Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Introducing kids to the bush

Quote Originally Posted by hebe View Post
    Hi all,

I’m a new dad and at the moment bush trips of any kind seem a long long way off.
    To those with kids, when did you start taking them out?
    Just looking to start planning for the future when the young fella sleeps etc to give me something else to do.
    Any advice of any kind hugely appreciated.
    my kids were bought up in the bush - I took my kids out for short evening hunts when they were 4-5 -but I had prepared them for rifle shots and yes blood and guts - its all about the intro and not surprising them with something they have not experienced - allowing them to be present when I bought a deer home and watching skinning and meat preparation - the whole process from shooting to freezer to plate and then when they came out and I shot one with them it was easier when it came to the gutting bit - did make it easier when they had seen the chooks copping it and some possum shooting chucked in - possibly not what you are asking if you simply want to get the kids out in the scrub - I have taken many many kids out into the bush for first time - involve them in the planning - can start with this - look kids there is no shop - so we are camping out for two days - what do you want for breakfast because we are carrying it in- preparation - there is no TV - what we carry in that's it - its all about preparation and not suprising them when ya cant produce potato chips on demand - if kids know what they can expect they can accept the situation they are presented with a lot better - avoid bribes like the plague - no sorry harden them up a bit - tea in the scrub to night is exactly what we planned thats what we said and that is what is being cooked tonight - I know a bit of a rave but I have done this so many times I can avoid the bloody pitfalls - but ya cant beat an open fire some willow sticks and a good sausage sizzle - I have never struck a kid who did not like that - if ya want to give them something different well burley upo some eels and try to hand feed them - kids I have taken out loved it

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Similar theme to most other posts. #1 was out back country with me before he was 3. #2 joined #1 & me when he was a similar age. We did have the use of huts that made it easier when the weather was shite. Both still like to come away with dad to these places now as a nostalgic thing, they are both in their twenties now and we share the memories.
    Plenty of plinking with the 22 or 223 was top of the list after a morning hunt and still is to this day.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Am going with my son in law and grandson for his first “big” hunt , as he calls it today
    Son in law has permission for a block, bit of a Bach so we’ll get an evening and morning hunt in
    Not sure who’s more excited the boy or the old ones 👍👍 he’s been bunny popping with me a few times now so knows he has to be quiet 🤫
    Oh by the way he’s nearly 10
    Micky Duck and Chur Bay like this.

I've found that the young ones will let you know when its time for them to try shooting an animal. Theres no rush, you can still hunt, and you can still harvest game, be it hares or ducks or deer etc. They will want to be involved with the cleaning and processing so long as its a normal part of life, possibly from very early on. But it often takes a few years after that before they start asking if they can have a go. The shooting part is not the part to push, the adventure and the lifestyle is what will keep us going.

The other thing I did / do was make it them take earmuffs just to make the bang less scary for them
    Husky1600 likes this.

today I watched a good mates son pull off an absolute cracker of shot to DOA a wallaby at around 200yards he was using Dads .223 over my frame pack....absolutely smoked it,that it fell down rock face leaving red smears was bonus..same lad shot first wallaby a year or two ago using my .223 its hard case hunting with him along. great lad and great company,the questions come hard n fast and often out of left field...answer them ALL honestly..... lifes learning comes at strange times and in strange places..go with it.
    hot cuppa tea,much food and binos seem to be the winners today.
    Husky1600 likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters