Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Hunter shot in Kaimanawa ranges

Banned
    Yep, the haemostatic agents are hard to use on intra abdominal wounds. I'm picking he would have been getting sicker by the minute. A masterstroke here was the waikato crew meeting them in taupo with a stack of o neg blood. This would have been vital to carry oxygen to his heart muscle and brain. Hope he recovers well.
    Emergency services need better funding to keep doing this.
    chainsaw, Blisters and Cordite like this.

Update on Zane,tubes coming out today,been bringing him round slowly,he gave a nurse the fingers this morning.
    They were going to operate again for fragments in the spine but are now going to leave them.
    on a colostomy bag for three to six months.
    199p, gadgetman, Rusky and 4 others like this.
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Quote Originally Posted by madjon_ View Post
    Update on Zane,tubes coming out today,been bringing him round slowly,he gave a nurse the fingers this morning.
    They were going to operate again for fragments in the spine but are now going to leave them.
    Good luck Zane, keep up the great progress.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

One lucky guy ! Speedy recovery Zane, and keep giving those nurses the finger ay
    GWH likes this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Oh man oh man. Prognosis sounds positive all things considered. I feel for his mate too.

speedy recovery, one lucky/unlucky bugger.

Yes speedy recovery.
    Thank god help arrived in time and that they were able to call in the help. From the posts above that's what saved his bacon.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Quote Originally Posted by madjon_ View Post
    Pass on my best wishes. Me and my ugly mate were in the back seat of the Squirrel on the trip into the Oamaru....

B

Quote Originally Posted by stevodog View Post
    Yep, the haemostatic agents are hard to use on intra abdominal wounds. I'm picking he would have been getting sicker by the minute. A masterstroke here was the waikato crew meeting them in taupo with a stack of o neg blood. This would have been vital to carry oxygen to his heart muscle and brain. Hope he recovers well.
    Emergency services need better funding to keep doing this.
    Amen! And let's also write to our local MPs about this.

Zane hopefully will survive and display his PLB on the mantelpiece for many years to come.

No excuse not to carry one as they have become a bit smaller and lighter over the years...

Name:  rion_controls.jpg
Views: 923
Size:  364.4 KB

Name:  ggl01nt.jpg
Views: 849
Size:  50.1 KB

Name:  ggl16.jpg
Views: 860
Size:  71.3 KB

I think that makes the point.
    Last edited by Cordite; 11-05-2018 at 11:40 AM.
    dannyb likes this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Kaimanawa shooting

Firstly, can anyone tell me how the hunter from Tauranga is? Secondly, I went hunting in the same area just two days after this incident without knowing this happened, although means nothing, and can tell everyone that the area is reasonably open where most shots would be at least 25-45 mtrs. I never wear high vis and neither does my hunting partner. I guess I have been hunting too long and too careful? The question I have to all is... Did these shootings happen 30 years ago? I don't remember any, although not saying they didn't, and obviously is it stag fever or just bloody idiots in the bush who cannot tell the difference between an animal with 4 legs and that of one that walks on 2 legs and in this case twice the height? Sorry to the family of the person who was shot and shame on the idiots who shoot before investigating what they are shooting at. Note to all hunters....YOU OWN IT WHEN YOU PULL THE TRIGGER......you can't say sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    What I want to know about both these incidents recently is what were the guys wearing? I guess this will come out in the inquest for the poor bugger in the Kaimais. Hope like hell the bloke today pulls through.

I read again recently the research regarding deer sight, the colour spectrums they see, UV reflection etc. Debated again with the wife tonight about her reservations about hunting public land, especially bush. She’s not happy about going into public land anymore - flatly refuses the Kaimais despite the fact we look right at them out the bloody kitchen window.

Problem is its hard to get a definitive position from the science, someone that will say “Deer see X, Y and Z and that’s it”. Its more like well maybe its XYZ but could be ABC and more besides. Luckily we hunt mostly private but I think we take it for granted sometimes and should still wear some kind of hiviz. Whilst we hunt as a couple or with our kids, we only ever take one rifle... its the other bugger that we don’t know is there thats our concern.
    I have heard of multiple people getting shot at in the kawekas.......I am buying my first rifle this year and I've decided on a long range one so I can stay out in the tops in open so 'hopefully' I won't get shot at. Gonna stay away from the bush!!

Auckland, until I can escape south....to Southland.
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmTom View Post
    I have heard of multiple people getting shot at in the kawekas.......I am buying my first rifle this year and I've decided on a long range one so I can stay out in the tops in open so 'hopefully' I won't get shot at. Gonna stay away from the bush!!
    There are certain times of the year, I don’t hunt, Easter being one.
    Don’t limit yourself to bush, or tops. Just pick the safest time to spend quality time hunting.
    I’m bloody careful who I hunt with, but you need to remember that others, not connected to you, could be in the same area.
    Just exercise common sense.
    And post up some Kaweka pics, love that place !
    He nui to ngaromanga, he iti to putanga.

You depart with mighty boasts, but you come back having done little.
    Sounds like a typical hunting trip !

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmTom View Post
    If its your first rifle, go for an all rounder . A special long range one won't make it much safer for you. You'll still need to spend a lot of time crawling around in the scrub. A mid weight 270 will be good to quite long range and OK in the bush too.

I doubt that hunting private land is much safer either unless perhaps you're on your own.

The best way to dramatically tilt the odds in your favour seems to be to find something else to do for the month of April just not chasing deer.
    shooternz likes this.

Haven't heard any updates on on our colleague's situation....we're all thinking of the family and hope he is repairing well....I am also thinking of the poor bugga that had a brainfart .....we hope you can come to terms with your mistake...us old buggas remember how we got buck fever too and didn't always think properly....
    Tahr likes this.

Hi Madjon...how is the nephew getting on...I think there would be many of the guys on the forum keen to know he's recovering well...give him the best wishes from us all..
    Blisters likes this.