Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

Like Tree1592Likes

Thread: How's the recon going for the roar?

stags holding hinds starting to go through the motions now. just need the weather to do its bit and they will be in to it. one stag heard roaring mid week.

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    @Sideshow you wanted pics

Ignore time and date, was too lazy to reset it when I put the new batteries in
    Any more sightings of that bad boy 223nut?

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    Any more sightings of that bad boy 223nut?
    Yep, out of velvet.... Blurry shot of him at night, 4 pointer is yet to start stripping. Yet to see him in the flesh, haven't had the time lately, too busy showing other people around!!

I went out thismorning on the spot at first light wind was good id planned a bit of a hunt around some top,s scrub country heard a couple roaring but stuck to the plan I looked over on the face I was working towards & saw 7 hinds mobed up didn't see the stag but figured must be one there somewhere fog came in so 20 minutes latter I was closer & it had cleared animals had gone so I sat down on a tussock for a while then spotted a young stag maybe 6 or 8 point he was like a dog nose in the fern trying to follow where the hinds had walked I watched him for a while I did think of blooding the new rifle but thought better of it thinking there must be something better around if the tussocks hadn't been so wet I probably would have curled up & had a snooze but stags where roaring here n there so I kept watching I must have sat there a good hour then from no where there he was a monster he just immerged from the scrub huge black rack white points I never had time to count the points but I didn't have to his spread would have been a meter or more massive thick tops I grabbed that gun & wound it up to 18 power lined him up & all of a sudden I was feeling a little wobbly so I basically fluffed around trying to line up on a crappy tussock bush then monkey scrub neither worked then I sat down & rested on my knee by then he,d moved into the scrub I think he mite have heard me rustling around but never winded me I gave a roar & he just turned and looked over but all I could see was a big black rack ,neck a foot wide & a bit of his back...gone
    I reckon he was around 350 away I probably shouldn't have wound my scope on full power kicking my self now it was habit as my 2506 scope only go,s to 7 so usually wind it rite up , on the bright side he,s pretty much undisturbed would have been worse if I had missed or wounded him there was no point going in after him so I sat there for another hour but he never reappeared ..il be back tomorrow first light !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Boaraxa View Post
    il be back tomorrow first light !!!
    That's the spirit, maybe you develop a bad cold this evening and need a few days of work next week....
    hotsoup likes this.

Get some support to steady that rifle, maybe some cross sticks?

223nut any joy with that White tail? Our has he been the grey ghost?

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    Get some support to steady that rifle, maybe some cross sticks?
    Initially i didn't want to get closer to the action incase the wind changed or i disturbed unseen animals so sat back i was banking on something following the game trail across the face & had a plan for that as there was a small clearing that would put me 200 meters away from the gametrail but that bigboy made his own trails lol no shit the manuka was parting iv got it in my mind i should be able to fit a jug of beer in each top but yes i think a shooting apparatus could be good in that scrub country seemly hunting & fishing have a telescopic device

223nut any joy with that White tail? Our has he been the grey ghost?
    Haven't been looking, found a wee freezer filler but no time to put into the big guy

Haven't been looking, found a wee freezer filler but no time to put into the big guy
    Man that's gotta suck.
    Well when you don't have the time you don't have the time!
    Have you seen any other heads come off the island as good as that?

@Boaraxa any luck his morning???
    @Sideshow was a bloody good head I saw pics of last week.... Real long range.... Over the edge of the boat with a pocket knife, from memory he was a 6 or 8 with heaps of mass at his bases

@Boaraxa any luck his morning???
    @Sideshow was a bloody good head I saw pics of last week.... Real long range.... Over the edge of the boat with a pocket knife, from memory he was a 6 or 8 with heaps of mass at his bases

Himmm not my ideal way of taking a trophy.
    I remember one from the lords river back in the early 1990's was in Rod and Rifle. Was the kids first deer as well
    Wonder if anyone has a pick of that one? It was on the cover, around 92 to 96

Man that's gotta suck.
    Well when you don't have the time you don't have the time!
    Have you seen any other heads come off the island as good as that?
    This is the time of the year to make the time !! @223nut get the gone hunting sign out , yes I did go out this morning & I did blood hells cannon re: stags 2017 ...its not the bigboy but a nice head all the same !
    223nut likes this.

Bit of roaring in the mornings in national park area over the weekend
    Petros_mk, Gibo and Danny like this.

Got a goat with the bow and a mate got a hind yesterday morning in northern pureora, but nothing roaring there yet.