Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree121Likes

Thread: hows this for a first gun?

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by possummatti View Post
    Cheers appreciate it
    No problem, pm me if you need to .
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

@possummatti If you want to try shooting a remington 700 I do not mind letting you squeeze off a few rounds from my rifle seeing you are in morrinsville and I am in Te Awamutu if you want to see if it is comfortable for you to shoot and if you don't mind firing a .270 ammo is not an issue as I have a batch of reloads I want to get fired off anyway as I have changed brass brands and bullets.
    jakewire, NZHTR, Scouser and 1 others like this.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Well @possummatti , I think thats a problem well sorted. Good luck man. See you in the bush (if I ever get some fecking time off).

Some top gentlemen on here, cool to see.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter308 View Post
    @possummatti If you want to try shooting a remington 700 I do not mind letting you squeeze off a few rounds from my rifle seeing you are in morrinsville and I am in Te Awamutu if you want to see if it is comfortable for you to shoot and if you don't mind firing a .270 ammo is not an issue as I have a batch of reloads I want to get fired off anyway as I have changed brass brands and bullets.
    Hey mate
    Cheers for the offer , real good of you. I believe i have brought a savage 110 .308 just waiting on a response so although i would love to wont be necessary but thanks anyway.
    gadgetman, mikee and GravelBen like this.
    If god didn't want us to eat animals he wouldn't have made them out of food.

No worries mate you have made a good choice in rifle and caliber, if you ever do want to have a crack on a 270 at any time for fun and just to see what the caliber is like to shoot I am only a pm away as I enjoy getting out to the range in Taupo to punch a bit of paper or out to a friends place for a catch up and to whack a gong or two even more fun

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

@Barefoot pm sent

Ejected
    Barefoots a good bastard and will look after you. Once you start shooting it remember to save all your brass.
    possummatti likes this.

Lost For Time
    Stay away from the remington 710 (the one listed on trademe) and the 770 as others have said they are crap for a few dollars more you can get a marlin X7 or howa 1500 failing that look for a good secondhand remington 700, ruger m77, marlin or howa. There is nothing wrong with owning a 270 if that is the caliber you want to go with.
    Nothing wrong with a 770, If your new to the sport, Have next to no money but want a cheap rifle for bush hunting, A Rem 770 will do the job. Even 2nd hand.
    Drag it through the shit, Drown it in a creek, Use it as a walking pole, Tough, Reliable, Accurate and will put deer on the ground just like any other rifle out there.

possummatti likes this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt !

Quote Originally Posted by BushHunter View Post
    Nothing wrong with a 770, If your new to the sport, Have next to no money but want a cheap rifle for bush hunting, A Rem 770 will do the job. Even 2nd hand.
    Drag it through the shit, Drown it in a creek, Use it as a walking pole, Tough, Reliable, Accurate and will put deer on the ground just like any other rifle out there.

I would recommend a mossberg ATR100 before I ever recommend a rem 770.

Quote Originally Posted by Nibblet View Post
    Barefoots a good bastard and will look after you. Once you start shooting it remember to save all your brass.
    Will do
    Yea he seems like a good genuine guy. Just waiting on a response.

Quote Originally Posted by BushHunter View Post

Yea mate i think ive found a good gun to start on. Have the money for a new or flasher gun but "apparently" guns arnt a priority for a uni student ( quote parents)

Ejected
    Better education often equals better job in this economy, which in turn equals more money which leads to more guns. So your parents are partially right,

Quote Originally Posted by Nibblet View Post
    Better education often equals better job in this economy, which in turn equals more money which leads to more guns. So your parents are partially right,
    Wasnt blaming them mate im a tight arse myself so wouldn't have spent more if i could.

Lost For Time
    I would recommend a mossberg ATR100 before I ever recommend a rem 770.
    I'd never recommend any rifle until I had shot/hunted with every single one made, But that will never happen. Same goes with calibre.
    As long as people think that 770's are shite and that there are no deer in the kaimais, I will be a happy happy man.

Just for the hell of it, After I could afford to pay for my shite brick 770, I then fitted a Allen sling and had barrel shortend to 18'', It's 7mm08 cal. And it does the job just fine.

Edit*

I'm no expert, Nor am I even close to being a hunters ass hole, But I try !
    Identify your target beyond all doubt !

I'm back, don't you just hate it when work gets in the way
    @possummatti you have a PM waiting
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement