Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Gutting in the field

Quote Originally Posted by Snap 4T View Post
    Ok, another silly question

If I am not keen on digging and prefer to leave the gut out in the open (out of sight and away from waterway)
    Is it a good idea to put rat poison around the gut or carcass
    to keep rodent populations under control.

I am trying to keep the birds happy or will the rat poison backfire on the birds?
    Sorry, it's a silly question, I know.
    Fair question actually as it stems from wanting to do the right thing.

In practice the rats will find the brodi, gutbag or no gutbag. So throwing it around the gut bag won’t really achieve anything other than a few unintended problems. Even if it is in a bait station, rats love to sort through it by throwing the pellets they don’t want, on the ground.
    Snap 4T likes this.

Interesting responses.

I’ve hunted both public land and my private land permissions with members on here, and had to laugh when they get the shits cos the pigs start circling before we’ve even boned the bloody deer out! No, that’s not a fib.

I shot a red spiker to waste one morning on the way up the hill, about 7 a.m. Came back about 8 hrs later and all that was left of said spiker was a stain in the pasture. Gone…. Munch munch.

So yeah, the pigs in our area clean up good and proper. Remarkable creatures really. Guts last a few hours most days. If the wind is blowing the wrong way then it might get a bit ripe, but you’ll come back in a few days and no trace to be seen.
    Snap 4T likes this.
    Just...say...the...word

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    Interesting responses.

I’ve hunted both public land and my private land permissions with members on here, and had to laugh when they get the shits cos the pigs start circling before we’ve even boned the bloody deer out! No, that’s not a fib.

I shot a red spiker to waste one morning on the way up the hill, about 7 a.m. Came back about 8 hrs later and all that was left of said spiker was a stain in the pasture. Gone…. Munch munch.

So yeah, the pigs in our area clean up good and proper. Remarkable creatures really. Guts last a few hours most days. If the wind is blowing the wrong way then it might get a bit ripe, but you’ll come back in a few days and no trace to be seen.
    The pigs there must be starving, the offal dumps on farms I attend the pigs don't normally arrive until the offal is well matured.
    Snap 4T likes this.

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by tetawa View Post
    The pigs there must be starving, the offal dumps on farms I attend the pigs don't normally arrive until the offal is well matured.
    Or they are just used to it as an available part of their diet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A bit like bears coming into the sound of a shot, knowing the dinner bell has rung.

Might be a tough place to do a knee falling down the hill after shooting a redskin....... where did Flyblown go?
    Flyblown and XR500 like this.

....and using your rifle to signal for help!

"Yeah! I can hear someone coming...... Oh no, its you bastards, and I've only got 3 in the mag left"

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    Interesting responses.

My brother and I took a couple of mates into one of our spots in October last year. We shot two deer on a clearing just on last light. Decided to quickly set up the tarps while we still had light and then walk the 200m or so to gut the deer. Can’t have been more than 20mins all up, and as we get down onto the clearing there’s already 5 pigs going to town on one of the deer- they’d started by ripping open its throat and the gut bag. Had to chase em off. Thankfully the second deer was untouched by them.
    Flyblown likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Nolan View Post
    A bit like bears coming into the sound of a shot, knowing the dinner bell has rung.

Might be a tough place to do a knee falling down the hill after shooting a redskin....... where did Flyblown go?
    If someone asked a hypothetical question - where would be a good place to dispose of a body? - that forest would be a very good spot.

It's often been joked that if I were to kark it of a heart attack or suchlike whilst hunting alone up there, I'd probably get scoffed before they found my body.

Quote Originally Posted by tetawa View Post
    Starving is the one thing those pigs definitely are not.

There's a lot of them, but a constant supply of dead ungulates to eat. Depending on season, they'll either get into dumped livestock immediately, or if "on the berries" they'll wait a bit.
    Just...say...the...word