Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: How do I go about finding places to hunt?

Cool How do I go about finding places to hunt?

Ive only gone out hunting a few times. A couple of times I was with company who took care of me and took me to farmer's properties (both with abundant animals). One time I went on my own to a public reserve (and saw nothing there)

Apart from going door to door asking farmers if they have animals on their property, what is a good way to find new land to hunt on? And how would I know if that land is legal to hunt on?

Is public DOC land worth looking in? Because im thinking since it is so easy to find these places and go in, there might be fewer animals. I could be wrong though. If i am wrong, il just keep looking. If I am right, how else do I find land with animals?
    If door to door asking farmers if they have animals is the best way though, il try doing that.

I kinda just want to go out and nab a couple of bunny rabbits for meat at the moment.

I am also quite low on the fitness scale so i feel a bit embarrassed to hunt with someone else, as I am afraid I might slow them down. Does anyone here have a lower fitness level and want to hunt around Dunedin/Otago with me?

For bunnies just go door knocking. Best to go without your rifle initially, and come back another day if you find a willing farmer. It goes without saying to be polite and respectful
    Dougie and JessicaChen like this.

Go door knocking at farms, approach with a friendly attitude and a positive outlook. Ask if you can help to take care of their rabbit problem if they have one. If they say that they take care of it themselves, ask if you can tag along as you'd really like to improve your skills.
    Public land is always an option, anyone who says there aren't any animals in X location are usually wanting to keep it a secret.
    Ask around on here if there's anyone who is willing to show you the ropes.
    JessicaChen likes this.

Hey Jessica join your local branch of nzda, and make yourself known. I am sure u will find good people that will point you in the right direction. They often do monthly club hunts, to good areas with good results.
    Hunt4life and JessicaChen like this.

Get a copy of the book called "Spot X". It will be a great help.
    There are heaps of animals on DOC land right throughout the country.

As above, join NZDA.
    Dougie, kiwi39 and JessicaChen like this.

I meant to say the doc maps website shows public hunting areas. Maps.doc.govt.nz. You need to choose the relevant checkbox in the menu bar on the left.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sakokid View Post
    Hey Jessica join your local branch of nzda, and make yourself known. I am sure u will find good people that will point you in the right direction. They often do monthly club hunts, to good areas with good results.

This
    Dunedin branch run Hunts courses, I've been down in the Blue Mountains when they've had one going
    it would be great experience for you.
    JessicaChen likes this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Put your boots on and get walking there is plenty of animals on Public land, spend a bit of time on google earth as well, research and walking is all it takes.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

I offered you some properties to shoot around Dunedin last year and you never got back to me

Do all my hunting on public land. Always find plenty of sign and about 70-80% of the time, plenty of animals. If it was easy, it wouldn't be called "hunting".
    JessicaChen likes this.

Hey possum_shooter! I don't remember getting your message. Did I respond to them or did I miss them?

Last year was a bit chaotic for me and I probably lost track. Really sorry about that.

And thank you everyone for the really helpful advice. Il be really thoroughly looking through that DOC land, and knock on doors when I gain the courage.
    Last edited by JessicaChen; 13-01-2015 at 10:02 AM.

Hi Jessica, I replied to one of your posts in the small game section last year. No worries if you didn't see it, I still have a property that I could set you up on down near Portobello that I just don't get time to shoot. I haven't been down there for over a year but I work with the guy that owns so it's no problem with access.
    Before I let you loose on someone's property I would want to meet you first then take you out for a hunt to see if you are a safe and responsible shooter and you on doubt want to make sure I'm not some crazy nut job as well lol.
    I live and work in the north end of town so if you want to meet up at a café for a chat and arrange a shoot PM me.
    I have a property that I need to control some hares on this weekend, most likely Friday, so you can tag along with me if you want.
    I have access to most of the farms in NEV so maybe able to hook you up with land to shoot on close to the city at a later date.
    Cheers Steve

Quote Originally Posted by possum_shooter View Post
    Hi Jessica, I replied to one of your posts in the small game section last year. No worries if you didn't see it, I still have a property that I could set you up on down near Portobello that I just don't get time to shoot. I haven't been down there for over a year but I work with the guy that owns so it's no problem with access.
    Before I let you loose on someone's property I would want to meet you first then take you out for a hunt to see if you are a safe and responsible shooter and you on doubt want to make sure I'm not some crazy nut job as well lol.
    I live and work in the north end of town so if you want to meet up at a café for a chat and arrange a shoot PM me.
    I have a property that I need to control some hares on this weekend, most likely Friday, so you can tag along with me if you want.
    I have access to most of the farms in NEV so maybe able to hook you up with land to shoot on close to the city at a later date.
    Cheers Steve
    10 points to this man

This weeks 'good bugger' award goes to Possum Shooter.......nice one mate!!!!!.....vietnamcam can hand it over....he usually has it!!!!!!!
    BRADS, Gibo, Met4lboy and 1 others like this.
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Name:  forums.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  49.5 KB
    Scouser and Gibo like this.