Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Hunter shot in Kaimanawa ranges

I just don't go into the bush at all this time of year. The land down here is very open so that helps.
    However when I lived in Katikati I stayed out of the Kaimai's during the roar.

I have told the story on here of the occurrence that changed my mind forever about being in the bush this time of year. At H & F Tauranga talking to a guy I knew working there when a car load of hunters walked in on their way into the bush for a roar trip.
    One was clearly pissed which is fine as I presume he was one of the passengers. This guy wobbled up to the counter and asked for some ammo, the salesman asked what caliber ..... and waited...... the guy looked at the box's of ammo on the shelf for awhile and mumbled something about going back to the car to check his gun. This pissed fuckwit didn't even know if he owned a 308 , 270 , etc etc.
    At that moment I decided that was it, I didn't want to be in the bush at that time off year with people like this walking around looking for something to shoot with a high powered rifle.

Funny how Bow hunters never shoot each other ? Gotta get in close for the shot, real close, patience and skill.

To the guys on this forum I wish you a successful roar, an exciting roar but most of all a safe roar so you can go home to wife's , friends, kids and the rest of your life.
    The guy shot up in the Kaimai's was a Kati boy like me and was 4-5 yrs ahead of me in school. I never knew him but it was close enough to ram the decision home that I stay out this time off year.
    sometimes, keneff and Paddy79 like this.

Ive 30 years of hunting ruahines and kawekas in an oilskin or swandri weather dependent never been shot, why? because i don't wear BLAZE ORANGE because when faded it takes on similar colour as a red deer at certain times of the year and then bang your shot.

Better to be wearing camo or green and not be seen in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Blaser, 199p, GWH and 4 others like this.
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

Quote Originally Posted by petree View Post
    Any up date on how the poor guys are going? Person shot and shooter?

Not really.......last I heard (late this afternoon) was that the victim was still alive. Comment from the person who I spoke to who attended was 'at least two lives fucked....'. So no really useful insights, imo.

It might not even be a case of what people are wearing, but a case of people in the bush with a loaded gun waiting for the ‘animal’ they hear close by to step into a clear spot to pull the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    Not really.......last I heard (late this afternoon) was that the victim was still alive. Comment from the person who I spoke to who attended was 'at least two lives fucked....'. So no really useful insights, imo.
    Nightmare for both family’s

Just wear blue mate. Movement is what deer pick up. Plenty of deer been shot by blokes in blue alswannies or blaze. Sticks out like dogs balls in the bush and doesn't under any circumstances look like a deer.

All the science says is that deer can distinguish blue from green. Which they can't from orange. The deer still needs context and to see an outline to identify what you are

agree, Blue is most un natural colour there is.

Had a phone call from the eldest son earlier to tell me it is my nephew,still hanging in there,in a coma,lost spleen a kidney,perforated bowel.more surgery tonight.
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out

Sickening. Hope he makes it.

Can anyone say where it was, what happened, how far away, what was he wearing, caliber and optics ? These things get sanitised by the time an official report comes out.

Hats off to the first aid he recieved, Was it any special antibleeding stuff used ?

Score one each for heroic on site care, locator beacons and rescue helicopters.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Sickening. Hope he makes it.
    +1
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by madjon_ View Post
    Had a phone call from the eldest son earlier to tell me it is my nephew,still hanging in there,in a coma,lost spleen a kidney,perforated bowel.more surgery tonight.
    Best of luck mate

Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    Can anyone say where it was, what happened, how far away, what was he wearing, caliber and optics ? These things get sanitised by the time an official report comes out.

Hats off to the first aid he recieved, Was it any special antibleeding stuff used ?

Score one each for heroic on site care, locator beacons and rescue helicopters.
    heard it was about a mile in behind the oamaru ...... plb was used and the chopper was there pretty damn quick ...picked him up and set down in a river bed so emergency first aid could be given to stabilise him before heading off to waikato......

sorry ... taupo hospital not waikato ....... skills knowledge and good judgment from the crew