Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree159Likes

Thread: Idiot D.O.C and clueless NZDA

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by tetawa View Post
    Lot of farms I know of around here muster the goats and off to the works, don't encourage hunters. Know one farmer who allows a hunter on, the cocky gets $20 a goat, hunter has a market, suits both.
    I called into pickup some Indian takeaway from my local on the way home from a hunt one day, Indian fella got yarning and quizzed me on what had I been hunting, and asked if I ever hunted Goats, and that if i did he would be keen to buy them LOL. It always cracks me up that in almost any Curry shop the goat version of a dish is always at least $1 more expensive than the Lamb version.
    chainsaw, Micky Duck and 40mm like this.

Don’t really understand your issue tbh. Looks like a cool idea to me.
    ebf, Micky Duck and A330driver like this.

Firstly for someone who judges me from where I live , look in the mirror and judge yourself by the same standard.
    Some clearly do not see the situation for what it is but by what they think they can gain. Winter is the worst time ever to go into the unknown ,paddocks are swamps? and rivers high. Lambing has started or near over and remember No Sheep-No Meat-No Wool-No milk(for some)-No Income.And as for poaching ask any Cocky/Forester about it?.
    Goat numbers on DOC land in the Waikato/Ruapehu districts are not high ,but on private land they can be and some rely on those goats to keep them afloat as that area is not the best.
    And for a little additional information , I have been an NZDA member since 1990/1
    outlander likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tankd View Post
    Firstly for someone who judges me from where I live , look in the mirror and judge yourself by the same standard.
    Some clearly do not see the situation for what it is but by what they think they can gain. Winter is the worst time ever to go into the unknown ,paddocks are swamps? and rivers high. Lambing has started or near over and remember No Sheep-No Meat-No Wool-No milk(for some)-No Income.And as for poaching ask any Cocky/Forester about it?.
    Goat numbers on DOC land in the Waikato/Ruapehu districts are not high ,but on private land they can be and some rely on those goats to keep them afloat as that area is not the best.
    And for a little additional information , I have been an NZDA member since 1990/1
    There are plenty of goats on DOC land, the problem is there only easy to shoot when they leave it to feed in the cockies paddock. Plus many small DOC reserves boundary on to private bush and farmland.

The comment wasn't a judgement of where you lived (shit a quarter of our populations up in Auckland) but rather pointing out that it hoped it was personally effecting you and was a real problem rather than one you thought up. Ie if its a problem for farmers let them complain for themselves theres plenty on here. And for reference I come from a farm with goats in the Bay of Plenty where my family are based and talking on the phone they like many on here commented thats its good to see a positive hunting iniative. (will they let people hunt the farm no but we keep the goats in check ourselves) I also have quite a few mates that farm and while they dont like poachers non are concerned that the comps going to be some dramatic end of the world increase in poaching.

Winters a great time to hunt its less crowded, yeh its wet and cold but seriously not that big a deal especially as i dont see anyone planning any big multiday backpack goat trips for a comp. As for lambing again easy to not allow access and poachers poach regardless except maybe instead of goats they will poach deer or pigs. I dont know any farm that relies on goats but know plenty that make money of them we used to both cull and live capture goats down by Mokau on a friends farm. The thing is every goat on the farm is a sheep that you dont have feed for and that damages fences so it doesnt make sense to keep around $50-60 for a goat when you could farm an extra sheep instead.

Again I dont see the issue.

Idea is good timing maybe not so much.
    There won't be any shooting going on on our property. With the amount of lambs and ewes around these days even lambing beats are a thing if the past as they do more harm then good. With the lack of wether flocks these days pretty much every available paddock will be taken up with lambing ewes. We don't start until the 5th so right in the wrong time for us.
    Still plenty of doc reserves around but you won't get the numbers you are able to get on the open farm land
    tetawa and Moa Hunter like this.

I quite often take a rifle on the lambing beat
    Wouldnt want people who dont know sheep to be wandering around my lambing paddocks though.
    Non lambing areas would be no big deal though.

Admittedly some Composite sheep breeds can be a bit flighty.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    "goats are nimble and quick compared to deer"

Lol goats are bumbling idiots compared to deer
    They are nature's spoonheads to be sure, but when was the last time you saw one hit by a car?

Quote Originally Posted by T.FOYE View Post
    They are nature's spoonheads to be sure, but when was the last time you saw one hit by a car?
    Used to get a few taken out from south of PioPio thru to Awakino.
    Mauser308 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tetawa View Post
    Lot of farms I know of around here muster the goats and off to the works, don't encourage hunters. Know one farmer who allows a hunter on, the cocky gets $20 a goat, hunter has a market, suits both.
    That's what my rellies did when they farmed by Piopio.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Are you normally a Debbie downer? Negative Nelly?

Quote Originally Posted by dogmatix View Post
    That's what my rellies did when they farmed by Piopio.
    Yeh, we were based out of Te Kuiti and it certainly was good money back in the day, one weekend we had 25,000 head on a 50 acre block, the road was lined with big trucks all day, all off to Wairoa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Micky Duck and berg243 like this.
    Dan M

Well done. 126 hinds removed by NZDA members.

https://nzgameanimalcouncil.org.nz/l...ement-project/
    Trout, ishoot10s, Mooseman and 8 others like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post

Yes and no, would be more of an impact to hunters and animal numbers getting the locked gate over the paper road taken down so people could access the area easier
    Danny, matagouri and woods223 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post

Good result....far better than the lastest 1080 drop in the Tongariro region Friday just been.
    Carbine, Danny, Ned and 1 others like this.