. Compass is old school and I think it has had its day. There is better technology now and it is worth using. That's my opinion anyway.
    Toby likes this.

Compass doesn't need batteries, works in rain, shine, baking deserts, frigid arctic etc. Might be old technology but the fact that's it's still being used by armies and navies around the world to this day speaks for itself.

If you know how to use one they are very accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by sakokid View Post
    A map is pretty important, but you may as we'll throw the compass in the local tip. A gps is way way beta than any compass, just carry spare batteries with you. Compass is old school and I think it has had its day. There is better technology now and it is worth using. That's my opinion anyway.
    May as well toss the map as well, just take the laptop and a couple of car batteries to power it up and have google earth at your fingertips
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

A compass is old school and outdated? You'd completely rely on a GPS? Remind me to never follow you Into the bush. What happens if your GPS gets water damaged or has a software malfunction? I'd never be without my compass.

Hip chain cotton dispenser would be the way to go...be like a fucken great spiders web with every man and his dog using them though.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

I have a good compass and a back up compass and a gps and spare batteries.
    Hardly ever use any of them but carry all of them, seem to have pretty good inbuilt compass.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    Uplandstalker likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

My 62s has never lost signal in the bush. It even managed to stay locked onto a track for almost 3 days while in the back of my van underneath all sorts of crap. Hardly drained the Lithium batteries either. I was impressed
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Ive had a wee etrex 20 for the last 18 months (200buks + maps from H&F 120 buks ) .
    Its supposed too track Russian sattalites too or something like that , and ive noticed when boat testing it seems alot quicker too keep up than the extrex 10 .
    No real issues in the bush , but when your close too where you want too be (say 50mtrs ) you can walk faster than it can keep up and can get abit frustraiting .
    A couple of times Ive got 100yards ahead of it but it doesn't happen often.
    Like previous guys have said , best use it as a map and one of your compasses for direction .
    Scouser likes this.

A compass after fire and the wheel is the best invention man has EVER MADE, full stop

should be the First skill you ever learn tramping, treking, hunting....

will NEVER be replaced EVER, I even use one underwater when scuba diving.......my 2c
    ebf likes this.
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Lost For Time
    Quote Originally Posted by SiB View Post
    I went for the rhino and uploaded map onto it. Whilst the radio side doesn't get used, I like the 'just in case' option. Yes range limitations of the radio acknowledged. The best thing about a gps is being able to go somewhere new and feel a lot more confident about knowing which way the truck is when you come out somewhere different! And it's a great way to note where you've spotted animals etc for future hunts
    Map and compass I used first, Still carry them with me now.
    When time came I got the Garmin Rino too, Best buy for money I thought, Was $399 at H&F then got a mates map.
    Found one spot in kaimais where my gps looses signal, I borrowed a mates gps went back to same spot and yep his lost signal too.
    Don't always rely on a gps, Before you leave a main track take a bearing so in case your gps fails you no which way to head back via compass.
    Pengy and Scouser like this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt !

As others have stated, you should never go bush without your compass and map (helps if you know how to use them). In saying that I find myself relying on my gps 100% these days and it stays turned on the whole time while hunting. Its great to be able to plug it into computer at home and check out your tracks etc and plan your next hunt. Print A4 maps off relevant to your hunting area. Can overlay tracks and waypoints on google earth too. Buy the best Garmin you can afford.
    Scouser likes this.

Try plugging your compass into your PC.....

Oh that's right you can't !!