Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Second quick shot if required.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    This is one reason the .303 Lee Enfields have had a resurgence post semi's. They are the fastest to operate, aim and touch off action bar none. UK gunnery types were able to outshoot the first semi autos in terms of rounds on target on the range in comparison drills but it took less training to achieve the ability to successfully deny an area / enfilade with any particular group of soldiers if they were equipped with semi's rather than bolt actions.

My reasoning for shooting with a semi was going into areas with known populations of feral ginger bastard cattle beast. No dangerous game in NZ, yeah farken right. Anyone who said that never walked around a shrub in a tight bit of bush and come face to face with one of them bastards snorting and dropping his head and locking his neck. Once was enough. Now it's walk softly, speak not and carry the biggest bloody gun you can find. 12g slugs in a rifled barrel semi shotgun are now a very viable option for those pricks.
    Spot on. Once upon a time, I got back to camp alone in the dark to be greeted by a black bull. Snorting and stamping its feet. It didn't want to be friends. I was on DOC land and pretty sure it was feral, but didn't want to shoot it and potentially get in a ruck with a nearby station. Stand off seemed a long time and I was shitting my pants. Had a round chambered and would have shot the fucker if I had to, but managed to scare it away by shouting and waving. Not a good night's sleep that night!
    Cordite and csmiffy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Don't judge a book by its pics

What I was meaning but didn't say was take a breath and keep your head. Stay calm.
    Ive seen plenty of inexperienced people load immediately and blaze away aimlessly, or rush after deer without any regard for safety.
    Ah yes "Blazing Away" is never a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    Right hand shooter, left hand rifle.
    I wonder why no army has ever adopted it...too many ruler across knuckle smacks at school

northdude
    You could always get a couple of snap caps and practice 2 shot drills in your garage or somewhere where you wont alarm people I'm left handed and can manage a rapid follow up shot with a right hand rifle when needed

Good mate on the coast and one of his good friends both run Blaser (maybe 10-15 years old-don't know model) in 300wsm. Enough punch to hit things a long way away if required and quick enough for a second shot if you do balls it up. Quick detach scopes. He showed me the video getting couple of stags out of the Robbie to put on the BBQ for my wedding. took the scope off and hit it with the open sights.

I’ve used semi autos years ago Ruger mini 14s, mini 30 and a H&K, sometimes get lazy because you get a magazine full of backup shots. I find bolt actions a lot more deliberate in shot placement. High volume bunny and goat culling on runners with a bolt action is good practice and you can cycle through shots pretty fast once mastered.

I do like the Blaser straight pull actions though And I would get one if they were in stainless.

Suppose a 308 would be enough gun for thick bush? See some guys also recommend lever actions, any recommendations

Older options would be Savage 99, Winchester 88 or Sako Finnwolf, More modern still available new options are the Browning BLR or Henry Long-ranger. I like the BLR.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by tikka View Post
    I do like the Blaser straight pull actions though And I would get one if they were in stainless.
    My barrels are now stainless after getting custom ones fitted. The main reason I done it was the bores on the standard ones rusted like a bastard here on the coast.
    Never in all the years that I have owned mine have I had rust anywhere else on the rifle except on the sling swivel studs.
    Not even on the original or after market saddle mounts I have.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
    tikka and dannyb like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Got-ya View Post
    Suppose a 308 would be enough gun for thick bush? See some guys also recommend lever actions, any recommendations

Older options would be Savage 99, Winchester 88 or Sako Finnwolf, More modern still available new options are the Browning BLR or Henry Long-ranger. I like the BLR.
    A 99 would be choice, have nice rotary mag but it’s fixed, the 88 and Finnwolf have removable box mags which is handy at times.

The Sakos trigger doesn’t come down with the lever when reloading so if you’re very careless it will bite you as you close the lever,
    In at least one of the other two the trigger comes down with the lever.

But in any event all are pretty old by now.
    Got-ya and Cigar like this.

Here is an extremely well written respectful article from the Sydney Morning Herald on a Digger who was an army sniper in the Korean War - with a scoped H-barrel SMLE No 1 Mk iii.

Describes his level of accuracy, etc., but more interestingly the taught practice of starting with a full mag, shoot 6, drop in 5.
    northdude and Matt308 like this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    My barrels are now stainless after getting custom ones fitted. The main reason I done it was the bores on the standard ones rusted like a bastard here on the coast.
    Never in all the years that I have owned mine have I had rust anywhere else on the rifle except on the sling swivel studs.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

That’s good to know, I’ve had chrome moly parkerised barrels barrels in the past when I was fishing and it was a lot of work keeping the rust out even when no shots been fired.

Bolt action and a 243 is all you need in the bush. Animals go no where and no need for follow up shots
    northdude and CATLINS HUNTER like this.

I miss my AR 15. Just saying.
    300CALMAN likes this.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

Quote Originally Posted by Finnwolf View Post
    A 99 would be choice, have nice rotary mag but it’s fixed, the 88 and Finnwolf have removable box mags which is handy at times.

The Sakos trigger doesn’t come down with the lever when reloading so if you’re very careless it will bite you as you close the lever,
    In at least one of the other two the trigger comes down with the lever.

But in any event all are pretty old by now.
    Winchester 88 trigger moves with the lever, so does the BLR.
    dannyb and Finnwolf like this.

Good footwork after the first shot and the right scope for the jobs pretty important too....