Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: How can I shoot more deer, and what's your hit rate?

Interesting thread. I did my first hunt at the weekend and did pretty much as tikka mentioned above. I didn't see any deer but saw plenty of sign. I found it really interesting following deer tracks through all sorts of terrain; gave me an idea of how they move. As mentioned earlier they tended to travel on spurs and generally take the easy routes just like us. I could see that they tended to stop in spots where they could see (and probably hear and smell) well. Also noted that they seem to be just as clumsy as me by the number of times I saw evidence of their feet slipping on mossy logs and rocks. Also could tell where the animal was when it got a whiff of us as it's scat was spread along a line and the footprints had more of a twist in them and some force behind them.

My pick is once I find where they are moving the next step is figuring out when they are there. Absolutely stocked with progress for the first outing.
    brodster likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Nice one, good to see your seeing the obvious signs, my favourite time to bush hunt is just after sunrise when Deer are still actively feeding, they tend to move a lot so get up above them on the hill, then sidle across and you can catch them feeding up towards you, they don't just run back to their bedding spots, they will feed and amble their way back. Look for the lush green guts and creek beds, especially where sunlight will get through. Its far easier to see further downhill in the bush, than it is trying to look up.
    brodster likes this.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Question: In regards to bino's, does anyone use then while in the bush? Aka Kaimais. Or do you chaps/chapet's only use them in places like the open tops?
    I read once when starting off that bino's are a must for any deer hunting, even in the thicker stuff because they slow you down, and forces you to look at the bush more up close and in more detail.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
    Question: In regards to bino's, does anyone use then while in the bush? Aka Kaimais. Or do you chaps/chapet's only use them in places like the open tops?
    I read once when starting off that bino's are a must for any deer hunting, even in the thicker stuff because they slow you down, and forces you to look at the bush more up close and in more detail.

Thoughts?
    Contrary to popular beliefs, the Kaimais' do have open country and is well worth the effort of carrying a set of binos'...I have been a fringe hunter of the Kaimais' and use binos' constantly...when hunting the thick shit up there I use an Aimpoint scope with no magnification as the shots can be real close and there is little need of binoculars.
    Sniper likes this.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

I only take binos if I'm hunting in areas where I know there may be open areas, like on the tops, ridges and spurs with open grass faces etc. I know the areas I hunt very well, so I know when, and when not to carry my binos on me. Its not something I must take with me on every hunt as some places there just not needed.
    veitnamcam and Sniper like this.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper View Post

Thoughts?
    Hi Sniper I take a small pair 10X25 with me always when hunting. They are light and easy tucked away under clothing when not being used.
    Sniper likes this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Binos can be very good in the bush, by changing the focus accordingly, they enable you to see through the gaps in the branches and see a lot more than is possible using just your eyes.
    brodster and Sniper like this.

I used a pair the other day that fit in the palm of your hand and we were glassing out to 1200 metres...absolute brilliant...$1000 though.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

I learned the closest thing to "bush hunting" we got by a brit. We most definitively used binos. Was amazing experience to watch deer (parts of)through the thick stuff 10-30m away from us whilst we were sneaking along on gametrails.

We hunted a very small area.
    Matt2308 and brodster like this.

Brodstar, your doing nothing really wrong, we/you just need to slow down and take it as it comes. Sounds like you have the basics right if your spooking them, now just reflect back on your mistakes and try and improve from there.

I've been hunting public land solidly from June last year and have only dropped 6 in that time (Sika & Fallow are two species I have ticked off). Sure that number would have doubled if I was quicker off the mark or had I been moving slower, but when you do get a deer it makes it that much more satisfying. One thing I've just learnt myself which I haven't paid much attention to is to stay away from ridges and sidle around basins/gullies moving very slowly. Its a basic hunting style, but not one that has been taught to me and it seemed to equate to more deer last week seen. I'm going to adopt this style next year and see how productive it is.
    brodster and Scouser like this.

I have found the more you are out the more you work out where they are the more you shoot the more you need a bigger freezer of group of venny loving friends

Good luck
    oneshot likes this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

the more venison you eat surely?