Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Hunting day bag suggestions

I also have the Markhor 35 ltr as well. Little large for day hunts and fine for a couple of nights at huts but tight for fly camping with a bed roll (done all 3 with mine) etc.
    Great on the day hunt however if you have some boned out legs and back steaks to carry out.
    I do use the carry loops on the back for my rifle but if the pack is full it does put a lot of weight a long way out from your back.
    If you could balance it then having the rifle on the side would be better.
    Z
    Jacobbabs likes this.

Cactus huntaway is pretty solid. I have taken to putting a fleece top over it. Just a cheapy from the warehouse.
    Cuts the noise right down. If you aren't bush hunting then no need.
    Jacobbabs likes this.

Cheers for all the advice, its much appreciated.

iv got a simple huntec bag with a washable canvas liner inside it

keeps the meat nice and clean then just turn it inside out hose it out and chuck it in the washing machine

Iv got others but I keep coming back to this one due to the clean meat aspect
    Micky Duck and Jacobbabs like this.

https://huntechoutdoors.com/product/25litre-day-pack/

I think this is the new version of what im talking about
    Jacobbabs likes this.

I'used one of these for years. After animal is down, meat in the canvas bag and stuff your other items down between the fleece and canvas sac and in my hunting belt pouches.. But i see this update has a pouch on the front which is handy.
    Bill999 and Jacobbabs like this.

Old seatbelt adapted to fit on right shoulder strap instead of padded one Which is tucked out of the way,,main pack compressed down,doesn’t affect gun shouldering position ,shoot deer,remove seatbelt strap and use padded ones to carry boned out deer.
    Bill999 and Jacobbabs like this.

Have canvas meat bag to put meat into to keep pack clean.
    Jacobbabs likes this.

Hi there anyone know how the Twinneedle mollyme pack goes in the bush. I do more bush hunting and so after a day pack with little noise. Is the mollyme quiet. This question was asked before but only see answers about the cactus pack. Don't really want to add a fleece top to quieten it down

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    I'm starting to think the other way. I used to hunt with a pikau or pack with flat nylon straps, then upgraded to flasher bigger packs but find the padded straps are effing hopeless when shouldering the rifle to take a shot. Butt of rifle is unstable, and eye doesn't line up with sights like it usually does. Okay in more open country when you can take the pack off before taking a shot, but not much good bush stalking.
    All you need to do is keep your hip belt tight and slip your shouting arm out when you think a shot might be on - I do it all the time no drama.

Quote Originally Posted by pj85 View Post
    Hi there anyone know how the Twinneedle mollyme pack goes in the bush. I do more bush hunting and so after a day pack with little noise. Is the mollyme quiet. This question was asked before but only see answers about the cactus pack. Don't really want to add a fleece top to quieten it down
    I have both the cactus huntaway and the molly me. I’d say the molly me is slightly quieter but it is still noisey if pushing through the thick stuff.
    I do all my bush hunting with the molly me and find if your careful and go slow enough it does the job fine. It sits quite close in to your body and you are able to cinch it in which helps.
    If you want something super quiet the huntech 40l is a good option.

Quote Originally Posted by kimber08 View Post
    If you want something super quiet the huntech 40l is a good option.
    Hey there, do you know what kind of weight you can carry in it at $150 seems like a great option for carrying out meat, if it can handle a bit of a load?

sneakywaza I got
    Must be something wrong with me, my K2, is my dayhunt back pack.
    - Carry a whole animal larger than a rabbit in it
    - Use it as a shooting support over high tussock
    - Use it to snooze on in horrible terrain
    - Use it as a wind shield for my brew making
    - Use it to hide behind when cover is sparse
    - Caught out overnight, take your boots off and stick your feet and boots in, dry warm feet and dry boots in the morning.
    308, Fred Fisherman, Ned and 1 others like this.

Started with a potato sack pikau, beer bottle tops in the corners and bailing twine straps, lightweight and very effective. hindquarters always made into back pack with back steaks in the pikau.
    The huntech pikau is about as effective with better straps and canvas bag. Ridgeline pikau is similar with padded straps and a front zip pocket which is useful. Personally, I dont like all the 25-30L day packs with a million pockets, buckles, belts and whistles.
    The K2 Hunter is an excellent pack which I have used as my main pack for 30 odd years, carried a lot of meat and still going strong after minor upgrade.
    Macpac Weka and Osprey tempest would be very good day pack which would serve as overnight pack, no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr300WSM View Post
    Hey there, do you know what kind of weight you can carry in it at $150 seems like a great option for carrying out meat, if it can handle a bit of a load?

I can only comment on the older NZ made ones as I used one for over 10 years and a mate I hunt with still uses one.
    They handled a good load of meat with ease and lasted really well.
    The newer huntech ones are the same design just made overseas.
    I went to twin needle and cactus because I prefer nz made.