Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Hunting partner wanted

Quote Originally Posted by un4giv3n View Post
    Sounds good, although not sure how good I’ll be in that situation until I manage to get myself a FAL and rifle. I’ll keep your offer in mind and work on getting the gadgets together and flick you a message maybe a bit further down the track
    Speaking of gadgets, ive recently learned that for phones there are GPS apps which rival my several hundred dollar garmin. I guess the only issue is that phone batteries might run out faster than a garmin. I downloaded the app called "NZ Topo50 Offline South Island Map" and it seems to work ok (there should be a north island version), costs a few dollars. Of course cant 100% rely on technology as sometimes things go wrong, so having a compass and printing/laminating a topo map of the area is always important for backup.

Quote Originally Posted by JessicaChen View Post
    Speaking of gadgets, ive recently learned that for phones there are GPS apps which rival my several hundred dollar garmin. I guess the only issue is that phone batteries might run out faster than a garmin. I downloaded the app called "NZ Topo50 Offline South Island Map" and it seems to work ok (there should be a north island version), costs a few dollars. Of course cant 100% rely on technology as sometimes things go wrong, so having a compass and printing/laminating a topo map of the area is always important for backup.
    Couldn’t agree more. That’s one thing that’s drilled in to us at cadet and certainly something I try to pass on. Always pays to have the trusty compass and topo map. Although my nav in general is pretty rusty since I don’t get out nearly as much as I’d like and stuck in an office instead hahaha
    JessicaChen likes this.

I'll chip in with a PM as well. Know next to nothing about local hunting but recently sorted out a 308 and need to do something with it. I can offer some stories about hunting back in Africa for the nights but I'm wise enough to shut up about it if it isn't your thing

Quote Originally Posted by JessicaChen View Post
    I only use my phone with topo maps, never let me down even in full canopy cover. Have a 20000mAh battery which can charge my phone 11 times. Waterproof cover keeps phone dry.

Backup is Garmin Inreach and compass+map if all fails
    JessicaChen likes this.

This thread reminds me of Married at first sight, not that I watch it personally (wife tunes in and subjects me to torture). We should change this to "hunting at first sight".

Jokes aside, I've met one or 2 good buggers on here which I keep in touch with and get out for a hunt with on an annual basis. Finding a hunting buddy who thinks and hunts in a similar manner and is happy to be alone with you days on end in all types of terrain and conditions is what it's all about.
    Happy Jack likes this.

@Rusky, I’m sure you don’t watch it with your wife haha!

Yeah I agree, bit of a weird way to meet people but been successful so far. Already met another forum member today and he turned out to be a good guy!
    Rusky likes this.