Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree134Likes

Thread: Introducing Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Can't wait for the story of the day you get Barry and Carrie in the one day hunt.
    Could be. I think there's a Harry to come first.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

Once the first is on the board they keep on coming, well done,nice to get an easy one, many more to come.

Im still yet to put my fingers up the butt of a deer or anything else that Iv shot, he might be pulling your leg

I do have Pig hunting friends who Jerk the pig off after it dies to prevent the Jizz tainting the meat.
    I dont bother but I also process fresh and If it worried me Id just chop it off

I have become a lot tidier a butcher after watching copious youtube clips, gone are the days of all roasts out of a deer/pig ect

If it makes you feel any better I hunted a specific cockphesant for two and a half years before I got it, still the best one I have got to date and by far the most satisfying

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    My old man has been dead a very long time but Bill you just brought him back to life for a moment. Dad used to cut the balls out of boars as quickly as he could after sticking them because he thought that would prevent the meat from becoming tainted. I used to say don’t be fucking stupid, the bloody boar had those balls all of its life with blood coursing through them and onward through the rest of its body and now that the blood flow has stopped you reckon the fucking balls are going to taint the meat, don’t be dumb. Thanks for the memory
    Micky Duck likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

And now, Barry.

Name:  barry.JPG
Views: 243
Size:  112.4 KB

I was out at the same place I shot Gary, only a paddock over.

A hind had jumped the fence out of native bush and into a sheltered paddock 300metres away, and started to hoover down her evening feed.

Mr R, his son and I sat and watched her awhile. We had seen spikers out on previous nights, and I had started thinking about my next batch of Lasagna.

I carried on watching, talking and eating chips for a few minutes and then got my rifle and belt gear, and walked up the drive, and cut across a paddock toward the hind.

I hadn't seen the spikers, but reasoned they couldn't be far away.

The light was beginning to go, so I didn't want to waste too much time.

I had a shelter belt between her and me, so I felt reasonably sure she hadn't picked me up.

I trudged across the paddock, trying to find soft ground to stand on.

About two thirds of the way across, I saw a gap in the shelter belt, and the two spikers standing staring at me .

Busted. They were too far away to shoot accurately from a standing or kneeling position, and the grass was too tall for a prone shot.

At this point, they seemed to be briefly having a discussion:

Harry: "What's he up to? seems interested in us."

Barry: "Yeah."

Harry:" Hmm."

Barry: "Well, he's in his mid 50's, obviously completely unfit, he's only carrying a 7mm08, and he smells of fried tofu."

Harry: "So, no threat?"

Barry: "Yeah"

They put their heads back down, and resumed scoffing grass.

I carried on to the corner of the paddock, gingerly climbed an electric fence at proved to be off, and moved into the treeline.

I found a tree to brace my Howa against, took a moment to chill out, and then aimed at Barry's neck, and squeezed the trigger.

I heard a faint pop of an impacting round about 150 metres downrange, Harry and the Hind took off at a brisk trot, and Barry was nowhere to be seen.

I thought I'd shot, wounded and lost my first deer, So I circled the edge of the paddock looking, then while on the phone to Mr R, glanced into the center of the paddock, and there he was, having fallen in a heap without travelling any distance.

I looked for the exit wound on the neck, and while gutting him with the help of Mr R, found that I'd pulled the shot to the left when I fired, and zapped him through the shoulder .

I used a 139 gn SST on top of 40 something grains of 2206H as per Gary .

Not skillful, but still a good result.

One lesson learned. I am retiring a knife from the field.

I have used a Pendleton lite hunter in the past, but on the recommendation of Mr R who has cut up truckloads of deer, I will keep it at home.

The reason being that the handle is too slippery and there isn't enough of a guard on it to stop a wet hand from slipping off it and onto the blade.

It was a very easy hunt. After all the frustrations of the past, I'll take it.

It was a paddock deer, carted away on a quad and small enough to cram into a Mazda sedan, so not gut busting effort.

I'm sure he'll be a good lasagna.
    Last edited by Max Headroom; 19-01-2020 at 01:39 AM.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Good stuff. Waiting on the next edition.
    Max Headroom likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Good call on the knife!
    Nothing like fingers that wobble all over the place and bend in all the wrong ways to slow the make of lasagne!
    ps I hate almost all pasta dishes and take great pleasure in tell all Italians that they have not the foggiest idea in the cooking of such dishes
    pps nice job on the deer exactly where you where aiming no need to be bashful with all that neck shot boasting Nonsense!
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Dunno how I have only just seen this thread now?
    Must be the title that threw me off.

Anyway congratulations on your first,second and third deers you are on a roll now.

On the first it didnt sound like you opened the cavity to see what the bullet actually did?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    On the first it didnt sound like you opened the cavity to see what the bullet actually did?
    I did open Larry up, haven't looked at a lot of GSW's so the impact of the round was a little lost on me.

I did see that the nosler 120 had hit a rib and punched a 20 mm hole in the chest cavity inside, but the exit wound seemed to be like an FMJ.

The neck shot was the same. small exit wound.
    veitnamcam likes this.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

the shot resulted in a dead deer.....the projectile did its job LOL. enjoy the venison.

Don't know how I missed this thread last year but enjoyed it.
    Had a guy show me how cutting the diaphragm free right around made pulling everything out so much easier. He also had a special little blade for opening up that poop hole.

Don't want to derail your thread, but on projectiles, One of my hunting mates uses the 7m08 with the factory super performance 139sst's. Generally they are devastating on standard red hinds and spiker's. But last May he dropped a nice hind only to have it getup and bolt away down into a bushy gully and gone.
    I'm a fan of the grenadeing type projectiles for the game I generally hunt. Goats, Spiker's and hinds, drop one anywhere into the chest cavity and it's all over. My large heavy bullets into the leg/shoulder just do too much damage and rite of both front legs on nice eating animals.
    Z

And now, Harry....the fawn. About the size of a medium goat.

I was out last night in the same paddock that I zapped Barry the spiker in.

I was crossing it to stake out a pond area over the rise after having laid low at the bottom corner and waited for for deer to jump the fence from DOC land 200m distant.

Southland's rolling country holds surprises from time to time.

Unknown to me there were 2 deer feeding over a small rise in another direction, this one at right angles to my intended path.

Mr R was scanning the face from his lounge window 2 paddocks away and texted me:

" Shoot one out in the paddock it's a young one. DONT SHOOT THE ONE ON BUSH EDGE ITS A HIND". Mr R is picky about what he predates on.

I altered course 90 degrees left, and walked quietly parallel to the shelter belt on the entry side of the field.

I debated as to whether to walk close in the lee of the belt where the grass was long and the cover was better, but the noise of walking was greater, or to carry on . I stuck with my course out in the open, and concentrated on impersonating a ninja stepping as quietly as possible.

I came to the edge of the rise, the light was failing, and so I just picked out the hind over the fence on DOC land, and the fawn at the edge of the paddock busy hoovering down grass without a care in the world

Rifle up, sight, aim for the shoulder, standing, knowing this is gonna be a wobbly shot. @Jusepy, you aint the only one.

BANG. The sound was louder than usual with a suppressor, the noise reflected back at me by the bush edge being so close.

Harry F went down in a hurry and did not rise again. His mum took off into the bush. She stayed nearby, giving half a dozen loud barks, before she fell silent.

Close examination showed that my 50m shot hit Harry amidships on the left hand side and scorched diagonally across the edge of both lungs before blowing out the far side closer to the shoulder.

I fear I have nuked one or both back steaks with my SST. Never mind, he'll be good eating otherwise.

He's hanging up in my garage, left there for 3 or so days.

I tried to get a ridgeline bag over him last night and found that the head and legs on (Duh, I forgot to do that) made it impossible to get the bag closed.

So I took them off with a small wire saw that I have carried for years and not used. I worked quite well.
    Last edited by Max Headroom; 30-04-2020 at 12:30 PM.
    csmiffy, Phil_H and Jusepy like this.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20