Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Second quick shot if required.

Second quick shot if required.

I'm sure most of us always try and ensure that the first shot counts, but sometimes something does go wrong.

In a situation where you end up wounding a animal, would you need a double rifle to get a quick second shot in or is there merit in considering something like a Browning Maral over a normal bolt action in thicker bush?

Well there were once these amazing things called centrefire semiautomatics.....

Have tried to ingrain a habit of working the bolt and getting a new round in automatically, i suspect the brain / muscle memory / waiting till you need another shot would tzke longer than the difference on bolt lift angles
    tetawa, 300CALMAN, Sh00ter and 3 others like this.

Always chamber another round always, it should be second nature I don't even need to think about it.
    You'd be supprised how quick you can cycle a bolt

you dont NEED one...but a Bakail .45/70 or .30/06 SxS would just about have to be a bush hunters ultimate weapon...
    I use bolt actions but did really enjoy my time usin a BLR...browning lever rifle...now that is a very good choice for bush hunting and follow up shot is VERY quick.
    a good man on a bolt is pretty darn quick...
    Cowboy, timattalon, Got-ya and 2 others like this.

The quicker your follow up shot the more likely you will miss. Plenty of time with a bolt action I reckon.
    nor-west, Ackley, mikee and 5 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Always chamber another round always, it should be second nature I don't even need to think about it.
    You'd be supprised how quick you can cycle a bolt

I agree - reload as quick as you can.

Sako lever action, effin bloody quick!
    Micky Duck likes this.

From experience the Browning Maral is excellent for this, very fast for follow up shots or subsequent animals, they point and swing like a shotgun.

It's not a must have though, you can cycle a bolt quickly too and they're much cheaper.

I always reload asap,have managed a second previously animal unseen spooked by the shot or dopey yearling wondering what just happened to mum,especially since fitting a suppressor.
    Micky Duck likes this.

After a while you will find round two is in the chamber and your looking for a target without knowing how you got there.

Blaser
    stug and 300_BLK like this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Quote Originally Posted by 300LRH View Post
    I'm sure most of us always try and ensure that the first shot counts, but sometimes something does go wrong.

In a situation where you end up wounding a animal, would you need a double rifle to get a quick second shot in or is there merit in considering something like a Browning Maral over a normal bolt action in thicker bush?
    A lot of time shooting rabbits with a bolt.22 will drill the 2nd shot as an automatic ready-to-go.

The other thing that will help is to have a very slick bolt to cut down cycle time. Some designs favour it, sometimes it comes as a bolt is worn in from new, mostly it's just proper lubrication.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    The quicker your follow up shot the more likely you will miss. Plenty of time with a bolt action I reckon.
    In the open areas where you hunt (by the look of your photos) that may be true. But in the thick stuff the animal is usually gone in a flash so if you wait you will mostly miss. Your ability to put in a quick second shot depends on a lot of things, but having it there available is very very useful.
    tikka, woods223, Got-ya and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 300CALMAN View Post
    In the open areas where you hunt (by the look of your photos) that may be true. But in the thick stuff the animal is usually gone in a flash so if you wait you will mostly miss. Your ability to put in a quick second shot depends on a lot of things, but having it there available is very very useful.
    Don't judge a book by its pics

What I was meaning but didn't say was take a breath and keep your head. Stay calm.
    Ive seen plenty of inexperienced people load immediately and blaze away aimlessly, or rush after deer without any regard for safety.

Hard to beat a lever action. A Remington pump would be a good bet as well. I have always been a big believer in having the possability of a fast follow up shot. It is no doubt a good thing to always try for one shot kills but from my experience there is a big difference between stories in a magazine and real life.
    When in heavy bush where finding animals that run even a short distance can sometimes be difficult, if I can see the animal and its still on its feet I keep shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Don't judge a book by its pics

What I was meaning but didn't say was take a breath and keep your head. Stay calm.
    Ive seen plenty of inexperienced people load immediately and blaze away aimlessly, or rush after deer without any regard for safety.
    Fare enough statement...I have also worked with a coupla chaps that were at the top of their game when it came to quick reloading.
    These guys were very fast working a bolt and two empty cases in the air at one time was the norm.
    There was a film clip taken at one particular time...seeing was believing.
    When the big bomb ups were the norm the only time you took the rifle away from the shoulder was to either reload or change a mag.
    It took a lot of practice to keep lead in the air and to hit your target ,,there were misses naturally.
    Follow up shots naturally took place.........the term slaughter on tenth avenue was often used afterward.
    Experienced guys were damn good at blazing away just like the inexperienced mentioned above,the end result however was a lot different eh.
    Tahr, Micky Duck and csmiffy like this.