Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Dama dama
  • 2 Post By kiwigreen
  • 2 Post By Boaraxa

Thread: Hokonuis Access

Hokonuis Access

Went for a drive up dunsdale to find the forestry closed off for the winter. Is there any other alternate access into there? frustrating hunting in southland at times with a lot of doc land blocked off with private.

Yeah that is frustrating. I hunt in there a it too. I'll ring the forestry company next week and find out what is happening. Last time I was in I noticed that new gates had been installed. I'm not sure of an alternative unless you can cross private land.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

Yeah that is frustrating. I hunt in there a bit too. I'll ring the forestry company next week and find out what is happening. Last time I was in I noticed that new gates had been installed. I'm not sure of an alternative unless you can cross private land.

i read somewhere yesterday that all the dunsdale area is closed for logging. think it,s closed end of may until mid or end of september. said it would be for next 5 years. can,t remember where i read it but will try and find and post it here if i can. it did say for forest and conservation area even on weekends.

dunsdale

found it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Bugger. But plenty of other spots to go to. First on the ground in October will have a clean up!!!
    NO4 likes this.

Yeah I saw that when I got to the gate, pretty bullshit they can block off access to the whole forest. Southland has to have the most locked up public land in NZ, there needs to be a law allowing access to all public land. So many farms down here have deer/pig problems and have to get choppers in regularly, one place I've worked on recently has shot 500 in the last 6 months. We had a night shooting job in a foresty, shot 200 and still see the same amount of deer each time.
    inozz and NO4 like this.

Yea it’s shit , I heard about that last week and was surprised to learn that it’s not a public road to the reserve . the forest access is cut off for everyone , not just hunters .
    If Doc can make access arrangements for the blue mountains under the exact same circumstances surely they could do the same for the Hokies only decent access point , It would be worth chasing it up to see if the council has even consulted with Doc .
    kiwigreen and inozz like this.
    The Green party putting the CON in conservation since 2017