Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

Like Tree1592Likes

Thread: How's the recon going for the roar?

I knocked a hind & fawn over this week mostly because 95% of the time the deer beat me in this spot so when I got my chance I took it felt a little bad for 5 minutes but shit happens fawn back straps look good! went out this evening saw 6 porkers 1 cat & 6 deer..all hinds closest was 20 meters took off when I tried to take a photo ..some more came out next gully over.I agree in principle with R93 shouldn't shoot promising stags or hinds this time of year but on another breath if everyone takes the feel good option of shooting young stags,spikers as opposed to a hind that may or may not have a fawn well really that's not good for a trophy hunter far better off shooting hinds especially when numbers are higher a good selection of stags is better than a good selection of hinds.
    Name:  IMG_2831.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  767.8 KB

R93
    I will shoot yearling hinds or stags and am happy to shoot hinds from late March thru the early winter months. I just haven't shot a mature hind for years.
    I also do not meat hunt areas where I know there is trophy potential.
    There are heaps of areas you could shoot a thousand stags and will never harm trophy potential. Especially on the west coast.
    But shooting a large body early spring stag with good bez tines and mass or a hind between late October and March for meat is just appalling to me.
    Unless you get the fawn as well.😆

I have only shot one mature red stag since 2007. He was wound up and wasn't afraid of me.
    I had no where to go. I shot him at 2m with one hand while trying to hide behind a flimsy bungi.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by R93; 02-02-2017 at 12:49 AM.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    I fail too see how anyone can justify intentionally shooting a potential trophy stag in soft velvet or a hind with fawn, this day and age for friggen household meat.

But fill your boots I would never say to anyone that they couldn't or shouldn't.
    Do what ya want. Ya will anyway.

But it is certainly telling where someone is as a hunter if they choose to do so.

Especially with animal numbers where they are at the moment.

Well. i fail to see why anyone has to justify to anyone else what they shoot. Shooting a 12 pointer in soft velvet for some people maybe as good a trophy as it would of been in hard antler. A trophy is in the eyes of the beholder. If a hunter still believes that soft velvet stag he just shot made his day, and hes got his trophy its not for anyone else to say that sucks , ..should of left it for me or someone else to shoot in hard antler
    All those spikers people shoot are potential trophy stags also are they not.
    The fact is some hunters hunt for the table and dont give a rats arse about antlers and if its a trophy or not. With 1080 , Waro , DOC cullers and other hunters knocking over potential trophy stags it is what it is.
    I know what you saying, but many hunters arent trophy hunters, couldnt care less and a velvet stag is prime eating and if food is one of the the prime reason you out there its far better to shoot one in prime nick rather than when its skinny, rank just for the timber on its head.
    With the price of meat these days i cant see how anyone can justify that but the fact is no hunter has to justify what they shoot, when they shoot it to anyone do they? Places like Fiordland are totally different, people go their for trophys, not to shoot meat animals and the effort and money spent in producing such trophys shooting young bulls and velvet trophy ones are a no no and thats fair enough.
    People that get up tight over someone shooting top velvet stags in DOC blocks have to ask themselves what gives them the right to tell others what they can shoot and what they cant.
    To me its each to their own, i do what i like and you can do what you like, its a free country.
    For the record i rather not shoot a trophy velvet stag and hope im the lucky one to shoot it later on or at least someone else gets the chance, thats all good but if im short of meat, or just feel like getting some prime venison im happy to take one if thats all thats on offer and thats my choice, not someones elses

Im hearing you on the stag front mate shot a stag 2 weeks ago (red) pretty close to where you got that cracker fallow last year...ripper head 12 pt & big wasn't hard seems pretty stupid to me rather shoot a hind
    fawn meat its almost vealish & so soft
    Name:  IMG_2819.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  650.5 KB
    Last edited by Boaraxa; 02-02-2017 at 01:02 AM.
    Pointer likes this.

R93
    I have an opinion and aired it.
    I am entitled to it.
    It won't change anything except maybe wind you up .243😆

I also have not told anyone what or what not to do. So please stop insinuating that I have.

I guess I am fortunate I hunt and associate with hunters of a similar mindset and do not have to suffer idiots unless I read a glossy hunting mag.

A meat hunter may not care about trophies and hinds with fragile young, fair enough. I just see a heap of flaws if said meat hunter knowingly tips them over for meat.

Last edited by R93; 02-02-2017 at 01:28 AM.

How did u get on when you were shooting from a helecopter r93?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    How did u get on when you were shooting from a helecopter r93?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Totally different issue and has nothing to do with my ethics on how I hunt for myself.
    But I will bite.

I have never taken a trophy stag as a shooter or pilot as long as I have been involved in waro.
    I only shot hinds with fawns at foot if I was sure I could get both.

I never hounded/hunted known trophy areas.

A number of stags I have left I have never seen again or they ended up being a glossy mag article.

Not all waro guys are blood thirsty, money hungry people.

We are hunters and conservationists as well. And we love and have as much right to the backcountry as anyone.

WhistlingWings, Gibo and madmaori like this.

All good R93. Everyone has a opinion . I know what you saying, and leaving such stags is a good thing but im just saying people get carried away about hard antler, some hunters it just doesnt matter and prime venison is why they hunt and they prime venison and its their choice if they take one or not. I have never shot a trophy stag in soft velvet,
    Most meat hunters have a heart, and dont shoot hinds when they have fawns, no one wants animals to suffer just like most hunters like a clean kill.. All very well saying you havnt told anyone what to shoot and what they can, but you clearly have a de grading opinion on hunters that shoot velvet stags and thats your opinion but what gives you the right to think less of a hunter on what makes the hunt for them and what they want to shoot?
    Many so called meat hunters could think the same about trophy hunters that dont worry about the meat on a rutting stag, such a waste for some timber but thats their opinion as well.
    Our area animals are in low numbers but in high animal number areas the best way to control numbers and to get a balance is to shoot hinds and in some of those animal rich areas more need to be shot for a healthy balance of the population

So how's the recon going guys
    madmaori and Sideshow like this.

I like fawns. Fawns are tasty. Better carrying too
    veitnamcam, Gibo, Boaraxa and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    Yeah, twins are the go, one in each pocket
    madmaori likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    Whitetail make for easy carrying as well as being rather tasty

I'm down there end of April 223nut, hope to find that out for myself
    Gibo likes this.

He guy I got last night was still in velvet, didn't look further other than he was a nice spiker for the freezer

Last night. He's still tormenting me. Windy, on dark, 600 yards. Fully stripped by the look of him.

https://youtu.be/e7WVNVdCBI0
    Blaser, samba and deer243 like this.