Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: GPS?

When walking to your next point (particularly applicable to open ground) don't just walk to that point. Line two points up in the distance and maintain the parallax between them and you will walk straighter. If you walk to a point and look back you will tend to find you've walked in an arc because of your bias. This probably has less relevance when hunting/tramping because you tend to be on uneven ground and following streams and ridges when not in stalking mode.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Something to be aware of if using older or possibly budget model GPS units is that they will not give you a reliable bearing on their compass unless you are actually moving. Garmin 60csx is a classic example of this.
    Newer models such as 62s etc have triple or quad helix compass so can be relied on even standing still. So long as you remember to re calibrate the compass after renewing batteries
    nevereadyfreddy likes this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

There are a couple of spot in NZ that cause a few issues for people:
    -The Tararua Tops when clagged in - people drop down the wrong spur and end up in the shitty monkey srucb
    -The flat land and gentle rolling hills - like the western side of Lake Taupo, Waihaha to Bog Inn areas - but isn't that bad.

I think @R93 hit the nail on the head, NZ is pretty good to navigate in.

When people get lost, they are never to far from a safe out. This comes back to the "Clam Down" thing and getting ones head to think logically again.
    nevereadyfreddy likes this.

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by sakokid View Post
    A map is pretty important, but you may as we'll throw the compass in the local tip. A gps is way way beta than any compass, just carry spare batteries with you. Compass is old school and I think it has had its day. There is better technology now and it is worth using. That's my opinion anyway.
    For real ?

Without a compass you can pretty much use your map for toilet paper...
    gadgetman, Pengy and Aly like this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

R93
    Map to ground ebf, map to ground.
    Rather have a map than a compass if i had to choose, personally.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post

Samsies, because there are other ways of finding north than just with a needle.

But hey, I don't need to choose, so I can take all of the above! (Map, compass and GPS)
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    R93, in my personal experience, GPS navigation just makes you lazy.

Maybe just me , but I've found that I am a lot more spatially aware when working only with map and compass. I tend to check position and bearing a lot more often with map than when working with GPS waypoints.

On several occasions I've made direction turn errors when looking at small map on GPS screen...
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

R93
    I use a GPS just to confirm position and heading and mark wallows and other points of interest.

I never carry a compass as I don't need it.
    That's just me. I can navigate competently enough with the basics so I am entitled to be lazy I reckon

Toby and Uplandstalker like this.

Aly
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    I did a little thing where you walk blindfolded for 100m on flat and see how far off straight you go, it can tell you what your bias is (I've conducted this test again with a day pack on and overnighter pack on too, the bias changes with weight for me anyway)

This can help you to consciously go around trees the opposite way to your bias to hopefully keep you straight.

Always great to "aim off" - @Aly girl do you have a Bushcraft Manual? If not, I'll post you my one. Man this sucks you are here this weekend when I am away, go figure but we'll catch up soon enough.

I was donated an older eTrex which is cool to get the hang of and I do take it with me but need to get to clear, high land for any signal so can mean a little extra walking

Uhhhhhhhhhhh what else was I gonna say...

Oh Gadget reminded me, if can be a fun game to try to guess stuff before you check it. So really work hard to figure out where you are on your map, then check with GPS. Also think about where north is, then check with compass. Estimate time, then check your watch. Distances are another great one to estimate then check, as well as the time it will take you to cover ground.

Ah, isn't hunting fun
    Nope to my knowledge I don't have a Bushcraft Manual! Just a few old-as survival books haha. And I'm betting there'll be loads of opportunities for us to get out sometime, if you come down to Nelly again we could all have an NZHS meet up here

@Aly pm me your address, I'll post you a bushcraft manual
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

As we are all giving our personal opinions and methods, and probably wont be changing them (i wont) lets all agree to disagree....i take all three, topo map (of my intended hunting area) compass and my GPS....

I have been doing this since i started hunting (only the last 18 months) as i never ventured far from the DOC track in the bush.....

but now i bush hunt, i have found the GPS invaluable, as i get back to camp faster and before it gets (too) dark.....but if it malfunctions, i lose it, runs out of batteries, dropped and breaks...

i have my trusty 'magnetic needle & scrawly piece of paper on me to get back (security blanket, arrrr).....learn how to use a map & compass, it can save you so much hassle & stress...it has for me on many occasions
    gadgetman, nevereadyfreddy and Aly like this.
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Aly
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouser View Post
    As we are all giving our personal opinions and methods, and probably wont be changing them (i wont) lets all agree to disagree....i take all three, topo map (of my intended hunting area) compass and my GPS....

I have been doing this since i started hunting (only the last 18 months) as i never ventured far from the DOC track in the bush.....

but now i bush hunt, i have found the GPS invaluable, as i get back to camp faster and before it gets (too) dark.....but if it malfunctions, i lose it, runs out of batteries, dropped and breaks...

i have my trusty 'magnetic needle & scrawly piece of paper on me to get back (security blanket, arrrr).....learn how to use a map & compass, it can save you so much hassle & stress...it has for me on many occasions
    I'm a fan of topo map and compass as well because it does encourage you to really take great observation in your surroundings and translate that into map form
    gadgetman, ebf, Pengy and 1 others like this.

All good points people no one is wrong here. It's just wot you prefer. I prefer a gps a powerful tool when u know how to use it correctly.
    Scouser and nevereadyfreddy like this.

TJM
    I would like to say i'm a great navigator in the bush but i'm not !!! When i was using my own sense of direction with a compass for a back up and doing it often I wasn't too bad at finding my way back to a point. When I came back from overseas after 7 years it had all changed. Went back to my old spots , the trees had grown, clearings had disappeared, grown over with pepper wood, bring in some low cloud and fog and i was getting uncomfortable by myself. In between I'd bought a 62s and gradually learnt to trust it. Now its opened up a new world especially for quick day hunts where I need to get back home that night.When I'd learnt to fly helicopters GPS weren't supposed to be used as a primary navigation device but now they are so accurate and reliable, I'm sure you wouldn't use a compass any more. Have the good old compass in your bum bag but get a good gps and learn to trust it,, they are soo good now.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by TJM View Post
    I would like to say i'm a great navigator in the bush but i'm not !!! When i was using my own sense of direction with a compass for a back up and doing it often I wasn't too bad at finding my way back to a point. When I came back from overseas after 7 years it had all changed. Went back to my old spots , the trees had grown, clearings had disappeared, grown over with pepper wood, bring in some low cloud and fog and i was getting uncomfortable by myself. In between I'd bought a 62s and gradually learnt to trust it. Now its opened up a new world especially for quick day hunts where I need to get back home that night.When I'd learnt to fly helicopters GPS weren't supposed to be used as a primary navigation device but now they are so accurate and reliable, I'm sure you wouldn't use a compass any more. Have the good old compass in your bum bag but get a good gps and learn to trust it,, they are soo good now.
    Still get compass turns in a 135 Regs check.
    They are worse than constant rate turns.